Heer's Building

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: Heer

Post by Willard »

RV driver wrote:Katz, Jupiter, Woolworth's, Venture. Anyone remember those? Or Giant Foods, with the big statue of the bag boy out front? Hungry Henry's? Rubenstein's? Stone's Barbeque? Wet Willy's? The Hi-M Drive In? A&W at the mall?
Most I don't remember, but several I know about.

Katz: Was orignally where CVS/pharmacy is on Glenstone

Jupiter: Originally Kresgees on the square where the library is now, Kresgees renamed all their five and dimes to Jupiters after they opened K-mart in 1960.

Woolworth's: was on the square. Latest occupant was Mr. Furniture. You can still see the tile where the lunch counter was on the south wall. Woolworths closed nationwide in 1993 the also owned Champs and Footlocker and renamed their stock ticker Footlocker. Not sure what's happening with them now. Woolworths was one of the original Dow Jones stocks and the year they were removed, Wal-Mart took their place.

Venture: I remember it, it's where K-Mart is now across from the mall. Mom never took us there to shop though.

Giant Foods: Not sure about that one.

Hungary Henrys: Again, no dice.

Rubinstines: Was a nice clothing store at the southwest corner of Cambell and College. It's where Remingtons Downtown is located now. The building was built on the basement of the old Ullman Hotel.

Stones Barbeque: Not sure.

Wet Willys: Most of us have at least heard of it. Used to be on South Cambell about where Andy's is south of the James River Freeway.

Hi-M Drive-in: Closed before my time. Duplexes and houses there now. Entrance is right across from Westly United Methodist on Republic Road. You can still see the old fence from the drive in. It runs the east side and north side as a property divider.

A&W in the mall: Don't recall, but I know the A&W stand used to be on Kerney where the McDonalds is now. McDonalds originally was a hamburger stand located in the large parking lot to the west. The other Hamburger stand McDonalds was located on West Sunshine where the newer McDonalds is now.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I know Wet Willy's, I've seen movies at the Hi M and at Queen City Twin, but then again I've also been to Heers when it was open and even saw a doctor in the Professional Building when there were medical doctors there and not PhDs. How about Tastee Freeze at the West Bypass and Chestnut?
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Darn old people's and their yesteryear remembrances.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

Willard wrote:
RV driver wrote:Katz, Jupiter, Woolworth's, Venture. Anyone remember those? Or Giant Foods, with the big statue of the bag boy out front? Hungry Henry's? Rubenstein's? Stone's Barbeque? Wet Willy's? The Hi-M Drive In? A&W at the mall?
Most I don't remember, but several I know about.

Katz: Was orignally where CVS/pharmacy is on Glenstone

Jupiter: Originally Kresgees on the square where the library is now, Kresgees renamed all their five and dimes to Jupiters after they opened K-mart in 1960.

Woolworth's: was on the square. Latest occupant was Mr. Furniture. You can still see the tile where the lunch counter was on the south wall. Woolworths closed nationwide in 1993 the also owned Champs and Footlocker and renamed their stock ticker Footlocker. Not sure what's happening with them now. Woolworths was one of the original Dow Jones stocks and the year they were removed, Wal-Mart took their place.

Venture: I remember it, it's where K-Mart is now across from the mall. Mom never took us there to shop though.

Giant Foods: Not sure about that one.

Hungary Henrys: Again, no dice.

Rubinstines: Was a nice clothing store at the southwest corner of Cambell and College. It's where Remingtons Downtown is located now. The building was built on the basement of the old Ullman Hotel.

Stones Barbeque: Not sure.

Wet Willys: Most of us have at least heard of it. Used to be on South Cambell about where Andy's is south of the James River Freeway.

Hi-M Drive-in: Closed before my time. Duplexes and houses there now. Entrance is right across from Westly United Methodist on Republic Road. You can still see the old fence from the drive in. It runs the east side and north side as a property divider.

A&W in the mall: Don't recall, but I know the A&W stand used to be on Kerney where the McDonalds is now. McDonalds originally was a hamburger stand located in the large parking lot to the west. The other Hamburger stand McDonalds was located on West Sunshine where the newer McDonalds is now.
Giant foods was where hobby Lobby is now. There was a big statue of a bag boy where the Pineapple Whip trailer sets up on the corner. Plus, Service Merchandise used to be where Mardel is. Sad, sad day when that place went out!

Hungry Henry's was an upscale restaurant in the (then) Hilton Hotel (now abandoned, I think) on the north side of the I-44/65 interchange.

Stone's Barbeque was on Division, about Sherman or so -- there's a little strip center that used to have a laundromat and a Git-n-Go on the north side. A second location was where 5 Spice is located (Was a What-a-Burger years ago).
(Speaking of fast food, there was also a Burger Chef in the little center where the IGA is on Campbell and Sunshine.)

What about the Sunshine Raquet Club? Barth's? (My wife was a good friend of the owner's daughter.) Levy Wolf? Ms. Persnickety? Cloth World? Western Auto? Biedermann's Furniture? Stereo Buff? House of Sound? The Baptist Hospital? Aaron's Transmission? Cheong's? Central Dodge (before it moved to west Sunshine)? The old Channel 27? KICK Radio? United Health Center? Beggar's Banquet? Liberty Sound? Petite 3 Cinema? Dairy Sweet? Bear Book and Record? Toyota (before it moved out to east Sunshine)? Shotgun Sam's? Rice's? Wilson's Catalog Outlet? Colonel Day's Levi's Emporium? Farmer's Market on Glenstone? National Art Shop (before it moved to the corner of National and Elm)? Lines Music? Third Eye Music (before it moved to east Meadowmere)? Ebbet's Field (before it moved to Walnut Street)? Scorpio Massage? The old Datsun dealership? Wicker Works? Martin Music?

Get busy!
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I remember the days when Sportsman Pickup Covers was outside of town.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Petite 3 and across the street was the Fremont Theatre.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
vinix1999
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Heer's Building

Post by vinix1999 »

Does anyone remember when Battlefield Mall was new and they briefly had a place called "Jonathan's American Grill" or something similar, where the A&W was later? It was different in that the burgers came plain and you added toppings yourself.

I also worked at the Fremont 3 back in the day; I was I had visited it when Dickinson had upgraded it before it closed.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

I see this is your 1st post, so welcome aboard the site. :D
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

I used to go to the drive in where Sams is now on Sunshine. They had three screens and I would turn around and see things on the other screens that probably would not be the best for small children to see :)
Kit wrote:I am old
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

wow, that wouldnt be good. :shock:
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by The Count »

BROUSER wrote:No, no, no, Willard. You have it all wrong. The Heer's building was originally an Aztec temple to the sun, built around 5,000 B.C. It is estimated there were at least 3,000 human sacrifices a year. After the Spanish defeated the Aztecs and stole all their gold, the temple was transformed into a Catholic church from 1612 to 1730, and then the Pilgrims moved in and opened Ye Olde Haberdashery and Whatnot Shoppe. Ok, I'm boring myself. Anyone want to pick this up and run with it?
Yeh it was built to summon the aliens, and the faint glimpses of light told them which direction to build it. But then the aliens said "Nah we're just fuckin with you, we want it turned 59 degrees to the north" so they had to tear it down and rebuild it.

And I heard 2700 sacrifices a year not 3000 like you said, interesting :lol:
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

:D
DeathByMoth
BANNED
BANNED

Post by DeathByMoth »

The Count wrote:
BROUSER wrote:No, no, no, Willard. You have it all wrong. The Heer's building was originally an Aztec temple to the sun, built around 5,000 B.C. It is estimated there were at least 3,000 human sacrifices a year. After the Spanish defeated the Aztecs and stole all their gold, the temple was transformed into a Catholic church from 1612 to 1730, and then the Pilgrims moved in and opened Ye Olde Haberdashery and Whatnot Shoppe. Ok, I'm boring myself. Anyone want to pick this up and run with it?
Yeh it was built to summon the aliens, and the faint glimpses of light told them which direction to build it. But then the aliens said "Nah we're just fuckin with you, we want it turned 59 degrees to the north" so they had to tear it down and rebuild it.

And I heard 2700 sacrifices a year not 3000 like you said, interesting :lol:

You didn't mention that the gold was originally stolen from the millions of Jewish people who lived in North America 3 thousand years ago. The cunning but fearful Azteks waited patiently for the chance to steal it, and when Jesus appeared to help the Jews do battle against their enemies, they knew the time was right.

They took advantage of the chaos to loot the Jew's massive cities, and steal the Jew's precious treasures. All except the Egyptian relics the Jews had cleverly hidden in multiple small caves. Those would wait patiently for nearly three millennia, for a humble man named Russel Burrows, who would, upon recognizing their clear scientific and archaeological significance, immediately melt them down and sell them for their metal weight.

But not before informing the Scientific Community of them... and denying them any access to the originals. Instead he chose the more logical option: Crafting poorly made lead replicas, painting them gold, and then attempting to pass off said lead replicas as authentic Egyptian artifacts. Despite apparently being made by a heavily sedated, autistic chimpanzee, he would later confess that these were merely "precise replicas" of the original Golden Tablets. Luckily, there were still several priceless stone carvings to not only back up his claims, but also to revolutionize the way we think about the seafaring capabilities of early man.

Russels, being an ardent man of vision, obviously chose to sell those at wholesale to various flea markets and pawn shops. Also at conventions and to private collectors. Really, he sold them to anybody as long as their opinions held absolutely no scientific merit whatsoever.

Today, most people discredit his amazing discoveries, calling him things like "a dangerous lunatic", or "the next Joseph Smith". Those people, who have never even eaten 5 ounces of mushrooms, attended a mystery school, or talked with Sirius, are just uninformed skeptics.
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by RV driver »

Wow. And all this time I thought Elvis did it, while disguised as Twiggy, disguised as Don Knotts. This would certainly explain the emaciated appearance of the Greys captured in Roswell. They were actually Elvis (disguised as Knotts) and two skinny waiters from Club 57, wearing ill-fitting spandex.

"The Incredible Mr. Limpet" is actually a subliminal communique between Elvis and J. Edgar Hoover regarding the presidential election of 1972, wherein plans were made to "deep six" McGovern. It worked. The republicans won that pivotal election, prefiguring Ford becoming president by default, and faking a "fall" out of Air Force 1.

In photogrpahs of the "accident," taken by the media who were present (and slipped past members of the Illuminati, who were busy playing Strip Texas Hold 'em at the time), Ford's outstretched right hand can clearly be seen pointing along a line from the airport to Heer's tower, delineating the vector along which Voyager 1 would travel when it met with the Soyuz vehicle carrying actual aliens from a secret summit with Sam Walton and top men from the tobacco industry. "Joe Camel," thought to be a cartoon advertising ploy, was actually the puppet master of Associated Wholesale Grocers, who were placed in charge of distributing the ergot-tainted grain produced in Tindle Mills.

This grain was distributed to members of the Federal Reserve, inducing them to make certain financial decisions that have directly (but surreptitiously) led to a downturn in consumer goods.

Ironically, this downturn had a negative effect on Heer's, causing it to close in the mid-1990s.

Most people don't know that the building is being secretly used to guide Aurora stealthcraft as they travel across the midwest, landing at Downtown Airport to refuel in the wee hours. Harry Cooper Supply is implicated ...
But that's another story...
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

What about harry cooper?
THE THREAD KILLER!