Daniel Caves, Vichy Mo

Urban exploration in Missouri
Versatile
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Daniel Caves, Vichy Mo

Post by Versatile »

Just SW of Rolla Airport about a mile or a little more and the off in the brush about 3/4 mile. Does anyone have info or been there.
Pain is nothing more than fear leaving your body.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Daniel Caves, Vichy Mo

Post by Willard »

Nope, but it looks like something to check out. I wished I had been more into exploration when I was going to university at Rolla. :(
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: Daniel Caves, Vichy Mo

Post by ropingk »

I live in that area the airport is just a few miles from my house--i used to live on the edge of it--what is it you are looking for?????---and are you talking about the Rolla Airport at Vichy??????
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Versatile
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Versatile »

It is just a cave that i found on a TOPO map. On July 16th 1958 a F8F Bearcat fighter aircraft took off from the Rolla/Vichy airport. Immediately after take off he had engine failure. Crash landed down in that creek bottom. Have searched the creek bottom on one farm where i thought it happened. The farmer said he had inherited the place and had never been on parts of it. He knew nothing of the incident. Spoke with a woman that grew up on the next farm down stream and she remembers the story but was away at college at the time and thought it was on the farm i went too.
Everyone at the airport has arrived after that time and know nothing of the actual facts. The will include Lee Maples that has a host of Warbirds at the airport. I was green at what i was doing at the time and went to the newspaper in Rolla. I read the first account about the crash and didn't read on past that edition to see if there was a follow up on the story as to the aircraft being removed. I was also warned not to go in the brush during pot growng season as that is a big growing area. Any ifo you might come up with would be great to hear.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

well it WAS a big pot growing area however with the new ATF black bird Helo it isnt as much as it once was, I can tell you this i lived on a dairy farm right next to the airport and if you walked from out farm through the brush you will come to a group of little buildings--most likely bunkers but made to look like little cottages I never knew about a cave I still live a few mile away but if a fighter took off it does not take long to put a lot of miles behing him so which direction was he going??? how far did he get??? adn what was the name of the owner of the farm he crasjed on??? and as far as a river are you talking about the Gasconade river? or a creek???
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Versatile
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Versatile »

You would go southwest on Route FF about 2 miles 4,314 ft. The creek is is just a small one and not named. It isn't Rocky Branch. The aircraft left on the SW Runway and had failure immediately. I think i am at the site. Most likely they hauled it out of there. Or go to the creek at the bottom and go back about 3600 ft. Don't remember the farmers name. As you go SW on FF past the quarry you will find a house on the right and then the driveway and barn. The house is very close to the road and the driveway is kinda uphill the best i remember. I think we opened a gate by the garage on the south side of the building. You then go down over the hill on the farm.
The cave is at the bottom of FF to where Mill Creek crosses FF and then about 2600 ft up Mill Creek.

Versatile
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Versatile »

Anyone gonna get up to this cave this year?

Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Daniel Caves, Vichy Mo

Post by Nicotti »

Willard wrote:I wished I had been more into exploration when I was going to university at Rolla.
Hey I went to UMR too, for 5 semesters, when were you there?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: Daniel Caves, Vichy Mo

Post by Willard »

Nicotti wrote:
Willard wrote:I wished I had been more into exploration when I was going to university at Rolla.
Hey I went to UMR too, for 5 semesters, when were you there?
Fall 2000, Spring/Fall 2001
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Fall 2000, Spring/Fall 2001
Hmm missed you, I dropped out of there at the end of fall '99 semester. Started in fall of '97.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Versatile wrote: read the first account about the crash and didn't read on past that edition to see if there was a follow up on the story as to the aircraft being removed.
Treasure hunting, I take it? I wouldn't get my hopes up if so... in all probability the wreckage was removed. They usually don't just leave that stuff around.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Versatile
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Versatile »

I am not searching for tha AC anymore actually. Back then they often did leave stuff where it went down depending on the location. Up until about 1964 the govt used to close out a small base and everything there including aircraft that wouldn't fly went in the hole as well. I am just interested in what the cave turns out to be like. The woman that grew up on that farm knew nothing of the cave at all until i told her about it. She grew up on the farm in the early 50's.

TimStone
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by TimStone »

We used to own property in about that area. I know of several caves you can see in the fall traveling on hwy 63 heading tword Vichy. I'll tell you more if your still interested.
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Freak »

That definitely looks like a room and pillar quarry, but how far does it extend off the property? It could just be the stubs of one end of a quarry mine that was destroyed when they went deeper for the open pit.
Skullbowl
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Skullbowl »

If anyone can get more information about this I'd definitely be willing to go check it out.