Underground Hot Springs

Urban exploration in Arkansas
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: Underground Hot Springs

Post by ambrosian_spelunker »

Yeah it really sucks!!!!!!
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??
SlyFoxx
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SlyFoxx »

There ARE tunnels/areas to be explored in HS. My hubby's friend does urban xploration too & he has pix of the one's she sent. I'll see if he still has the pix & try to post them here, I'll also see if she'll reveal the location.
jakethesartech2
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Underground Hot Springs

Post by jakethesartech2 »

i got a friend that lives down there and is asking around bout stuff.
Pinwheel
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by Pinwheel »

I lived in Hot Springs for 2 years and there are some decent underground areas, but you have to be very careful, they are very prone to flood and cave in.
Pinwheel pinwheel spin me around!
Look through my pinwheel and see what I found!
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

You also have to be careful due to the hot springs themselves. The hot water raises the temperature in some areas making it difficult to breathe. Also, there is the possibilty of sulfer fumes and what-not "smothering" you.
"Anyone else smell that?"
Intruder1
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Intruder1 »

I could believe that there would be some caves over on Central by Bath House row. There are all kinds of springs and strange rock formations in the hills surrounding the area.
jakethesartech2
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

perhaps some SCBAS might be useful in the tunnels
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

I'd be worried about the bulk of a SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus). Plus, you only got 20 or so minutes in reality with a 30 minute bottle when your working.
"Anyone else smell that?"
jakethesartech2
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

true...it was just a thought
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

If nothing else, SCBA's are really not cost effective. We have made improvised some before. We took some of our SCUBA gear, we do have full face setups and used that, but it was rather heavy... We had 100cfm where a lot of SCBA bottles are 20-30cfm
burvil_explorers
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by burvil_explorers »

I recently moved down to hot springs with some of my friends and we were wanting to try heading down there. Does anyone know where the entrance is? Could you guys send a PM my way if you find out?
Blog: Here
jakethesartech2
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

ill be in hot springs tommorow around 1:30 or so. any one up for some exploring?
Muffduster
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Muffduster »

Grue wrote:
TooMuchCoffee wrote:I've heard this rumor before. It was supposed to be in the area of the Bath Houses. There is supposed to be a large tunnel suppling the springs hot water to all the Bath Houses. Due to floods and the needs of the houses, the original street was "built up" around 25 feet.
I did some historical research and found that they did just this. Rumor is the access point is, well let me say in public, right out in the open.
You can gain access through.........the Arlington.
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

Nothing like resurrecting super old threads, eh?
cousin wrote:If nothing else, SCBA's are really not cost effective. We have made improvised some before. We took some of our SCUBA gear, we do have full face setups and used that, but it was rather heavy... We had 100cfm where a lot of SCBA bottles are 20-30cfm
That's not a bad idea - I considered army surplus style gas masks once, too. But they don't last long, and are pricy. I was recently reading an article about the Gayoso Bayou underground in Memphis here:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... hidden-02/

The article mentions that Memphis city engineers take oxygen monitors with them, and I was thinking that this might be a good thing to look into. They're not cheap, though. I once considered taking a carbon monoxide detector down with me, but that's only good for one type of gas, whereas urban underground structures (especially those constructed for carrying sewage and other liquid refuse) could produce all kinds of lethal fumes.
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Freak »

A gas mask is only designed to filter toxic shit out of the air, it won't help if there's low oxygen. In fact it will make things worse, you have to work harder to suck the air through the filter, so if there's less oxygen you're working even harder still to get the same amount into your lungs.

When we were mine spelunking in CO we took an oxygen sensor and decided we wouldn't go in past 18% O2 (20.9 is normal). At 19 you start to get a little short of breath and at 17 you feel hung over. I think 14% is when you get brain damage and you start to die if it goes much lower. Of course the damn meter beeps continuously below about 19.5, it's more of a pussy than us.