Devil's Den

Urban exploration in Arkansas
HandMan
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Devil's Den

Post by HandMan »

we tripped down to devil's den on saturday. i had been there before but i didnt get to explore as much as i wanted because of the people i was with. this time, however, we found some pretty sweet stuff. i managed to get some photos of some of it.
Attachments
a lot of the corridors were very narrow in the maze.  this is a spot i didnt think i would make it through.  i found myself suspended in the air between 2 rock walls.
a lot of the corridors were very narrow in the maze. this is a spot i didnt think i would make it through. i found myself suspended in the air between 2 rock walls.
a lot of the entrances to the icebox and the maze were located in crevices.  this is one i found particularly beautiful
a lot of the entrances to the icebox and the maze were located in crevices. this is one i found particularly beautiful
a sweet river at the park
a sweet river at the park
fog in "devil's maze"
fog in "devil's maze"
down a passageway
down a passageway
Inside the cave that is most frequented by the general public
Inside the cave that is most frequented by the general public
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Re: Devil

Post by Kit »

awesome pics :)
Kit wrote:I am old
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Devil's Den

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Up over the hill where the 2 main caves are, there are lots of old trails, bluffs, and neat caves. There's one that has a neat spiral staircase effect downwards. It's located in a kinda gully or small ravine. Unfortunately, the endangered Ozark Big Ear Bats like to call it home. So the gov installed light sensors in the cave and lots of signs outside claiming a huge fine if you entered.
"Anyone else smell that?"
HandMan
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by HandMan »

that sucks, are there any other neat off-the-trail caves that dont have light sensors in them?
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

Is it just me, or does HandMan look suprisingly similar to Steven Hill? :P
HandMan
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by HandMan »

who is this Steven Hill?
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

:mrgreen:
He's the Razorback's four year, starting center.
http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... EASON=2007
HandMan
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by HandMan »

geez! he's 7ft tall! im not quite there.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I've been to Devil's Den bunches of times. Awesome park. I've been meaning to go back, but I keep summering outside the Ozarks.

BTW, I do know of at least one cave that's away from the main Den/Icebox/Maze hillside complex, but there's no way I could explain how to get there.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
HandMan
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by HandMan »

would it be possible to find its general location on something like google earth?
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

HandMan wrote:would it be possible to find its general location on something like google earth?
I'll see what I can come up with. It's in the same general area, and might actually be marked on the maps you can get at the park. It's sort of opposite the main concentration of caves there, near a camping area.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Riggz13
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Riggz13 »

http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0708/537217.html

Same old story. Girl goes in cave, girl gets stuck in cave, girl gets rescued. My favorite part was how they used blow dryers to keep her warm. She may have been exhausted, but her hair was magnificent!
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

I've helped pull two out of the cave so far, but never in the "Satan's Maze"...which is good because I probably wouldn't fit now.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

So some fatass got stuck between two rocks huh? I wish there was a picture so I could tell if she was ginormous or just stupid.
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Actually, she wasn't fat. She slipped in the part where you've got a very narrow, but deep part under you. She wedged her leg in tight. She and the rescuers couldn't get the leverage needed to pull her up and out. Her leg then began to swell complicating the issue.
This incident renews the calls to bar off the Maze.