Heer's Building

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Heer

Post by RV driver »

Twail Wetard wrote:What about harry cooper?
"Harcosu" is a secret acronym standing for:
Heers
And
Rosicrucians
Conspiring
the
Overthrow
and
Subversion
of
Usa

Their evil plot consists of placing low-flow toilets in high-traffic sewer areas, causing debilitating sewer clogs that will eventually bring down the government.
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

I forgot one important detail:

These clogs will render many good drainage tunnels impassable and uninhabitable, ruing our good time!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

RV driver wrote:I forgot one important detail:

These clogs will render many good drainage tunnels impassable and uninhabitable, ruing our good time!
I'm more of a storm sewer explorer myself, but if you like the sanitary sewers... more power to ya.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
terry k
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by terry k »

RV driver wrote:
Barth's? (My wife was a good friend of the owner's daughter.)
Cloth World?
Western Auto?
Biedermann's Furniture?
Central Dodge (before it moved to west Sunshine)?
The old Channel 27?
KICK Radio?

Get busy!
Barth's: soon to be the history museum on the Square
Cloth World: Glen Aisle (now Hancock Fabrics)
Western Auto: Operated where Auto By rent is behind Krispy Kreme on glenstone
biedermann's I *think* was in Brentwood center
Central dodge: Where dillons is on st louis & national
Channel 27: 3000 E cherry (the building appears to be trashed) Building's still there.
KICK: 610 College (Building is vacant and for sale)
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

terry k wrote:
RV driver wrote:
Barth's? (My wife was a good friend of the owner's daughter.)
Cloth World?
Western Auto?
Biedermann's Furniture?
Central Dodge (before it moved to west Sunshine)?
The old Channel 27?
KICK Radio?

Get busy!
Barth's: soon to be the history museum on the Square
Cloth World: Glen Aisle (now Hancock Fabrics)
Western Auto: Operated where Auto By rent is behind Krispy Kreme on glenstone
biedermann's I *think* was in Brentwood center
Central dodge: Where dillons is on st louis & national
Channel 27: 3000 E cherry (the building appears to be trashed) Building's still there.
KICK: 610 College (Building is vacant and for sale)
Very good! A couple of corrections:
Cloth World was located right next to Western Auto, which was on the east side of Glenstone, across from the mall (where Piano Craft is now).
terry k
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by terry k »

Willard wrote:
RV driver wrote:Katz, Jupiter, Woolworth's, Venture. Anyone remember those? Or Giant Foods, with the big statue of the bag boy out front? Hungry Henry's? Rubenstein's? Stone's Barbeque? Wet Willy's? The Hi-M Drive In? A&W at the mall?
Most I don't remember, but several I know about.

Katz: Was orignally where CVS/pharmacy is on Glenstone

Jupiter: Originally Kresgees on the square where the library is now, Kresgees renamed all their five and dimes to Jupiters after they opened K-mart in 1960.

Woolworth's: was on the square. Latest occupant was Mr. Furniture. You can still see the tile where the lunch counter was on the south wall. Woolworths closed nationwide in 1993 the also owned Champs and Footlocker and renamed their stock ticker Footlocker. Not sure what's happening with them now. Woolworths was one of the original Dow Jones stocks and the year they were removed, Wal-Mart took their place.

Venture: I remember it, it's where K-Mart is now across from the mall. Mom never took us there to shop though.

Giant Foods: Not sure about that one.

Hungary Henrys: Again, no dice.

Rubinstines: Was a nice clothing store at the southwest corner of Cambell and College. It's where Remingtons Downtown is located now. The building was built on the basement of the old Ullman Hotel.
Woolworths was also on Commercial where Savoy is now.
terry k
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by terry k »

Nicotti wrote:
RV driver wrote:Riverside Inn, Robert Hall, Shady Inn, Ed Vs, Ebenezer's, Bombay Bicycle Club, Gee's, Cat & Fiddle ... and it's all being replaced by: Touch, Hollister, Gallery Bistro, Joseph Banks, Lone Star, Electric Cowboy, Hong Kong Inn, and the Outland.
Jesus!
hmmm, Touch has really good food though. Except for that peanut butter & jelly muffin they like to sell you on though, that's merely "ok".

A good place to go eat that they tore to build a cell phone store was Trotters, they had the best buffet ever. At least the one I ate at turned into a phone store, there was another one that is now some other kind of eatery.
the other Trotters was at Glenstone & Chestnut where El Maguey is today.
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

It was also corkeys too
THE THREAD KILLER!
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

terry k wrote:
Willard wrote:
RV driver wrote:Katz, Jupiter, Woolworth's, Venture. Anyone remember those? Or Giant Foods, with the big statue of the bag boy out front? Hungry Henry's? Rubenstein's? Stone's Barbeque? Wet Willy's? The Hi-M Drive In? A&W at the mall?
Most I don't remember, but several I know about.

Katz: Was orignally where CVS/pharmacy is on Glenstone

Jupiter: Originally Kresgees on the square where the library is now, Kresgees renamed all their five and dimes to Jupiters after they opened K-mart in 1960.

Woolworth's: was on the square. Latest occupant was Mr. Furniture. You can still see the tile where the lunch counter was on the south wall. Woolworths closed nationwide in 1993 the also owned Champs and Footlocker and renamed their stock ticker Footlocker. Not sure what's happening with them now. Woolworths was one of the original Dow Jones stocks and the year they were removed, Wal-Mart took their place.

Venture: I remember it, it's where K-Mart is now across from the mall. Mom never took us there to shop though.

Giant Foods: Not sure about that one.

Hungary Henrys: Again, no dice.

Rubinstines: Was a nice clothing store at the southwest corner of Cambell and College. It's where Remingtons Downtown is located now. The building was built on the basement of the old Ullman Hotel.
Woolworths was also on Commercial where Savoy is now.
That must have been after Ed V's (originally Ed. V. Williams) moved out to the Glen Isle Shopping Center.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

terry k wrote:
Nicotti wrote:
RV driver wrote:Riverside Inn, Robert Hall, Shady Inn, Ed Vs, Ebenezer's, Bombay Bicycle Club, Gee's, Cat & Fiddle ... and it's all being replaced by: Touch, Hollister, Gallery Bistro, Joseph Banks, Lone Star, Electric Cowboy, Hong Kong Inn, and the Outland.
Jesus!
hmmm, Touch has really good food though. Except for that peanut butter & jelly muffin they like to sell you on though, that's merely "ok".

A good place to go eat that they tore to build a cell phone store was Trotters, they had the best buffet ever. At least the one I ate at turned into a phone store, there was another one that is now some other kind of eatery.
The three Trotters in town were: Battlefield and National, NW Corner; Kansas Expy. and Kerney, NE Corner; and the last as you stated.

Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Twail Wetard wrote:It was also corkeys too
Actually it was called Porkeys which is a BBQ chain out of Memphis. Good BBQ, bad location at that time. Ate at the one here and also ate at one in Memphis. (wonder if they got the name from the movie?)

ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

or if the movie got the name form them???????????
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

Willard wrote:
Twail Wetard wrote:It was also corkeys too
Actually it was called Porkeys which is a BBQ chain out of Memphis. Good BBQ, bad location at that time. Ate at the one here and also ate at one in Memphis. (wonder if they got the name from the movie?)

Dude, Bullshit! I call mother fucking Bullshit, your wrong! It was called corkeys, I had a dog named corkey, this is how I know
THE THREAD KILLER!
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

Willard wrote:
terry k wrote:
Nicotti wrote: hmmm, Touch has really good food though. Except for that peanut butter & jelly muffin they like to sell you on though, that's merely "ok".

The three Trotters in town were: Battlefield and National, NW Corner; Kansas Expy. and Kerney, NE Corner; and the last as you stated.

At Kansas and kearney it was tinys
THE THREAD KILLER!
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

RV driver wrote:Hungry Henry's was an upscale restaurant in the (then) Hilton Hotel (now abandoned, I think) on the north side of the I-44/65 interchange.

Stone's Barbeque was on Division, about Sherman or so -- there's a little strip center that used to have a laundromat and a Git-n-Go on the north side. A second location was where 5 Spice is located (Was a What-a-Burger years ago).
(Speaking of fast food, there was also a Burger Chef in the little center where the IGA is on Campbell and Sunshine.)

What about the Sunshine Raquet Club? Barth's? (My wife was a good friend of the owner's daughter.) Levy Wolf? Ms. Persnickety? Cloth World? Western Auto? Biedermann's Furniture? Stereo Buff? House of Sound? The Baptist Hospital? Aaron's Transmission? Cheong's? Central Dodge (before it moved to west Sunshine)? The old Channel 27? KICK Radio? United Health Center? Beggar's Banquet? Liberty Sound? Petite 3 Cinema? Dairy Sweet? Bear Book and Record? Toyota (before it moved out to east Sunshine)? Shotgun Sam's? Rice's? Wilson's Catalog Outlet? Colonel Day's Levi's Emporium? Farmer's Market on Glenstone? National Art Shop (before it moved to the corner of National and Elm)? Lines Music? Third Eye Music (before it moved to east Meadowmere)? Ebbet's Field (before it moved to Walnut Street)? Scorpio Massage? The old Datsun dealership? Wicker Works? Martin Music?

Get busy!
An old hilton at 44/65? Where?

Also you should enlighten us on these locations! :)