anyone explore off of route 66? near Pacific/Gray Summit

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Burning Leaf
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

anyone explore off of route 66? near Pacific/Gray Summit

Post by Burning Leaf »

i recently got into an abandoned gas station and also an abandoned restaurant connected to an office building. grease still left in the fryer there in fact....i need more local locations tho if anyone can help me out?
Jamesw
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: anyone explore off of route 66? near Pacific/Gray Summit

Post by Jamesw »

Pacific Silica Mines are the only locations I know of out there.
Burning Leaf
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Burning Leaf »

where is that at? i'm headed out to Moselle tonight - an old ghost town. are there any rules on this forum about posting phone numbers?
Jamesw
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Jamesw »

I wouldn't post any phone numbers on the forum but through PM's. People can view the pages without being a member. So you might get some unwanted calls. I sent you a PM.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: anyone explore off of route 66? near Pacific/Gray Summit

Post by ropingk »

there are a few old mines in pacific (outside of Six Flags) but really not much to see just big opening in the clifs that go on forever the old nike base that is now a tec school out by Robertsville bout all i know in that area
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Burning Leaf
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Burning Leaf »

okay so i went to the supposed "ghost town" in Moselle. not all local legend has it cracked up to be. there are many abandoned buildings but most of them are a building or two down from an occupied residence. we "broke" into on that had a well in it with a dead possum at the bottom and depression glass scattered around. there is also an old furnace built in 1849 .75 mi SE of the main station along the river but i have yet to find that. also, i went into the caves/mines yesterday and there is a lot of crap and graffiti in them. haha one had a bike that said "FREE" on it. so we dubbed those caves the free bike caves. although, we did spot a very old looking building and several abandoned houses littering the area that i'll have to go back to. and we got into a big empty warehouse that contained about a dozen dead birds, rather creepy if you ask me....
lzrturbo91
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by lzrturbo91 »

i think i know where you are talking about - i went up there with a guide once- it was an old mining town right ? - the part where you were isint very intresting at all in fact its a little sad- but the really intresting part is not too far from there - park in the church parking lot then there is a field behing it and foll ow the field back to the tree line you'll find a creek cross it and there will be an old worn road just in dirt follow that up a ways and youll see a whole old ass town up there watch out for mountian lions because they are up there - and if you remember the "yetti" sightings in missouri forever agoe this is also that place- it would be a very good place for a real the hills have eyes sort of thing so be caryful up there people around there are very wierd maby bring a gun of two
Burning Leaf
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Burning Leaf »

wow yeah that's the place! i'm gonna have to go back and check that out! thanks! i'll google earth it first tho....
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

No related to Moselle, but I did notice something odd in Gray Summit.

If you drive past on I-44, you'll see that the parcel of land between Tri-Country truck stop and the highway is being completed cleared. What's interesting, though, is that directly across from the truck stop, across old 66, you can see a concrete foundation with windows/door openings built into the side of the hill. Yet, above it, the area is just additional parking for the truck stop, with no indication that there is some sort of structure below.

It's not hard to get in there, especially if you've got a truck and would "look the part" of someone associated with the clearing project. I just found the concrete foundation interesting, as I've never seen any reference to anything being located across the road from the truckstop.
Burning Leaf
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Burning Leaf »

i have seen that actually. funny thing is that is near an abandoned restaurant. forget the name of it tho....it was fun to go into!!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

Im gonna gues the name is The Diamonds and the one you are taling about is the Old Diamonds bit were really big in there day the old stule where you had a real waitress and ate real food off real china
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

Yeah, Tri-Country Truckstop is indeed the original Diamonds restaurant. And we've eaten both there and at the newer Diamonds before it closed a few years ago.

I'm just wondering what that is directly across from the Truck Stop. If you know the area, you know that across the highway there's a chainlink fence, and the staff used to park there, facing the restaurant. Yet, from the proximity of the concrete you can see from the highway, it looks like they would have been parking on the roof of whatever structure is there. It's odd.

I might be able to run by there later today, and I'll see if I can grab some pics. If not, maybe sometime in the week.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I go by there every day Ill look tomorrow and if I cant figure it out Ill let ya know
C4D
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by C4D »

I live in Pacific and just made a very interesting discovery. The old gas station that is between the Washington 44 Exit and Union exit on old Route 66 was owned by a friend of a friend during the hay day of Route 66. My friend was telling me that his friend who owned the gas station was the towing company for Franklin County during the 60's and 70's and over the years he collected some very interesting cars that were impounded or kept from people who could not pay their service bills. My friend then continued on and said that he knew where he kept these cars. Cars such as 60's Corvettes, Mach 1 Mustangs, GTO's, Thunderbirds, and even a original 1963 Fairlane 500 with 427 AC Cobra Side Pumper engine! Other gear heads will realize just how rare a car like this is!

So the first thing out of my mouth after he told me this was "Bullsh*t" He then said "No BS, I will show you the yard now." So we hoped in my car and headed to the yard which is some what near the gas station. Sure enough he was not lying, the yard had 3 corvettes from the 60's and two original Mustang Mach 1's and the very rare Fairlane 500 he mentioned. I took about 50 photos of all these amazing original cars, junk yards like this are almost extinct!

If you guys want, I can post the photos when I get home tonight.
lzrturbo91
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by lzrturbo91 »

heck yea post that shit up