Drain by Sonic on Glenstone in Springfield

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Drain by Sonic on Glenstone in Springfield

Post by White Rabbit »

Stumbled on this drain last night. It's nothing super-special, not very long, but big enough to walk through the entire way. At the intersection of Division and Glenstone, there's a little creek off to one corner that comes out of a big dual outlets. You can walk into them, and they turn around and go on for about 50-75 yards and come out by the supermarket. Like I said, nothing special, but I thought I'd toss it out there.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Drain by Sonic on Glenstone in Springfield

Post by Willard »

The tunnel you found in that area is the upper part of Jordan Creek. It's the same system that goes downtown. Go over to Fremont just south of Division and they covered over the creek going all the way to National. It then comes out in Silver Springs Park and goes over between OTC and Tindle Mills. Then in goes under Chestnut Express. and connects up with the tunnel that goes under Jefferson/Boonville (look for the old stone bridge supports)/Campbell (look for the old stone arch bridge that is still intact)/and then it comes out just before Main. The ravine that it goes through after Main is where the Frisco used to have their Freight Depot. This explains the pillers in the middle of the creek. The Freight Depot used to go all the way to about the Grand Ave. Viaduct. Anyway, the creek eventually connects up with the Wilson Creek and such. oh yeah and the reason the creek was covered was done by the railroad in several stages to controle flooding downtown.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Drain by Sonic on Glenstone in Springfield

Post by White Rabbit »

Willard wrote:Go over to Fremont just south of Division and they covered over the creek going all the way to National. It then comes out in Silver Springs Park and goes over between OTC and Tindle Mills.
I'm gonna have to break down and make a map of this damn thing. I've been through, I believe, every part of it, but I'm still having trouble visualizing which areas you're talking about. I'm not 100% sure I've been through the area south of Division near Fremont, though.
Last edited by White Rabbit on Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

It's not hard to follow, but if you want to you can find most of Jordan Creek mapped out on the old Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps at the Library Center, or you can access more of the maps on the Springfield-Greene county website.
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

They have recently redone the part at national, now it comes up at prospect. they are reportedly going to make a dual tunnel, one waterway one walkway betwen Smith park and Silversprings.

if you go up to the rails in silversprings there is also a small crawlway that goes under the tracks and come out the other side covered with a grate.
----------This space for rent----------
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

*warning* i dont really know what i am talking about here just rambling

there is a very large drain thing that comes out just south of Home Depot at James River and Glenstone

it goes up towards the walmart. I have no idea where it goes but it looks fun
Kit wrote:I am old
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Drain by Sonic on Glenstone in Springfield

Post by White Rabbit »

Kit wrote:*warning* i dont really know what i am talking about here just rambling

there is a very large drain thing that comes out just south of Home Depot at James River and Glenstone

it goes up towards the walmart. I have no idea where it goes but it looks fun
I'm pretty sure Raven's been way the heck up in that one. I think that was the one where he kept hoping he'd come out in Hooters or something :P
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

into any of the places up there wouldnt be too shabby :)
Kit wrote:I am old