What do you do to protect your self in Scary Area's?

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

What do you do to protect your self in Scary Area's?

Post by MONKEYMANN »

I was just curious if anyone went in "Packing" when they went into "Less then favorable" areas.
I've seen some postings on here regarding East St. Louis...
I've been there, but only to POP's to see a band play...I wouldn't even think about going into the "Inner" part of East St. Louis with out "Heat". And even then I wouldn't feel safe...
Just Curious....
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Re: What do you do to protect your self in Scary Area

Post by Kit »

waiting on my call from the sheriffs office so i can carry at all times. But i have my gun with me all the time just not hidden
Kit wrote:I am old
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

RE: What do you do to protect your self in Scary Area's?

Post by MONKEYMANN »

Don't you have to go through a Conceal Carry Gun Safety course, as well as apply for a license through the sherrif's office??? I was going to do that...but I don't own a gun anymore...hahaha....Not yet anyway!!
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

yes a class, qualify on an Automatic and a revolver, set an appt with the sheriff and wait for the back ground check. Which is where i am at now.
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

Do you have to actually talk to the sheriff?
If so...do you have to have any particular reason given for wanting to carry a concealed weapon???
Not that I think that law obiding people should need any reason other then to keep the thugs away!!!! Just curious.
thechariot
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by thechariot »

i bring a 4 inch buck knife at all times. its folds up nicely and is easy to stuff into a pocket. i dont provoke anyone or anything, but you never know what kind of nut is in these buildings and what do they have to lose? nothing at all so if theyre going to try and hurt me, im definitely going to fuck them up.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

no i just had to go in and fill out a paper and have my prints taken. pay my $100 and it was all good.
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

A knife is alright as a back up weapon...however if you encounter a group of "Thugs"...that knife isn't going to save you life...especially if they have a gun...which alot of them do!
Not that any of us should have to be carrying weapons while doing UEing, but when you are going into places like East St. Louis, or parts of Kansas City...I think that your just playing russian roulette with you life...too may thugs and gangbangers who don't value human life like we do...
thechariot
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: RE: What do you do to protect your self in Scary Area's?

Post by thechariot »

MONKEYMANN wrote:A knife is alright as a back up weapon...however if you encounter a group of "Thugs"...that knife isn't going to save you life...especially if they have a gun...which alot of them do!
Not that any of us should have to be carrying weapons while doing UEing, but when you are going into places like East St. Louis, or parts of Kansas City...I think that your just playing russian roulette with you life...too may thugs and gangbangers who don't value human life like we do...
definitely, but the only gun i have isnt legal, and involves two hands for its use. plus if the situation came down to that, it would be one big mess.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I don't bring anything and I doubt there's a situation where I would. I figure it's a lot less likely that someone's going to want to attack me than it is that I could get caught and searched--and cops do not find that stuff amusing at all when you're already trespassing.
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

White Rabbit wrote:I don't bring anything and I doubt there's a situation where I would. I figure it's a lot less likely that someone's going to want to attack me than it is that I could get caught and searched--and cops do not find that stuff amusing at all when you're already trespassing.
^^^agreed.
...i've come across bums...street people..whatever. Even most "thugs" need a reason to screw with you. If you look strange or go out of your way to fit a profile then you might have a harder time but for the most part if you just look like a regular dude peeps are gonna leave you alone...and if somebody tries to get you......run away really really fast...and if you can't run really fast maybe you should get in better shape for some of that stuff.
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

I will note mine isnt for UE.. but for some of the places i go and some of the people i meet for work
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

I guess I've just seen too many episodes of cops....
It just seems like there are more and more violent criminals out there...just wouldn't want to take a chance on getting hurt or killed...especially if I was going into an area like East St. Louis or parts of KC...
And Yes...I know it kind of throws whole other "wrench" into the gears if your carrying a gun and get stopped by the cops...however if you are "Legally" carrying it and have a Concealed Carry permit...the cops can kiss my ass...the way I look at it is...I'm not a criminal...I'm legally carrying it...I would imeadiatly tell them about the gun if stopped...and if they want to give me a hard time about it...the next stop I would make is to their chief to ask why I was being harrassed for something I am doing legally...
Just for the record...I don't own a gun...I just saw where some of you guys had been exploring in some pretty seedy places and wondered how you approached your personal safety in these areas...
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

I also very much agree with WR regarding the trespassing issue and how it would definatly be exaserbated by a person also carrying a gun legally or not....

Trespassing + Gun...probably = Handcuffs
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

MONKEYMANN wrote:I also very much agree with WR regarding the trespassing issue and how it would definatly be exaserbated by a person also carrying a gun legally or not....

Trespassing + Gun...probably = Handcuffs
Oh, if you got caught trespassing with a gun, you'd definitely be spending one or more nights in jail. Not to mention, a misdemeanor trespass would become felony burglary or worse and they would throw the book at you at warp speed.

And that's if you got nice cops.