Albino farm status?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Albino farm status?

Post by White Rabbit »

Anyone know what the current status of Springlawn Farm (the albino farm) is? I don't have a reason to go out that way very much. I know that last I saw the new subdivision and houses had been built right up to the border of the forest where the old houses and buildings are.

Anyone know if there's been any more construction than that? I don't know if they intend to actually tear down the old buildings, but it'd be a shame if they did.

(and yes, this is a shameless plug for the search engines)
crowe
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Albino farm status?

Post by crowe »

i'm actually going out there this afternoon with friends, and i'm planning on taking some pictures, so i can let you know on this. :>
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, let me know if they've done that. If you get this before then, let me know if you notice what company is developing it. I'd like to contact them and find out, if they haven't already, if they're going to be tearing down the old buildings. If so, there's a lot of priceless crap hiding in the dirt out there that needs to removed and given to someone (like the historical society or similar).
dogpatchexpert
Someone Say Dogpatch?
Someone Say Dogpatch?

Post by dogpatchexpert »

That was f**ked up

I was reading the frist part of this thread and my power went off lol. That would have been cool if i turned around and there was a man with a hachect. :shock:

I cant wait to see them pictures
Dogpatch Expert
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

I was down there with a couple friends yesterday. You can wave to the neighbors from the house. I didn't know that the subdivison was that close other wise I would have parked in that cul-de-sac thing instead of on the side of the road.

Couple questions about it though.
The road *going towards that silo that says Evil Awaits*, where does that go? and Is there supposed to be a cemetery there? We heard that there was and went searching aroudn trying to find gravestones.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Albino farm status?

Post by White Rabbit »

Anne wrote:Couple questions about it though.
The road *going towards that silo that says Evil Awaits*, where does that go?
If I'm remembering right, and I might not be, I think that road just curves down through the woods a bit and comes out at that field near the "haunted" bridge.
and Is there supposed to be a cemetery there? We heard that there was and went searching aroudn trying to find gravestones.
Every so often I hear that rumor, too, but I don't believe it. If there were a cemetery there, there would be records of it. It would show up in cemetery lists for the county and city, there'd be records of it in the obituaries of old newspapers, and probably the plat maps of the area as well. There's probably some way it's possible that I haven't thought of, but I'd bet lots of money against it.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

We search for one quite a bit, maybe the cemetery rumor came from the Greenlawn Cemetery being so close. Would the family who owned Springlawn be buried there? Or does anyone know?
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I am not real sure how that cemetary stuff works just up the raod from my house is a plot of land no marking or anything except there are something like 6 grave markers I know it was the people who lived there a long long time ago I dont think there would be any records the probaly died and were buried out back,I do know that it is still ok to bury a person on your land, however you have to deed a 1 acre plot to the state of mo. and then the have the right to burry people there if the need the space, also you have to build a road in to it and then the State of Mo. will maintane the road which is probaly the main reason they try to talk you out of doing it
I guess thought if you are talking about a Big Cemetary there should be records
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

It is likely there could be a cemetary on the land, I mean...that is an old property and in a time where death wasn't reported along with our daily news. However, as it was the property of someone very affluent as the article I read lead me to believe...I'd be suprised if there is no record of burials on the land if it did so occur. Another possibility is also some kids who made some joke gravemarkers to scare people. That, to me, is the most likely scenario.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Albino farm status?

Post by White Rabbit »

ivecomeasiam wrote:It is likely there could be a cemetary on the land, I mean...that is an old property and in a time where death wasn't reported along with our daily news.
Yeah, I kinda figured there were ways it could be true that I wasn't realizing, because I don't know too much about how that stuff works. But, I agree, with the property being owned by well-off people, there would probably be something.

Plus, the place has been researched probably as much as, if not more than, anything else in Springfield. I really think if there were a cemetery there that it'd be pretty common knowledge.
Another possibility is also some kids who made some joke gravemarkers to scare people. That, to me, is the most likely scenario.
That's an awesome idea. I know what I'm doing with some spare concrete now! :P
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Here's a topo of Springlawn Farm in 1975
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Sorry folks, here's the fixed link Springlawn Farm

Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

I forgot to mention this. It looks like whoever is building up neighborhoods back there is wanting to clear off that land. THere's a lot of pink ribbons to mark trees up and the road I asked about had pretty fresh tire tracks. I just hope they don't bulldoze everything down.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

They aren't supposed to. Last thing I knew, the developer want's to preserve what's left of the abandoned ruins of the old farm... I belive the trees with ribbons are the ones that aren't supposed to be cut down. I don't know for sure, but that's what I'm thinking.

Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

I work for a builder and normally the ribbons do mean they are trees that stay. But each builder could be different.
Kit wrote:I am old