The photo-a-day thread

You can talk about anything here
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: The photo-a-day thread

Post by SubLunar »

redox wrote:some damn biggass flywheels. .What is that?
Steam engine for cutting edge turn of the century waterworks technology: "The Allis Chalmers steam engine by itself had a capacity of 20 Million gallons per day. This steam engine stands 50 feet tall and each of its 32-ton flywheels can push 607 gallons of water with each revolution. "

crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: The photo-a-day thread

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Oh, fuck!

*cue heavy breathing*

WHERE IS THAT AND IS IT BEING PRESERVED?!
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

crazydrummerdude wrote:WHERE IS THAT AND IS IT BEING PRESERVED?!
It actually is! :D They're turning it into a museum or something.
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

mindwaave wrote:
crazydrummerdude wrote:WHERE IS THAT AND IS IT BEING PRESERVED?!
It actually is! :D They're turning it into a museum or something.
Some people are trying to turn it into a museum or something.

Other people ACTUALLY referred to it as a "glorified Brita filter" and are advocating its destruction.

I know nobody looks at my blog but if you'd like more info: http://sublunarphotography.blogspot.com ... works.html
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

It's in pretty super shitty shape. It will probably continue to sit there and be in even more super shitty shape. People have already wasted millions fixing it up and you really can't tell where that money went. It would take tens of millions to restore and hundreds of thousands each year to maintain. Realistically I would imagine the engine might end up in a museum and the rest of the place demolished. I would be very surprised if the entire place is restored.
aka "That Guy"
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

True, but if they can put the funding together I think it makes for a pretty awesome historic site which could be used to instill industrial/mechanical wonder in the minds of young whippersnappers on field trips and such.

crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: RE: The photo-a-day thread

Post by crazydrummerdude »

SubLunar wrote:True, but if they can put the funding together I think it makes for a pretty awesome historic site which could be used to instill industrial/mechanical wonder in the minds of young whippersnappers on field trips and such.
God damn, god damn.. I get goosebumps even just thinking about it.

For some inspiration

I have spent several evenings watching and re-watching all of Fred Dibnahs videos on youtube.

He eventually drove his steam engine all over England and there are many videos following him.. in addition to his many other documentaries. It is addicting to watch, appreciate, and dream.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

You should do a theme set at a hospital like that. Sure the straight down the hall is cool, but after a while it's kind of "seen one seen them all." Do a "security camera" theme, take shots from angles that might be where security cameras are and edit them in post to make them grittier. Like for this shot I'd use the tripod to hold the camera up in the corner near the ceiling at the end of the hall.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

My comrades would probably kill me if I spent even more time taking photos.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Meh, I like how long it takes you to shoot, gives me time to explore all about, who are these peeps running thru shit?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Yeah, I tend to run through places.
aka "That Guy"
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I used to run through stuff and not take pics or just take em half ass as I was running around. I was always annoyed when I ended up with "photographers" who took 50 lbs of gear into a location where we might have to GTFO and couldn't possibly run/hop fences with all that shit and who were afraid to get dirty and just wanted to take pics of the more well lit areas. As an "explorer" that bugged me.

But then I started putting more effort into my pics and started taking my time more. Rather than hit up 5 different places in a day, I'd rather hit a few quality locations and take my time in them.

But I'm still not scared to get dirty and I travel light enough that I've had to evade security more than enough times to know that my gear isn't going to hold me back. I've dialed it in, the relationship between photographing and exploring, to the point I think I've got it just right.

mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: RE: The photo-a-day thread

Post by mindwaave »

SubLunar wrote:I've dialed it in, the relationship between photographing and exploring, to the point I think I've got it just right.
That's true in my experience.

I like taking my time exploring when possible, and if I've already taken all the shots I want, I can focus on the details of the place or hunt for documents, items of interest, etc. Very rarely have I gotten bored waiting around, cause there's always something else to stick my head into.

Urbex is such a fulfilling hobby. I'll never get enough of it.

Image Image
Preservation over plunder.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Nicotti wrote:Meh, I like how long it takes you to shoot, gives me time to explore all about...
Actually, the only time you take too long is when it's friggin freezing, I'm done exploring, I can't feel my hands/toes from the cold, and you're only half done. Only then, is it too long, but I can only think of that happening once.