The photo-a-day thread

You can talk about anything here
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: RE: The photo-a-day thread

Post by crazydrummerdude »

SubLunar wrote:Thanks and yeah that was unexpected. Always enjoy finding things like that.

Is this an arc furnace or something?
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: The photo-a-day thread

Post by SubLunar »

blast furnace which ran at ~3,000 degrees and produced thousands of tons of metal per day. One of several at the site. That place was fucking amazing.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

SubLunar wrote:blast furnace which ran at ~3,000 degrees and produced thousands of tons of metal per day. One of several at the site. That place was fucking amazing.
To me, it looks like an electric arc furnace (technical term). It could very well be a blast furnace, too.

To see that place in operation would be about the closest to seeing the inside of a volcano that one could be.

I visited Nucor-Yamato steel in Blytheville once, and when we were stepping into the furnace building, my guide paused and said, "..here's where the devil lives." 3000 degrees, sparks exploding off the 40ft ceiling, it's so painfully hot everything about your survival instinct says to back up, but curiosity says to take another step further. When they inoculated the charge (from a massive overhead crane) and the party kicked off, I was like: YES! YES!

Sorry, no pictures.

It was like this, except nothing over the furnace and in a smaller room, and I was standing at the base of it. If there would have been a failure of some sort, I would have been vaporized:

https://youtu.be/99J07O7ik-Y?t=18s
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: The photo-a-day thread

Post by mindwaave »

Image Image
Preservation over plunder.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

ha nice! @ mindwaave pics^^^
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

crazydrummerdude wrote:It was like this, except nothing over the furnace and in a smaller room, and I was standing at the base of it. If there would have been a failure of some sort, I would have been vaporized:

holy fuck ..wow
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

crazydrummerdude wrote:
SubLunar wrote:blast furnace which ran at ~3,000 degrees and produced thousands of tons of metal per day. One of several at the site. That place was fucking amazing.
To me, it looks like an electric arc furnace (technical term). It could very well be a blast furnace, too.

To see that place in operation would be about the closest to seeing the inside of a volcano that one could be.

I visited Nucor-Yamato steel in Blytheville once, and when we were stepping into the furnace building, my guide paused and said, "..here's where the devil lives." 3000 degrees, sparks exploding off the 40ft ceiling, it's so painfully hot everything about your survival instinct says to back up, but curiosity says to take another step further. When they inoculated the charge (from a massive overhead crane) and the party kicked off, I was like: YES! YES!

Sorry, no pictures.

It was like this, except nothing over the furnace and in a smaller room, and I was standing at the base of it. If there would have been a failure of some sort, I would have been vaporized:

Well, it's definitely a blast furnace.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

SubLunar wrote:Well, it's definitely a blast furnace.
+1

Got another SSD recently, so I dumped my live photo library to it so loading times in Lightroom could be greatly reduced. Maybe I'll actually get editing done in reasonable time now!

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

SSD's are for sissies. So is anything after Win XP, more than 4GB RAM, or 64 bit anything.

Ok, my Lenovo is running 7 and that's what I do most editing on now, but it's still x86, HDD, 4GB. And I render HD video on this thing.

I was just gearing up to completely redo my main music production box which is running 32bit XP SP2 with 4GB RAM. But I found a copy of the software I've been lusting after for YEARS (Propellerhead Reason 6) and it's XP compatible. So I just bought a new audio interface and don't have to change up anything! So fucking happy about that. My music machine is still a beast 10 years after I built it. Cold boot to desktop in 30 seconds with 3x 2TB spinning HDD's. Runs Adobe CS5 and CS4 products just fine. No need to upgrade something that still works great.

crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

So, where's the music, bitch?
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

forthcoming. Working full time and having responsibilities sucks when it comes to having time leftover for hobbies like this. But I've got it on my laptop now and I usually carry a small 25 key usb controller/keyboard so I can work on it on my lunch breaks when I'm not hiking. And I just got a killer app that is a nice alternative when I can't be in front of my computer but I do have my phone. Check this fucking app out. Caustic 3. I went out today and bought a google play card to get the full version for 10 bucks. It's like Reason for Android and it's surprising how actually useful it is for fucking around with music ideas.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

If you're into your phone knowing everything about you, you can earn Google Play money via the Google Opinion Rewards app. It's usually like 3 questions and gives you $0.20-$1.00.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

crazydrummerdude wrote:If you're into your phone knowing everything about you, you can earn Google Play money via the Google Opinion Rewards app. It's usually like 3 questions and gives you $0.20-$1.00.
Yeah, this is a good idea. And you can decline the more privacy-invasive surveys.

Not that you'd be doing much recording on-the-go, but you can plug higher quality microphones into the headphone jack of Android phones and it'll be able to record just fine.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I've been wanting to do field recordings for a while now. Some of the places we go have really interesting sounds. So I downloaded an audio recording app.

I've already begun a song with the Caustic app that I'm really liking so far. I couldn't work in my studio this morning because I'm cloning my OS drive and it still had like 11 hours left so I fired up the app and within a few minutes I had something pretty good started. Hell yeah. I've deleted the 3 games I had on my phone because this is my new time-killer.