Heer's Department Store

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Heer's Department Store

Post by Willard »

They wont be starting on any construction for several months still. I asked. They're still working on design.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

So, learn about any alternate entrances? :lol:

I know an older (but not too much older) woman who told me how she and her then boyfriend used to sneak in sometime during the mid to late 90's, but her method doesn't seem possible. It had something to do with a fire escape, if I remember correctly. Problem is, Heers doesn't have one. Do you know if it used to?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Getting into the building needs to be discussed in private.

[edit by WR]

Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Right. I was half-joking when I asked, though. I assume there's no way in, other than the legal way.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Right. I was half-joking when I asked, though. I assume there's no way in, other than the legal way.
Mmmm... (whistling)

LadyDragonsblood
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by LadyDragonsblood »

Sorry If I am bringing up old topics...but I am new to the forums...and I am posting on the ones that interest me...if this is problem..just let me know and I will stop.

I have fond memories of the old Heer's Department store ...

We live in Harrison, but made regular trips to the "big City" as we refered to Springfield. This was back in the day when men wore suits and ladies dressed up to go "shopping"...my mother would put me in a dress, little white gloves and hat with matching paten leather shoes and we would have lunch in the dining room at Heer's. I always felt quite grown up, to be going to the "City" to have lunch in that wonderful old store. Then we would go to Sears...that was when it was down by the Shriner's Temple....

Oh GOSH do I feel OLD now......

I remember one trip we went by the KY3 Studios...and I just missed being on Children's Hour by 5 minutes....I cried and cried....but I did get to meet Aunt Norma!

Ok...now I feel even OLDER!
LadyDragonsblood

"Come on now Alice, your probably making a meatloaf out of a hamburger" Sam "The Butcher" Franklin
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

We live in Harrison, but made regular trips to the "big City" as we refered to Springfield. This was back in the day when men wore suits and ladies dressed up to go "shopping"...my mother would put me in a dress, little white gloves and hat with matching paten leather shoes and we would have lunch in the dining room at Heer's. I always felt quite grown up, to be going to the "City" to have lunch in that wonderful old store. Then we would go to Sears...that was when it was down by the Shriner's Temple....

Oh GOSH do I feel OLD now......
Don't feel old. You have memories of Heer's during a time that I wished I'd been alive to experience. There's a lady that lives near my parents that grew up downtown and she loved to talk about going to Heer's. Such as back in the 1950's when she'd take her wheelchair bound mother to go shopping and she'd drop her mother off at the front door while she'd find a place to park, FW McClerkin, the store president at the time was always there at the front door to greet people and knew most everyone by name. I kind of wish that people still "dressed up" to go shopping and other things.

BTW, don't worry about resurecting old threads, it helps us think of stuff that we may not have though of when some of these threads were more active.

Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I was on the Sammy B. Good show once back around '85 or so. What channel was that?
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Re: RE: Heer's Department Store

Post by Underdog »

Sertile wrote:I was on the Sammy B. Good show once back around '85 or so. What channel was that?

Haha, I was also on that show way back in the day. The show was on KSPR 33 if memory serves me correct.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
LadyDragonsblood
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by LadyDragonsblood »

Ohhhhhh I remember Sammy B. Good now...he was a clown right? LOL your talking wayyyyyyyyy after my time...you said 1985.... I was talking like 1967-1970...somewhere in that time frame....back when I had a HUGE crush on Ned Reynolds!!!! (well, he was good looking when he was YOUNG!)

Your making me feel OOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDDDD again!!!!

You young whippersnappers!
LadyDragonsblood

"Come on now Alice, your probably making a meatloaf out of a hamburger" Sam "The Butcher" Franklin
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

No, see old is Morton Lines. He's 92 and he used to be vice-president of LE Lines Music downtown. His dad told him a story of when in 1915, FX Heer (the president of Heer's at the time) went into LE Lines music when they were still in that short building that's just behind the State Building (aka the Landers Building) and he wanted to lease a piano from them to put in the Garden Room for the Grand Opening of Heer's. Mort said that FX leased that piano from LE Lines Music from 1915 until about 1940 when FX sold Heer's to Allied Stores Inc. Mort said he tried to sell it to FX a couple of times but he wouldn't hear of it.

Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

I was watching the news tonight and they mentioned Heers and it's going to be renovated soon to get rid of all the asbestos, lead based paint, and pigeon crap.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

That pigon crap is some real bad stuff may need the boys in the white suits
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Old news, but here it is anyway:

HEER’S LUXURY CONDOS

AUGUST 11, 2005

IT WOULD BE THE FIRST BUILDING IN SPRINGFIELD WHERE PEOPLE WOULD WORK, EAT AND LIVE.

THE HEER'S RE-DEVELOPMENT PROJECT DOWNTOWN INCLUDES A PROPOSAL FOR MORE THAN TWENTY LUXURY CONDOS.

THE CONDOS WOULD RUN AT ABOUT $150,000. AND THEY WOULD MODEL SOME OF THE HIGH-END LOFTS IN DOWNTOWN ST. LOUIS.

EACH WOULD INCLUDE HARDWOOD FLOORS, GRANITE COUNTER TOPS, AND ACCESS TO A BALCONY AND WORKOUT ROOM. BUT IT'S THE *LOCATION* THAT MAKES THESE CONDOS STAND OUT FROM OTHER PLACES IN SPRINGFIELD.

CITY COUNCIL WILL VOTE ON RE-DEVELOPMENT PROPOSAL AT ITS NEXT MEETING AUGUST 22ND.

Courtesy of http://www.springfield33.com/

Lucky bastards, getting to live in the Heers building... has anyone heard the outcome yet of the city hall meeting?
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Heer's Department Store

Post by Hiccup »

Sertile wrote:Lucky bastards, getting to live in the Heers building...
yeah, no kidding

can i borrow $150,000?