Hot Springs Undergound-Hot Springs Creek Tunnels

Urban exploration in Arkansas
djfoxsr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Hot Springs Undergound-Hot Springs Creek Tunnels

Post by djfoxsr »

btw, it's about a two hour walk through the tunnel if you play and exlore a bit. also it's better to go in after dark so as not to be seen entering or exiting, so plan on it being a fairly late night. I have been during the summer and during the winter. I believe it's better to go during the summer when your body is used to the higher temperatures, so i would suggest making it fairly soon
jakethesartech2
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Hot Springs Undergound-Hot Springs Creek Tunnels

Post by jakethesartech2 »

djfoxsr wrote:Just let me know about when you are interested in going. I work 24 hours a day on call and have every other weekend off, so figure a general time and i'll let you know the exact weekends i'm off around that time. we will get it posted up in case anybody else want's to join in.
will do good sir
joelackey92
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by joelackey92 »

I live in Hot Springs and have been wanting to walk through the tunnel for quite sometime. Where is the entrance to it?
djfoxsr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by djfoxsr »

Just email me. I don't check this site often enough. djfoxsr2001@yahoo.com
Nick
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Hot Springs Undergound-Hot Springs Creek Tunnels

Post by Nick »

Hey this topic really fascinates me because I was in Hot Springs last summer for a day (I would have stayed longer but the people I was with wouldn't let me). I was under the impression that there was a free place where you could bathe in the Hot Springs water. At least thats what I was told or remember from what somebody who had been there had told me. This man told me that Hot Springs water had certain therapeutic properties to it that were do to the fact that there was an ancient meteorite that landed in the area that contained extraterrestrial algae or bacteria that thrived in this water and gave it much of its health properties.

Well I was dismayed when I arrived in Hot Springs to find out that there apparently didn't seem to be any free baths or bathing in the water, HOWEVER, after leaving with a couple area maps and researching the topic I was surprised to find out the history and the apparent fact that the water from the bathhouses drains into this tunnel. Perhaps also, some or all of the rest of the free flow of hot springs water untapped by the bathhouses goes down this tunnel as well. If not then it obviously is going somewheres else. I actually looked at the equivalent of a google earth map of the area between the exit of this tunnel and a lake several miles to the south, and it does look like there is a type of creek that runs most of the way. In several spots along this path it appears that there are pools of water however parts of the way are shaded by trees.

So another question would be, does Hot Spring creek drain into the lake to the south? I have several other questions below here too.

Its obvious that some amount hot springs water makes it into the tunnel from somewhere because I can see steam in the pictures. So what is the temperature of the water flowing out of the south tunnel exit? Is it hot and humid in the tunnel? What is the Air Temperature in the tunnel?

Are there places in the tunnel where the hot springs water can be seen freely flowing out of pipes or other smaller tunnels into the main tunnel?

If the water is Hot in the tunnel, how hot is it at points where the hot water is draining into the main hot springs creek tunnel?

Is there a north tunnel entrance? Does water flow into such an entrance from the north which mixes with the hot springs water in the tunnel, such as storm drain water or water from other springs??

If not all the hot spring free flowing excess is diverted into the tunnel, which it appears that it may not be, where does the rest of the reservoir of Hot Spring water flow go? Is it dumped into another creek or does it mix into the city municipal water/ wastewater supply? I was told that some a large amount it is cooled and then chlorinated/ fluoridated to serve as the city and surrounding areas tap water supply? Is this true?

Is it lawful to enter and explore this tunnel? That is, if caught could one be possibly charged with a crime for entering this tunnel?

And perhaps finally, is the water coming out of the tunnel SAFE to SWIM and or Bathe in? And/ or else does the water exiting the tunnel pool up in any places down creek that are possible swimming holes? Does the water stay warm or HOT in any such pools or dammed off swimming holes down the creek?

I WANT TO SWIM or BATHE in the Hot Springs water in Hot Springs, somewhere where its free!!! I don't care if it's not in some fancy bathhouse that charges $20+ dollars. I couldn't afford to pay that last time I was there anyways. I was told there was a free place to bathe. A natural setting would be better anyways. I'm pretty sure it's not allowed to bathe in any of the fountains in the park, SO WHERE ELSE CAN YOU GO FOR A FREE SOAK BESIDES THE TUNNEL EXIT, OR A MILE OR SO DOWNSTREAM FROM THERE?

It doesn't seem fair that the city would make the water free for drinking and public bottling, and even provide it as the cities water supply, but not make available a free place to bathe for the less fortunate who cannot afford it. I guess maybe all somebody has got to do is walk around in the fall or winter and look for the steam!!!

Thanks alot! Any feedback or education would be much appreciated. I don't know when I'll be back through Hot Springs. I happen to live in Austin, Texas. I was just passing through last summer coming back from the rainbow gathering. I filled up my water bottles when I was there.\

Peace Out! :D
Ultragroovy Dude!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Nick wrote:This man told me that Hot Springs water had certain therapeutic properties to it that were do to the fact that there was an ancient meteorite that landed in the area that contained extraterrestrial algae or bacteria that thrived in this water and gave it much of its health properties.
:|
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Wedge
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Wedge »

Last year there was a guy from Austin that was going to get in that scalding hot water, one way or another.

I wonder?

News story title:
Man bathes in Hot Springs fountain after learning bathhouse closed

https://katv.com/news/local/man-bathes- ... use-closed
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Years ago, most likely about 1995-97 my aunt and uncle took me down there for a weekend getaway. One of the places we toured was the Fordyce bath house. Distinctly, I remember in the basement there was a display, behind some thick glass was a cutaway of one of the brick tunnels that channeled live hot spring water. Most likely down to said tunnel. Also on display were many victorian-era bath house medical quackery items designed to burn your ass with raw hot spring water.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
rockhound92
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by rockhound92 »

Wedge wrote:Last year there was a guy from Austin that was going to get in that scalding hot water, one way or another.

I wonder?

News story title:
Man bathes in Hot Springs fountain after learning bathhouse closed

https://katv.com/news/local/man-bathes- ... use-closed
This by far is not the first time. I have witnessed it on two different occasions.
Boredom is the deadliest poison.
WILLIAM F. BUCKLEY, JR