Indian Burial Cave/Big Mouth Cave @ Lake of Ozrks

Urban exploration in Missouri
nateball
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Indian Burial Cave/Big Mouth Cave @ Lake of Ozrks

Post by nateball »

I just found this online. (I am a newbie and tried to search, so I don't think this is a repost, but I have been wrong before) I am heading down there tonight, if anyone knows if any of the cable car system or anything else is left, I'd like to try and find it.
"Indian Burial Cave was originally known as Big Mouth Cave. In 1959, James F. Atkisson discovered artifacts and several Indian burials within the shelter-like mouth of the cave. Soon thereafter, the Atkisson family opened it to the public, not so much for the cave portion but for the artifacts, which they displayed.

A few years later it was leased to Lee Mace and Al Lechner of Lake Ozark. The new operators installed an inclined cable car, built a gift shop at the parking lot, dug out enough fill within the cave beyond the Indian burial area to create a lake, installed a pump to recycle water, housed in the opening, installed a few dim lights and a pontoon boat, and enlarged upon the Indian burial and artifact exhibits.

The cave was open to the public until the death of owner Lee Mace about 10 years ago and has since been closed. It is no longer promoted in the area. It is essentially an abandoned show cave operation."
[zimmy/Natl. Cave Assoc]

And this too....
"No story about Ozarks classics is complete without a mention of Indian Burial Cave, about two miles south of Bagnell Dam. Opened to the public in 1960, it featured Native American artifacts and skeletal remains displayed behind chicken wire. Although the cave has been closed since 1987, Lake visitors remember thousands (so it seemed) of unique road signs that popped up every mile or two on all the major highways in the region, advertising the cave. The legs of the sign were designed to resemble two large arrows pointing downward with the billboard itself suspended between them. "
Former User #2
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Indian Burial Cave/Big Mouth Cave @ Lake of Ozrks

Post by Former User #2 »

good find, tell us what you find
Grue
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Indian Burial Cave/Big Mouth Cave @ Lake of Ozrks

Post by Grue »

I saw Lee Mace in a show years and years ago. I think I have an album signed by him, too. Weird. I wonder if the cave is spooky/haunted?
critter
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by critter »

I made entry into this cave about six years ago. It has been closed to commercial use for about twenty years and the entrance is now secured with plywood. The inside of the cave still has an old pontoon boat that the owners used to tour the cave's "lake" and the remnants of the "burial sites." According to local rumors the cave was closed due to the displayed indian skeletons being a hoax. Local legend says that there is a cave in the area that was used by civil war soldiers for storage of weapons and confederate gold. I spent time trying to find this sopposed cave but obviously had no success.
Former User #2
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Former User #2 »

Is this cave easy to get into.
nateball
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by nateball »

You wouldn't remember where the entrance is would you? I asked a lot of people when I was down there and drove around a good bit looking for clues and coldn't figure out what area it was supposed to be in.
critter
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by critter »

The entrance was rather difficult to find. About three to four miles down highway 42 was a fire damaged building on the left side of the road. That was the gift shop and office for the cave. From the building, follow the tram rail to the cave entrance. The cave had a padlocked door, but we were able to squeeze through a gap in the wall. You may need to bring a hammer and nails to remove the plywood and then resecure it. I do not know how much has changed in the last six years since I had been, so I do not know how accurate this information is.
unsunganything
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by unsunganything »

I just visitied the old indian burial cave today with a friend, and it was pretty interesting. It is down Hwy D, which runs behind target. You continue following the road for a little bit, and on the left side there is what used to be a parking lot, which is roped of now with wire and keep out signs. There is a large flag post that sticks up above the tree line as you aproach. You can park in a little area in front of the wire. As you get out of your car you see the foundation for the old gift shop, and you can also see the beginning of the tram. The tram is still there, and I used it to get to the bottom of the hill. Once you get to the bottom there is a side walk, which leads you straight to the cave entrance. It is covered in plywood, but it has been torn off in the corner. You can see the pontoon boat from this opening. The cave has a pretty big opening. Everything is still pretty well intact inside. The chicken wire displays are still up and there is a small path that leads to a dead end. The main passage way is back beyond the old pontoon boat. There isn't very much water within the cave anymore, but it is muddy. I wasn't able to travel back into the cave because the person I was with didn't want to continue on. But i'm planning on heading back soon to see how far back the cave goes. I also want to try and get some pictures to put on here. It was a good find, and it's worth checking out. If there are any questions, feel free to ask.
"Repent Kingdom, the end is near and it wont be silent" -The Chariot
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

I have a book from the library written by the missouri speleological society back in the 50's that lists this cave in it...it has a few pictures and a "Cavers" description of the lay out of the cave...
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
unsunganything
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by unsunganything »

What's the name of the book? And where in any library do I look for books specifically put out by the missouri speological survey? I've just been looking for material on missouri caves for a while, and still haven't found any.
"Repent Kingdom, the end is near and it wont be silent" -The Chariot
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

one book is called "Caves of Missouri" written by J. Harlen Bretz 1956
the other book is called "Missouri the Cave State" written by H. Dwight Weaver 1980.

I just went to the library and did a search for missouri caves and these two books popped up.

Good Luck!!
garavamll
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by garavamll »

Hi Guys... I wanted to BUMP this message to the top and ask...

Does anyone have and pics, public or private of the old Indian Burial cave at the Lake of the Ozarks?

I have very clear vivid memories of going there as a KID in the early 1980's when it was open and I'd LOVE to see some pics that urban explorers took..

I remember the catecombs in the walls with the Indian bones and relics. Pretty cheesy in the eyes of even an 8 year old back then.. BUT Id realyl enjoy seeing pics...

Anyone take any?

Thans,
MIKE