Mindwaave's 2022 Rearview Boogaloo (photo-heavy)

You can talk about anything here
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Mindwaave's 2022 Rearview Boogaloo (photo-heavy)

Post by mindwaave »

SubLunar wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:50 amI want to guilt trip all of you into making your very own "2022 Year In Review" thread for the rest of us here to enjoy. Especially now that we can just attach photos, there's no excuse not to.
Well then, consider my guilt tripped! I'm admittedly guilty of (road)tripping this year! Here are some pics to prove they happened!

Heavy industry, videogames, cellular phones, hospitals, agriculture, and your mom all rely on deez astoundingly large, precise machines. I feel like they are under appreciated and under-understood!

Later one cold night, we verified the source of some tragically historic sulfur fumes...

Then we paid a visit to a big assbestosy Mill!

This one particularly Gnarly Hesh of a dude showed us around this dead mall he knew:

Later on, Panic! and I opportunistically time-travelled to 1958! Yeah, you bet your ass we did!!

Upon returning to the year 2022, instead of sharing our time machine with the world, we presented a marine biology course:

SubLunar and I then felt that The Time Had Come to party hardy with our buddies. What we experienced was the best time ever, until it suddenly became the worst time ever. Ugh.

Fortunately there were alternative Ozark undergrounds around... Check out the nasty water here!

We even found a unique foundry, upon resurfacing from the underworld.

I've hiked as often as I can with Panic! for many years. Before the more hellish hikes of my summer began, we got to see Mina Sauk Falls, and briefly be the tallest people in Missouri!

For reasons related to Da Beeg Plaan, I drove through a tornadic storm to the faraway land of mountains with few oxygen molecules.

Biked with some bikin' buddies!!

I had hoped to meet the elusive Western Wizard of the West, who graciously diverted his own travel to come inspect a mine with us!

The drive from Colorado to Utah is 10-12 hours of varied, jaw-droppingly stunning stone & sky. Which I have no photos of because these mountainous routes and the local drivers on them are both equally batshit insane, and demanded my undivided attention while in transit. I had business in Utah of the businessy variety. While there, I was able to aid in the business of consuming $x,xxx.xx in world-class whiskeys, quite unexpectedly.

This Lake was too salty (and toxic) for my taste, but was less expensive than the local alcohols...

Soon after, I got swept-away by a wild, mighty river which tossed us around amongst the most magnificent rocks I'd ever seen:

The next day, we found ourselves hiking between some rocks, a hard place, and 102 degrees of solar heat:

We've already established that I am capable of time-travel. Well, without much prior planning, I proceeded to teleport to a jungle island! Let's move from reds to greens and see El Yunque National Rainforest first:

San Juan felt like a constant party! That one rhythm you can hear in your head was bumpin' from every car and every building! Such insane bustle.

Game recognize Game:

We caught some fish, then caught a protest against the local power company LUMA, known to be corrupt in the face of natural disasters...

And then later got pulled-into dancing at a Salsa concert in the heart of the island! The singer José Alberto had epic pipes and was belting for hours up there. Huge props to El Canario, and (another) cheers to the gracious and welcoming people of Mayagüez, whose beer is great 🍻

The friendly gate guard at the SHEERLY EPIC location below did not let me inside because I showed-up on the wrong day :( Nor did he sit there to watch Contact with me for the next two and a half hours :( :( :(

My friends (and I) insisted on doing the beach house thing while there - and boy was the sunburn worth it! We kayaked and swam in bright, vivid blue bioluminescent mangrove waters on a warm, moonless night... and a sea turtle befriended me and swam beside me for ~8 minutes while snorkeling the day after - they have gnarly third-eyelids!! I also learned how to paddleboard! They are far more durable and expensive than I'd expected!!

Lookit deez coconutz

Alas, in the early darkness one morning, I teleported back home so that I wouldn't miss a chess match with my buddy!

These two big birbs still be chillin you-know-where, and we got to introduce some friends from outta town to them!

Oh yeah and we did a wonderfully summery bridge!

I haven't been able to show everywhere I went during the last year, as some spots are too hot to trot. Here are some assorted shots from my remaining excursions as the year closed. Also glad to have met and made new friends 😎 (including but not limited to a Penguin named Petey who offered me a dark, dirty time on motorbikes - I could not decline such an offer)

2022 was difficult and challenging outside of urbex, but it was worlds more enjoyable than the two years prior! 2023 will likely not hold as much longer distance travel in-store for me, but my plans for 2024 are starting to take shape... Might even need a camper van...

See ya'll out there!
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Mindwaave's 2022 Rearview Boogaloo (photo-heavy)

Post by SubLunar »

Dude this is ridiculous. Crazy awesome/variety of stuff here.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Thanks man. It was a unique year for me and it took weeks to sort-thru the photos...

I sure wish your injury had not occurred. But I'm glad you got taken care-of and healed well, and that it didn't ruin your entire 2022!

btw, do you see yourself doing any film photography in 2023?

Preservation over plunder.
showmestateofmind
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by showmestateofmind »

I'm jealous, but also terrified. You went balls out omfg. Def adding San Juan to my list of must visits, looks amazing. Love to the lou
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

mindwaave wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:20 am
btw, do you see yourself doing any film photography in 2023?
Haha, well I actually haven't even thought doing about that in a while so thanks for the reminder.

The main problem for me has been getting it developed and then getting it scanned at a decent resolution. I've bought some negative holder/slide things and have been intending to just "scan" them myself by mounting them to some light source like a window and taking photos of them. But that shit is SO TEDIOUS that I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. Because THEN you would still have to crop/edit them and flip the negative to.. uh.. positive? I dabbled with it a little once and there's more to it than just hitting the "invert colors" or whatever button.

This post here is my ultimate, never going to top, magnum opus of my work with film. I will probably never even try to do anything this bold again when it comes to film. I REALLY need to just suck it up and "scan" these negatives to give these photos some justice. You can tell just how crappy and pixelated the scans were, they really don't do the film, nor the subject matter justice. But this post is 100% film (crappily scanned to digital).

Ghost Towns, Bad Lands and Yellow Stones

And I'm not lying in the extremely long but well written ;) blog post when I say that had the film not turned out, I legit wouldn't have had any real photos of these places beyond a few phone pictures. That was a huge and pretty stupid gamble on my part, especially considering I had just bought that camera on ebay and hadn't tested it out yet.

On this 3,589 mile road trip, I only busted out the digital camera for a brief moment in the Badlands at night to test out the settings I would need to use without wasting film in the film camera to do test shots. But my efforts were interrupted by an oncoming storm before I could switch to film that night. By the time we got to the last real stop on the trip, I had used up all my film and thus shot the Wyoming State Penitentiary with my digital camera, the only point of the trip where I actually used it.

Fun fact #2: the camera responsible for the film photos you posted a link to actually died at Armour when I decided to try something different there having already captured Armour digitally several times. Of the two rolls of film I brought: one was ruined right off the bat and the other barely survived. I had to unwind it by hand in the dark and seal it up for the developer with a warning that it was bare undeveloped negatives inside. That was right before the Yellerstone trip and for some insane reason still thought it would be fun to try doing it all on film.