Underground Storage???????

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
BRANDOFLUCK
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Underground Storage???????

Post by BRANDOFLUCK »

Has anyone heard about an underground storage facility here in Springfield? It is across 65, I think maybe on chestnut expressway or a road close to there. I saw this piece of land with huge metal doors going into a hillside and it looked like they went down into the ground. I asked some people I work with and they said its underground storage. Anyone got any info on it?
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

RE: Underground Storage???????

Post by Mindscape »

The storage facility you're talking about is Springfield Underground. It's located across 65 at Division (I'm pretty sure it's Division). When you cross the highway, you'll see a big field to your left. That's the property of SU. Those properties extend nearly to I-44 to the north, too.

The Ass. of God (James River Assemblies of God... and no offence to any congregants on the forum, but they've been hell to work for sometimes) holds their fireworks displays on the SU site every year. The main parking, seating, staging, and fireworks safety ranges and firing points are all on SU holdings (they're very extensive, for being that close to town). So, if you want to go explore topside sometime, that'd be the time to do it.

The storage areas are said to be freakin' huge and, from the distance of the vent shafts (they look like a small house on a pole) which vent on both sides of 65 up toward 44, they're probably every bit as big as imagined. However, they're fully in use, so exploring them is probably out of the question, and likely the security is such that you'd get caught if you tried to sneak in (though the vents might be a possible entry point... they're plenty big enough).

Overall, it's a nice enough place, really. It's not, however, all that exciting up top, even though it's a nice field. Downstairs, I'm sure it's much fun to explore, but the closest you're ever likely to get is to find the other such underground storage facility that's being discussed on this forum and explore it with WR.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Oh, and to get to the doors, I believe you take Division out past 65, turn left the first chance after that you get, and follow the signs that guide truckers to it. They should be up that little road about 2-300 yards, if I remember right. Not positive on that, though.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I've been all over the inside of that place, and it's absolutely gigantic. I mean, gi-fucking-gantic. Like, they have their own traffic signs and parking lots down there gigantic.

But yeah, you definitely don't want to sneak in there or even attempt it. SU has a lot of money and a lot of ties to the city, so it's about the last place you want to get caught.

Plus, they do events there pretty regularly that would let you check it out legitimately. Like, last year they had a Valentine's Day marathon that ran through the inside of the place. And they have other things going on there sometimes, too. They might even give tours, I'm not sure.
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Just a side note, sort of on-topic still...

For a Vampire/Werewolf/Mage game I was running with some friends (it had about 50 players), we used Springfield as the setting. When the players inevitably did something insanely stupid (as players of those games are wont to do) and martial law was declared to prevent further destruction of the city, we used Springfield Underground as the base of operations for the FBI (who was heading up keeping things in line) and the military.

Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the military and/or Springfield's FBI office had some of SU's space leased for such a possibility. If they don't already, then I'm sure they'll find this message and try it. If they do, I hope they give me credit.

Call it Project Mindscape or something, Big Brother!

*snickers*
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

SU is owned by CU which in turn is owned by the City of Spingfield. Becareful when you trespass over at Springfield Underground... if you're caught it may start out small and seem that it's going to be handled by just Springfield Underground, but then City Utilities will start looking into the matter if need be and then if that's not enough, the City of Springfield will also sick their dogs on you also... so there's your ties to the city.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
TR146x
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Underground Storage???????

Post by TR146x »

Willard wrote:SU is owned by CU which in turn is owned by the City of Spingfield. Becareful when you trespass over at Springfield Underground... if you're caught it may start out small and seem that it's going to be handled by just Springfield Underground, but then City Utilities will start looking into the matter if need be and then if that's not enough, the City of Springfield will also sick their dogs on you also... so there's your ties to the city.

Springfield Underground is owned by the Griesemer family; their quarrying business created the original cavity and then they went back and developed it a la Park U. CU rents part of the underground to house our enterprise broadband service, Springnet. CU developed the leased space for super tight security and market the unused portion for companies that need a secure center for data storage, business continuation backup, etc. The facility they developed and market is called Springnet Underground, hence the confusion. If anyone is interested, there's more information on the Springnet website under the heading Collocation.
http://www.springnet.net
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

My mistake about Springfield Underground. A friend of mine is a Security guard there and his company is actually contracted there by CU... I guess he gave me false information about SU being owned by CU.

TR146x
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TR146x »

There are so many joint ventures and cross owned enterprises in the area, it's easy to get confused. Also, CU seems to have a hand in evertything!!!

:wink:
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Also, CU seems to have a hand in evertything!!!
Yeah... and as they are still owned by the City of Springfield (as far as I know) you have to be careful about where you're at as you just might be slapped with charges of trespassing on city property which is a much worse offence... and now they might be able to prosicute under the Homeland Security Act because of that.

TR146x
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TR146x »

Willard wrote:
Also, CU seems to have a hand in evertything!!!
and now they might be able to prosicute under the Homeland Security Act because of that.
Whoops, hadn't thought of that.
BIG_T
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by BIG_T »

White Rabbit wrote:I've been all over the inside of that place, and it's absolutely gigantic. I mean, gi-fucking-gantic. Like, they have their own traffic signs and parking lots down there gigantic.

But yeah, you definitely don't want to sneak in there or even attempt it. SU has a lot of money and a lot of ties to the city, so it's about the last place you want to get caught.

Plus, they do events there pretty regularly that would let you check it out legitimately. Like, last year they had a Valentine's Day marathon that ran through the inside of the place. And they have other things going on there sometimes, too. They might even give tours, I'm not sure.
Yea that place is HUGE.. First time I went in there I was doing a police ride along and we got called out there..I was amazed at how big it was.