Sauer Castle.

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Re: RE: Sauer Castle.

Post by slow_walker »

redox wrote:
Scout wrote:Confederate General Jo Shelby of Waverly, Missouri. He was famous in his time, but is little heard of overall in this day. He and his Brigade rode off into Mexico rather than surrender.
I think you're pulling my leg. But I must admit, that's one nice beard...
http://www.civilwarhistory.com/shelby.htm
Cassandra
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Sauer Castle.

Post by Cassandra »

On this subject, I have been near and around the Sauer Castle, but have never had any desire to "break in" to such a place. With the property owners living next to the place, watching it like a hawk, I wouldn't dream of even rising it. Trust me, I have done such things in my early years back in high school. It's not worth it. A friend of mine told me they are very understanding people to a certain extent. I have gotten into several places just telling people I am a student at JCCO doing a photography assignment. Although, that was when I actually was a student, and have yet to try that alibi.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Not to worry. Most of the houses are close-in to this structure and occupied. It's a big yard but as was said, the caretaker is close. Ain't nobody gonna break into anything but the yard and then the dawgs are gonna get 'em.
"That old hag hates my ass."
Cassandra
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cassandra »

slow_walker wrote:
redox wrote:
Scout wrote:Confederate General Jo Shelby of Waverly, Missouri. He was famous in his time, but is little heard of overall in this day. He and his Brigade rode off into Mexico rather than surrender.
I think you're pulling my leg. But I must admit, that's one nice beard...
http://www.civilwarhistory.com/shelby.htm

I won't deny that I am from the south, and although my state was somewhat neutral, I can not get enough of the civil war. My good friend in Suwanee GA is very active in reenactments. I still get a giggle when my friend told me to dress like Quantrill and go to Lawrence.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Actually, my wife has a t-shirt with a picture of Colonel Q on it that reads:

"Lawrence is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

heheh
d3adb0y
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by d3adb0y »

The rumours about the place being haunted (while I'm not saying it's not possible... ) As far as my research on the place though... nobody died there... nobody hung themselves there...

Now another rumour (not sure if it's true) is that there is a creek or some kind of tunnel system near there that leads into the basement somehow... I also heard there were a few large DROPS in the tunnels though.

Just some info...
d3adb0y
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by d3adb0y »

I've been a LOT of places, and as far as Kansas goes... Lawrence is the only town that's even half way cool.

Wichita, Topeka, KCK... I mean... they all pretty much suck (no offense to anyone living there.)

I live in Johnson County and while there's all the amenities one needs... it's still pretty shitty.

Why I'm getting back into UE is exactly the reason I used to be a hardcore drug addict...

KANSAS IS BORING!!!!

Hopefully this will help my boredom until I move.

Scout wrote:Actually, my wife has a t-shirt with a picture of Colonel Q on it that reads:

heheh
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

nice find.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

d3adb0y wrote:I've been a LOT of places, and as far as Kansas goes... Lawrence is the only town that's even half way cool.

Wichita, Topeka, KCK... I mean... they all pretty much suck (no offense to anyone living there.)

I live in Johnson County and while there's all the amenities one needs... it's still pretty shitty.

Why I'm getting back into UE is exactly the reason I used to be a hardcore drug addict...

KANSAS IS BORING!!!!

Hopefully this will help my boredom until I move.

Scout wrote:Actually, my wife has a t-shirt with a picture of Colonel Q on it that reads:

heheh
Lots of drug addicts in Lawrence.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Wonder if anybody went to Sauer for Halloween. Lots do...
discolando
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Sauer Castle.

Post by discolando »

I just registered here to post this because my wife and I decided to randomly drive by the castle after going out for dinner on the Plaza. When we got home I did a Google search on Sauer Castle and this thread was one link that came up.

We pulled up and took some interesting photos right at dusk. Nobody was within sight, and the caretakers were nowhere to be seen. The neighborhood was quiet as usual.

Is there still any kind of interest in this place? I sure do wish someone would give it some love because it sure does need it.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

discolando wrote:I just registered here to post this because my wife and I decided to randomly drive by the castle after going out for dinner on the Plaza. When we got home I did a Google search on Sauer Castle and this thread was one link that came up.

We pulled up and took some interesting photos right at dusk. Nobody was within sight, and the caretakers were nowhere to be seen. The neighborhood was quiet as usual.

Is there still any kind of interest in this place? I sure do wish someone would give it some love because it sure does need it.
Did you read this whole thread? I didn't re-read it, but IIRC there is a lot of the info you seek right here. Why don't you post your pics? Some of us would love to see them. If the neighborhood was quiet, it was different from the time I was there. It wasn't exactly raucous but I didn't think it was quiet. Sauer is a place that you'd need to be pretty good to get into without the cops arriving very soon.
discolando
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by discolando »

Scout wrote:Did you read this whole thread? I didn't re-read it, but IIRC there is a lot of the info you seek right here. Why don't you post your pics? Some of us would love to see them. If the neighborhood was quiet, it was different from the time I was there. It wasn't exactly raucous but I didn't think it was quiet. Sauer is a place that you'd need to be pretty good to get into without the cops arriving very soon.
If you were serious about getting onto the property to explore it seemed a good time when we pulled up to the curb, which was about 8:00 in the evening. Nobody was outside and there were no signs of life at the caretaker's residence.

We're actually going to head back this weekend with a high quality camera and try to get some good shots. The photos we took last night were with our cell phone cameras which aren't that great.
evilbob
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by evilbob »

They are getting more friendly about visitors. In fact, they want to rent it out to parties but copper jawas ruined all the plumbing at the castle and it's impossible to be up to code.