Conway Mo Cave - (now called clay cave)

Urban exploration in Missouri
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Conway Mo Cave - (now called clay cave)

Post by Kit »

Has anyone been to a cave around Conway that has a entrance as large as a train tunnel?

I have a general idea on where it is... I havent been since I was 12 ... (LONG time ago lol ) And I have an email out to my dad for better directions and more about the cave.

I do remember that you follow this VERY large entrance tunnel back far enough you dont have anymore natural light and then it broke off into 3 tunnels.

The cave is HUGE. in his college days my dad and my uncle went exploring in this cave and my mom said he didnt come home for 2 days and she thought he was dead. He says they got about 8 hours into the cave and saw footprints and decided to follow those out. Well the followed those for a long time and the hole the kid had come in was too small for him to get out. So it was an even longer trek out. :)

I believe this is 2 caves (according to my brother) one on top of another and in places the floor/ceiling has fallen in and you get a large room with shelves around the edges.

Also according to my brother the farmer that owns the land will give permission for you to explore it as long as it isnt hunting season.

I will post more info when I get it. I could probably get someone to it now but i would hate to give someone the directions I have and get them lost :)
Last edited by Kit on Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kit wrote:I am old
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Conway Mo Cave

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, I would definitely like to hear more about this one when you find it out.
LimoGuy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by LimoGuy »

I'm going to be going to this cave on sunday with some friends I'll take as many pictures as i can and i'll have my sister (kit) help me get them online. once I've been there I'll also give the directions to kit.
"That's called PAIN. Get used to it!"
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

what time? I may stay in town to go and I know K will want to go to.
LimoGuy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by LimoGuy »

I'll be leaving right after church which gets out at 10:30 i wasn't going to take K cause I won't be able to go in as far. i'm wanting to go in for a least two hours and go as far as possible as fast as possible.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

:) no problem .. we can wait if you promise to go with us a different day
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

CAVE?!? I want in!
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, I wanna know about this thing.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

if we dont end up with a limo run on sunday (which is looking like it might be a possibility :( ) we are going to go see if we can find it.

My dad emailed me said the directions i have are good.

We are going to see if we can get the owner to let us in ... I believe i saw where this used to be for sale a few years back so it may have a new owner.

If we can find it and get past the owner we are going to do some scouting and a little picture taking and then we will share what we have and plan on going another sunday before April 11th or if the owner isnt friendly we will pass on directions straight to you guys :)
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Conway Mo Cave

Post by White Rabbit »

Kit wrote:If we can find it and get past the owner we are going to do some scouting and a little picture taking and then we will share what we have and plan on going another sunday before April 11th or if the owner isnt friendly we will pass on directions straight to you guys :)
Excellent, thanks.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

RE: Conway Mo Cave- Now Called Clay Cave :)

Post by Kit »

Just got back we had a great time If anyone needs directions PM me I have them. Took us about 3 hours to get into the cave since the bridge that used to be washed out simply isnt there at all anymore. The farm house is vacant WOOHOO

I have pics i will post them here in a sec.

First off if it has been raining at all i wouldnt attempt to even get there. You wont make it. You can get there in a car but a truck or SUV would be better.

If you go be prepared to get wet. You have to cross several streams and the front entrance way is all creek. You shouldnt have water up over your knees though.

People go back in there but it isnt trashed really bad like i have seen some caves. At the point about an hour in where it starts to get hard and you have to really climb and slither you can tell people have stopped and "played about" There are initials on the walls and a few scuptures out of the clay.

OMG the clay. The reason we dubbed this Clay cave is the entire floor is covered with clay and bat poop ( i dont know how to spell the word) you will come across huge piles of the poop but the clay is everywhere. (You will be covered with it) At the point where I stopped i carved UE in the clay on the wall.

My bother and son went on for about another 20 mins and found gallery after gallery of cool formations. He has pics he will put up as soon as he gets them back. What i have is from the digital i took in.

The thing is HUGE there are tunnels under and beside the main ones. I know in college when my dad went in they went 8 hours back and never got to an end. So this one has a lot of exploring potental. For the first hour we were in there you could walk it standing up straight.

I finally stopped because I am not so good with slippery clay and ledges i could fall over. :)

enough rambling I am going to work on posting pics
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Sounds awesome. You're gonna have Sertile salivating.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

RE: Conway Mo Cave - (now called clay cave)

Post by Kit »

One of the caves up on the bluff

The view to the other side of the river (where we started out hehehe)

waterfall outside the cave from the water coming out of the cave

view of the entrance to give you an idea of the size

going in further ( had to alter the photo to give it more light)

found two areas that had what looked like 1/2 geods (sp) in the ceiling of the cave.

One of the huge piles of bat poop :) If you look closely you can see a foot print in the front side of it.

some of the cool formations.

Guess there was dust ( i didnt see any tho but i got several orb pics)

Really weird thing on the ground. I thought it would be soft but it was hard like rock

this one didnt turn out very well it goes back and down about 3 levels and there was a small waterfall

we decided these bats were having a large bat orgy

leaving couple of orbs again

outside on the bluff again. I think these caves make a face :)

one of many many many creek crossing

the end to a lovely day (field we hiked to get back to the road)

Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

my bother is going to have a lot more pictures but the rest were on regular cameras so he had to go visit an one hour place :) He went back to a lot of the better rooms too. This was a very expensive camera and it was getting beat up a little too much for my taste to take more with it.
LimoGuy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by LimoGuy »

Okay everybody, I got the pictures back. Now i get the fun of figuring out posting pics on here. :)