Houn' Dawg Plant

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Houn' Dawg Plant

Post by Sertile »

Hey! I meant to post this a couple of days ago, but I got kind of swamped. You know that rock climbing class I'm taking? Well if you didn't know, I'm taking one, and soon my climbing skills should rival those of WR (yeah right..)

So the other day I got to tour the old Houn' Dawg dog food factory downtown and let me tell you all, it was AWESOME. It was, without a doubt, the biggest, most elaborate mill I've ever had the pleasure of exploring. The whole thing's about 12 stories tall, it's got 6 or 8 grain silos, offices, warehouse space, outbuildings, huge factory floors, stairwells, ladders, catwalks, towers, the works. The rooftops are easily accessible several different ways, and it's even got one of those sweet overpass/bridge things connecting the two towers up top, AND a manlift!

And the best part is, I got to go repelling off the top of the silos! I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it - I was terrifed at the time - but it was pretty cool in retrospect.

ANYWAY, Houn' Dawg's not really "abandoned," but it's not in business anymore, either. Long story short, the guy who owns Houn' Dawg now is the same guy who owns Petra, the rock-climbing gym, and he was letting us use it. In fact, he plans on turning the whole mill into a climbing facility, someday.

What does this mean to you? Well, I was able to hammer out a deal with the owner, through his secretary, concerning UO. I just told them about us, straight up, and said how we were urban explorers who had already hit a couple of mills, and asked if we could tour theirs while we were at it. Amazingly he agreed, and they're actually willing to give us free reign to explore the place, with a few limitations. One being I have to call ahead, another being it needs to be during ofice hours (weekdays 9-5), and the third being we are allowed to photograph the site, but the owner himself would like a copy, on CD, of any pictures we plan to post online.

So, anyone up for it? I'm hoping to get a group of at least 3 or 4 people together to go sometime in the next week or three and really check the place out. I mean, I've seen it already, but this is just something too good to keep to myself. Plus it would make an excellent gallery for the site, believe me (WR, I'm looking at you).

The only problem is I know a lot of you work, so 9-5 might not be possible. Anyway, if anyone's interested POST and we can talk about it here.

PS: Picture's forthcoming... sorry, running behind here.
atron
Jedi Infiltrator
Jedi Infiltrator

RE: Houn' Dawg Plant

Post by atron »

im game for wed.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I'm totally into it, but the only days I can make a 9-5 trip up there are on Mondays or Sundays.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I'm not sure if weekends are an option, but I could definitely make it on a Monday. I'm pretty sure they won't be open tomorrow, on account of the holiday, but how about next Monday? Could you do Mondays, Atron?
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

I'd be game and could this week except Wednesday. I get off at 3:30, the next week I get off at 7 every night though. pm'ing you Sertile
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Houn' Dawg Plant

Post by White Rabbit »

Sertile wrote:I'm not sure if weekends are an option, but I could definitely make it on a Monday. I'm pretty sure they won't be open tomorrow, on account of the holiday, but how about next Monday? Could you do Mondays, Atron?
I can do next Monday.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Since I work 10-7 next Monday, let me know if you all plan on going back some other day. I'd try to get off but I don't think "exploring a factory" would be a good enough excuse to my boss's. :)
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Well, I actually have a rare Tuesday off after that Monday, if that's better for anyone else. Which, that would be the 7th, I think.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I could probably go Mon or Tues. Tues might work better, since they wanted me to call the day before. My girlfriend will be in town then, so maybe I can take her, too.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I wonder if he'd let us throw a watermelon off the roof.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

I CAN GO! I just looked at my schedule and I don't work next week until the 9th! :D So if you don't mind me tagging along, I'd love to go.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Is this still going on next week and details?
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Looks like Tues, June 7, if that's alright with everyone. So far there's you (Anne), WR, and myself, and I'll probably bring my girlfriend since she's going to be in town next week. Can you make it then, Atron? And where's Willard? I figured he'd jump at the chance to tour an old building. Might not be old enough, though. We'll have to decide on a time, too. I'm thinking we should try to get there around 2 or 3, if not sooner, so we'll have plenty of time before they close.

Remember people, this is 100% legal so there's no reason not to go!
SandMan
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by SandMan »

Kind of off-topic from your upcoming trip there but...

Were they still a bunch of guys that work for Clay living at the plant? Last time I was in there they had the longest slack line I have ever seen set up along with a bunch of campus boards and such. This was all back there were they make the holds.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I can go, I was just waiting for a definate date to be nailed down before I commited... lucky for me I have Tuesday off.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude