Old Golf Course Entrance

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Old Golf Course Entrance

Post by Willard »

I live not to far from Division and Glenstone. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but since the city is widening the intersection, the old entrance to the city's first golf course was torn out in the process. It was on the southeast corner and it was two pillers with a ball on top of each. The military bought the golf course from the city in the late 1930's and built O'Reilly Millitary Hospital. In the 1950's Evangle University bought the hospital complex.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

RE: Old Golf Course Entrance

Post by Kit »

why didnt they just move them? seems silly to destroy history when there is a park right there they could have put them on.

i know what you are talking about but i had no idea they marked the entrance to an old golf course.
Kit wrote:I am old
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

There's also a BUNCH of decent-sized drain tunnels exposed at that intersection with all the construction.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

why didnt they just move them? seems silly to destroy history when there is a park right there they could have put them on.
Think about it, it's the city of Springfield...

Also, something else interesting, When the Colonial Hotel was built back in the 1910's (SMS tore it down in 1998, southwest corner of Jefferson and St. Louis) there were four columns holding up a porch at the front entrance. When the city widened Jefferson in the early 1940's, the columns were moved to Phelps Grove Park. That place west of the Art Museum with all the steps and stuff are where the columns are. Also that used to be a swiming pool back in the first part of the 20th century. They had to drain the pool in the early 20's because the creek that fed into it was to polluted (yes that would be Fastnight Creek).
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

my hubby is paid by the city .. you are right what was i thinking???
Kit wrote:I am old