Carthage mines

Urban exploration in Missouri
ljasonl
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Carthage mines

Post by ljasonl »

I was thinking of paying a visit to them sometime soon. Maybe even this weekend. Can anyone offer some details on where exactly a good access point is? I'd like to see this lake in there, I have an inflatable kayak I can pack in on my back.
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Re: Carthage mines

Post by cobcob »

it's in carthage... where the old mines are
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

cobcob wrote:it's in carthage... where the old mines are
Can you prove this? ;)

This weekend is not a good weeked to go regardless... With all the rain we have had in the past few days it's a real mess trying to get in and out.
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

cousin wrote:Can you prove this? ;)
Nope :lol: :lol:
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

And if you want to get technical, all the mines in carthage have been long covered up. But there are certian other things of interest under carthage
ljasonl
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ljasonl »

cobcob wrote:it's in carthage... where the old mines are
Yeah thanks :roll:
I've never been to Carthage. Are you saying I just drive around and I'll see it?
This weekend is not a good weeked to go regardless... With all the rain we have had in the past few days it's a real mess trying to get in and out.
Indeed, I'll definitely save it for another time.
And if you want to get technical, all the mines in carthage have been long covered up. But there are certian other things of interest under carthage
Can you explain please, or give me a link? Are you saying the mines aren't accessible? What other things?
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

RE: Carthage mines

Post by MONKEYMANN »

Are you refering to the carthage underground....or an actual mine from the Lead and Zink mining days of this area????
Carthage underground is still accessable...at your own risk of getting caught...
I don't know of any area mines though that arn't filled up with water...except for a couple but their in the joplin area
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

I would have to go look at my maps... too lazy to go do, but it's a safe bet there were less than 10 true mines in the carthage city limits. There were a handful of quarries in the city limits, but all have been closed and covered.

There are a few on the ourskirts of Carthage, quarries, but most of them flooded when the mining in the area came to a rest. I have been scuba diving in a couple, that was kinda interesting, noting really cool, but oh well.

Certian things of interest under Carthage, now that is a whole other story...

Of course there is the rumored Carthage Cave, that is still being decided, but I do know there is some sort of cave under carthage, how big that is yet to be determined.

Then there is the rumored tunnel system under the square, even said to have gone out of town North to Kendrick Town, now that would be one wet trip, considering it goes under Spring River.

There are a couple known natural caves in the area.

The biggest problem with the "Carthage Underground" is why it was originally closed, being the main reason they don't want anyone in there. The stone at that site is very weak and has a bad habit of falling from the roof. And the owners really don't want a lawsuit, evolving from some person deciding to go play down there and get smooshed. I guess it would be a cheap casket, there wouldn't be much left to burry.
ljasonl
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Carthage mines

Post by ljasonl »

Yeah, Carthage underground, my bad. This is what I was looking at - http://www.undergroundozarks.com/carthage.html

Rocks falling from the roof doesn't sound good, but I'd think the risk is pretty insignificant for a single visit. I could see it being a problem if you spent a lot of time down there though.
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

It only takes one stone to ruin the day...

I don't have a problem going out there, but right now it's way to muddy to go. It's a big enough PITA without wet ground and even worse right now.