Witch Pits?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
xtoq
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Witch Pits?

Post by xtoq »

This friend of mine about a thousand years ago told me about the Witch Pits in Springfield. No one else I know has ever heard of them. Anyone have any clues?
There is absolutely no evidence to support the theory that life is serious.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Witch Pits?

Post by Anne »

Which witch pits? :wink:
Sorry couldn't help it.

But seriously, never heard of it. Know the story on it?
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

That's new on me. What else did they say about it?
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I hate Witch pits. Wiccan chicks should either stop wearing wife beaters or start shaving.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
xtoq
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by xtoq »

Well, they didn't say much about it except for inviting me about a hundred times to...er...expand my mind there with them. I got the impression they were on the east end of Battlefield, south of the road, where there is that really nice neighborhood with Woodstock Road running through it. Across from the fishing area on the James River, just off of FR193 and Battlefield Road. I also got the impression that they were a group of sinkholes.

I'll have to scare up my friend and interrogate him.
There is absolutely no evidence to support the theory that life is serious.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Witch Pits?

Post by White Rabbit »

xtoq wrote:I also got the impression that they were a group of sinkholes.
I'd have to break out the ol' sinkhole PDF to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I remember there being a bunch of sinkholes in that area of town you're describing. So you're probably right.
Ordog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Ordog »

FYI about sinkholes: a few years ago there were a bunch of sinkholes at the Property Tax Sale.... anybody with $50 or so could own the sink hole.. and it was down around there...
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I wasn't aware you could purchase geological features by themselves... what about the land around the sinkholes?
Ordog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Ordog »

You would be purchasing the land itself... whatever is there is there. Developers make "reserves" which can be sinkholes or other undesirable things... and they forget, or dont care, or go broke, or die, or whatever..... and the "reserve" is never transfered to the homeowners assoc, or it is and they blow off the $1.55 taxes and poof it is sold

Also a few "private streets" that were on the tax rolls and other weird reserves. The people affected, when they ask if they do, are told "who would buy a sinkhole? Nothing to worry about...."
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Well, I would buy a cave... maybe not a regular sinkhole. My uncle bought a piece of land once that was surrounded by someone else's land, and he had no way of reaching it. The surrounding landowner wouldn't let him build a road, either. That's kind of why I asked.
Grue
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Grue »

If your land is land-locked, an owner of the other land has to grant you an easement to your land by law.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

If your land is land-locked, an owner of the other land has to grant you an easement to your land by law.
This is very true. There is a Cemetery on the north side of Springfield somewhere that has officially become land locked because all access was cut off from it when a new road officially blocked the access to the "street side" The owners of the surrounding land wouldn't let anyone cross their land to the cemetary so now it's ending up in court for a judge to force the land owners to grant an easment.
My uncle bought a piece of land once that was surrounded by someone else's land, and he had no way of reaching it. The surrounding landowner wouldn't let him build a road, either. That's kind of why I asked.
Sounds like your uncle needed a lawyer... or just the local sheriff... sometimes the local authorities know the law pretty good (sometimes not always) and (particularly if they hate the person that's being a pain in the ass to you) will be willing to force the owner to follow the law.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Yeah, I know about easements. The guy was just a prick and my uncle didn't feel like taking him to court over it. It was a worthless piece of land and I don't know what made him want it in the first place.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Witch Pits?

Post by jammer_smith »

FOUND!

Wow, this was posted way back in 2005, and I just found this location yesterday, or at least what I am pretty sure is the location.

The pits are located in the north western corner of the Gardner Trust (wild life preserve) east of town. They can be found at just to the west of where the ridge line starts to pull away from the river.

There are a series of a dozen of more pits dug in the earth along what was certainly the bed of the James River a long time ago. Most of the pits are 6-10 feet deep, and resemble sink holes (I thought they were sink holes at first). I found one major dramatic pit that was about 40 feet wide and may a 90-100 feet deep with sheer rock sides. Just above this main pit is a large mound of earth that I assume to have been what was dug out to make the pit. It appears to be some kind of long defunct open-pit mining operation.

There are a number of concrete troughs, bins, pillar, and other ivy-covered remnants. Surround the main pit.

I don't know how old the site is, but there is one clear clue, that someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to use to make an educated guess. There is a sizable oak tree growing near the top of the earth mound beside the main pit. The place is at least as old as it would take that tree to grow to its current size. Out of the piled earth from the digging of the pit.

I think this qualifies wonderfully as being the Witch Pits. It would have been very secluded before recent development, and even with recent development the steep hollows and ravines make the location feel isolated. The strange series of shallow pits, the one dramatic pit, and the overgrown concrete structures would make it an excellent candidate for young people to go "expand their minds". It is also near a nice neighborhood, and across the river from the public fishing access just as the OP indicated half a decade ago when he posted this.
The Gardner Trust is owned by the MDC, and therefor you should be able to hike it without trespassing, but the problem is that it is almost entirely land-locked by private property. The only two ways I know to get in without trespassing is the float the river into the park land, or to park at the dead end of Farm Rd 203 which has a little path into the park. Even if you decided to trespass to get in there really is no easy approach.
BTW, wear pants and keep your arms up. The river bottom is unavoidably full of stinging nettles.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I'm almost certain these pits you found are remnants of an old lead mining operation 100 years ago there were a few small mining operations along the James River about that time dotting the area from the rail road along the river south of Sunshine (aka hwy D) all the way close to Winoka Lodge (old US 60/65). I think they saw some lead and thought there would be a large vein but, like most mines, I'm guessing the lead ran out quickly.