Missouri Morel Season

You can talk about anything here
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Re: Missouri Morel Season

Post by slow_walker »

I used to go mushroom hunting with my dad, but haven't been in years. I wouldn't mind maybe doing a little this year, but I'm not as familiar with the area as you guys are. So, I have a stupid question (i'm pretty sure the answer is no). I live near Wilson's Creek, am I allowed to pick mushrooms in the park?
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I think that morel hunting is not regulated on any public lands, but you might call. They may not want you off the trails too much out there. You would probably be ok hunting out at Bois d'Arc CA, though.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Missouri Morel Season

Post by paul06660 »

I just got done remembering a few places downtown where I have found morels growing.
I notice that they seem to grow in town very well, just the same as in the country. Man, I cant wait to go hunting in a few days. Ill post pics of my finds.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

It's still a little early to start looking, but here in a week or two they will probably start showing up, especially after the rain, and if the suns comes out.

The place to look is on the hillside, just above a bottom. Also be looking around trees that grow around creekbeds. Check the north side of the trees, in and around roots. Also, anywhere you see a large crop of Mayflowers, you'd better be looking for morels as well - they thrive is similar soil conditions.

When you "harvest" the mushroom, make sure and cut it at the stem - don't ever pull the entire mushroom out. By leaving the root intact, the mushroom will likely regrow very soon.

When preparing the mushrooms, make sure and get AS MANY of those little bugs inside out - soak them for quite a while to get the bugs and dirt out. If not properly cleaned, your stomach will not be thanking you later!! :?

Good luck hunting!
Last edited by lolabelle on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Soak in salt water, right?
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

yeppers. thats what we usually do.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

I usually use saltwater too for cleaning them, I let them soak for a few hours.
I have picked ones that have started to dry up a little, but as soon as they get in water they soften right up. Man I cant wait!!!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I hate the smell but my mom always puts just a little viniger in the salt water it s suposded to get rid of the bugs i dont know if it does but it dosent hurt the taste
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

Ewwww....mushrooms.
caver
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by caver »

It was a family tradition for us back in the early 70's.
There's usually maps online that are updated as people find them.
http://morelmushroomhunting.com/morel_p ... gs_map.htm
Dad always looks around dead Elm trees. During the family outings when I was a kid my Dad would be looking around dead Elm trees and my Mom would find the first one looking in some other place.
When Mayapples start coming up it's a good sign that Morels are coming up. Growing season lasts maybe a month.
Split in half and put in salt water like others mentioned. Change the salt water and you can keep them for several days in the refrigerator. My parents have had good luck freezing them. We dip them in egg batter and then roll them in cracker crumbs. Fry in butter/vegatable oil.
Caving impaired,,,too old, too fat, don't care.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Morels are out already. My brother called today and said he found a bunch.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Son of a bitch. I was down in the woods today and thought last night would have been too cold. My brother and dad looked yesterday but didn't find any.
― Ken Ham
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

My room mate yesterday told me that it was"way to fucking early in the season" to find morels. I went and looked in one spot we found some last year. I did not have the chance to dig through the leaves, however I have a good feeling that they are growing. We found like 20 of them growing in that spot last year.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, I think my brother got a fluke (although I'm thinking they'll sprout up anytime now if it'll just get warm). Because I looked around a bunch today and checked a few reliable patches and nothing yet.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

If we get another sunny day, they should be on southeast slopes first.
― Ken Ham