Menninger's Clinic

Urban exploration in Kansas
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Menninger's Clinic

Post by Scout »

This is probably the most famous Psychiatric Hospital in the world, located in Topeka, Kansas. For a variety of reasons, it has been relocated to Houston, Texas. The buildings are empty, some vandalized and some in good condition. It sets on a high hill, not far from the Governor's Mansion-Cedar Crest. It has a sweeping view of central Topeka. The campus seems to consist of at least four older buildings, red brick and one or more huge modernistic stucco buildings. Additionally, the old TV station, also abandoned, sets on the campus and there is a Fish and Game station either on or near it on the far northwestern corner. I didn't see the far eastern side of the campus, so I'm unfamiliar with that side.

We drove up there on a cold, blustery day. It was sunny with snow cover. As soon as we entered the campus, another SUV came wheeling past. They were on some of the deserted paved roads and also the grass, so I knew they were unauthorized-or thought so. After a light recon of the western portion, I got out and snapped some pics and told my driver to meet me where we'd come in. I started to cross the fence and immediately an SUV showed up. It seemed that it was possibly another sight-seer so I just waited. Soon it was gone but then another small SUV with "SECURITY" emblazoned on it showed up. They advertised "dogs" on their vehicle. Strangely, though we were parked right at a locked gate and I was out of the vehicle, they paid us no mind and curiously drove around the gate on the grass and entered the campus proper. They too were soon out of sight. I boldly went ahead and entered the campus, going about halfway towards my first and main objective, the old hospital itself, also known as the "belltower" building. This was the oldest building and was made of red brick. It wasn't really Victorian in style and wasn't a Kirkbride, but it was classy even though I'd describe its style as "early institutional". This is a park-like setting and I made it halfway and was photographing some deer which were lounging right on the front lawn under some Pines. The first SUV was watching me from a semi-hidden position. I headed back towards the old TV station and clicked some more pics. My ride picked me up in the station parking lot and we gave it up.

My guess is that the first vehicle we saw were blatantly trespassing and somebody called them in. Security showed up about the time we got there, ruining our fun. There is so much history there and I'd love to see the inside of the old hospital before it's torn down. My guess is that will be soon.

[/img]Image

[/img]Image[/url]
"That old hag hates my ass."
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Menninger's Clinic

Post by peterbillionaire »

inside the clock tower.....
Attachments
DSC03300.JPG
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Cool.
SweetTater78
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SweetTater78 »

Yesterday, we took a road trip to Topeka. When we got off at the Wanamaker exit, I looked north on Wanamaker and told hubby..."that's it...there it is...". I had looked up the old Menninger Hospital on Google Maps to find a landmark to go from...the Roundabout at 6th & Wanamaker. As we headed north, we located the old TV station...followed the road around and came to a locked gate. CRAP! So i got out & snapped a few pics. So sad to see that most of the buildings are razed and the building with the clock tower looks to be the wrecking balls next culprit. :(
Attachments
The awesome bell tower building...why can't they just leave it alone??
The awesome bell tower building...why can't they just leave it alone??
A building still standing on the south east side of the property...
A building still standing on the south east side of the property...
Smokestack on the east side of the property...wonder what it was for...?
Smokestack on the east side of the property...wonder what it was for...?
Sign at the gate
Sign at the gate
Sign at the gate
Sign at the gate
Livin' in the ICT!
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: Menninger

Post by Scout »

They can't leave it alone because Menninger's moved and the state of Kansas now owns it and will develop the property. There is a housing development already pushing it from the west. It is heavily patrolled and probably not worth your time to try it. There are dogs around and the rent-a-cops will be all over you.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

so shoot the rent a cops and pepper the dogs go for it---okokoko sorry it is sad
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

More pics!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Excellent. Except for the part about it being torn down.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

That's fn sweet! Is there a bunch of vintage tv equipment laying around in there?
SweetTater78
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SweetTater78 »

Awesome! :D
Livin' in the ICT!
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Those are some great pics Spectre. Thanks for sharing. I'd have at least went into the TV station if the heat hadn't been right on me that day. It looked easy to access.

Your latest pics look like something out of Session 9.
Dehno
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Dehno »

It really is a shame. Menningers was a beautiful place.
Here's a few shots i've gotten over a few times of exploring. i Think most of them are from 2007