Phelps Grove

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
KingMAB
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Phelps Grove

Post by KingMAB »

There are some pretty neat tunnels under this park, but watch out, Hoboho tribesmen set up camps there.
No one should brave the underworld alone.
Poe-Hello
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Phelps Grove

Post by White Rabbit »

Where at? I've always heard about tunnels at Phelps Grove, but I can't really think of any.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

have you been there? you cant miss them :)
Kit wrote:I am old
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

The tunnels are pretty cool... Also a long section of Fassnight creek was covered up eons ago heading east from where Jefferson Ave. crosses it. The crossing is right next to some commercial buildings or chruch I can't remember...
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

The only one I know of is the ones right there by the giant french fry things. Are there others?
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Oh yeah, I've been all through there. It's basically the same ditch as the one by the french fries, which is a part of Fassnight Creek, I'm thinking. You just have to go the opposite direction, West I believe, away from National and the art museum and through the park. The tunnel runs under some kind of church (Lutheran, maybe?) and through a couple of neighborhoods, coming out in amongst some houses later on. It's actually pretty long, and you can walk the length of it stooped-over, with occasional tall parts.

Seriously though, did you really see hobos down there? I never got the impression that anyone actually went down there. Not to live, anyway.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Phelps Grove

Post by White Rabbit »

Sertile wrote:Oh yeah, I've been all through there. It's basically the same ditch as the one by the french fries, which is a part of Fassnight Creek, I'm thinking. You just have to go the opposite direction, West I believe, away from National and the art museum and through the park. The tunnel runs under some kind of church (Lutheran, maybe?) and through a couple of neighborhoods, coming out in amongst some houses later on. It's actually pretty long, and you can walk the length of it stooped-over, with occasional tall parts.
Oh yeah, I have been in that one, actually. In fact, I had a good ol' time with Raven one night shining a laser light at the kids playing basketball in that church :P
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

That tunnel going west of the Phelps Grove Park in Fassnight Creek ends at Jefferson Ave.

SandMan
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by SandMan »

Sertile wrote:
Seriously though, did you really see hobos down there? I never got the impression that anyone actually went down there. Not to live, anyway.
I don't think it would be that great of a place to live. When it rain there can be some major water moving though those.
KingMAB
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by KingMAB »

Sertile wrote:
Yup, they're down there, but I didn't see "evidence" i saw them actually there. They probably can't set up permadwellings there, not like in other parts of the city, but, on nice nights they probably serve as decent shelter.
No one should brave the underworld alone.
Poe-Hello
atron
Jedi Infiltrator
Jedi Infiltrator

Post by atron »

White Rabbit wrote: Oh yeah, I have been in that one, actually. In fact, I had a good ol' time with Raven one night shining a laser light at the kids playing basketball in that church :P
Ok so did the kids think they were being snipered or something or did they just look around like a bunch of retards trying to find the laser!
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Either way I'm sure they looked like a bunch of retards!

David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

hobos certainly wouldn't live down there...

we need to have a homeless person respect thread...seriously..most of these people are homeless by choice......because they'd rather die than submit to a 9-5 lifestyle doing something they hate to buy stuff they don't need to impress people they don't know.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

atron wrote:Ok so did the kids think they were being snipered or something or did they just look around like a bunch of retards trying to find the laser!
Both teams stopped playing and they all ran out of the building to see who was screwing with their game. We just ran down into the tunnel. It was pretty funny.