Omaha, AR - Railroad tunnel?

Urban exploration in Arkansas
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Omaha, AR - Railroad tunnel?

Post by testube »

Hello everybody, loooong time no post. Been busy with life and stuff. BUT, I was recently doing some local history research and ran across a couple newspaper excerpts that caught my eye. These are from old issues of the Green Forest Tribune:

Sat, May 30, 1903:
"Railroad tunnel on the White River branch of the railroad is being completed at Omaha, Boone County. The tunnel goes under the hill where the town sits. The tunnel will require removal of 80,000 cubic yards of rock. Omaha has been platted and lots are on the market and selling rapidly."

ALSO

Sat, Aug 22, 1903:
"In a report on his visit last week to Omaha, the Tribune representative found the town booming as headquarters for construction of the Missouri Pacific Railway through north Arkansas. A three-quarter-mile tunnel is being built virtually under the town and will take at least two years to complete. Hundreds of men and their families are camped along the road."

I've been to the Charcoal Gap tunnel in Livingston Hollow, north of Eureka, but this is the first I've heard of one at Omaha. Based on the date and location, I'm guessing it could be the Cricket or Crest Tunnel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_and_Crest_Tunnels

Anyone know anything about this?
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: Omaha, AR - Railroad tunnel?

Post by testube »