Jolly cave in/near Monett.

Urban exploration in Missouri
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Jolly cave in/near Monett.

Post by junkman306 »

I was born and raised in Monett. We always went to Jolly Mill and hung out in the summer. There is a cave there called Jolly Cave. The only entrance I know of you have to repell down, but For years there's been a huge steel plate that covers the hole. When I was in jr. high, one of my teachers said there was another entrance at the Monett park under the city chat piles. He told me they used to party there back in his highschool days. Supposedly they connect even though Jolly Mill is like 5 or 6 miles away. Also I heard a story that when they were building the bridge over the railroad tracks by Tyson's, everytime they would try to set the steel beams in the ground to anchor the pillars, the beams would fall through the hole they drilled. Supposedly they lowered a few guys in and there's a pretty good cave system. I've also heard that they followed the caves and ended up near Lamar and that they found some old guns and dynamite and barrels of black powder from the civil war days. They also found pist with bones in them and they think the confederates used the caves to go north and the union found out and dug the pits so when the confederates would run through there they couldn't see real well and fall in the pits and eventually die. That's all I know for now. Great site by the way.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Jolly cave in/near Monett.

Post by BROUSER »

junkman306 wrote:Supposedly they connect even though Jolly Mill is like 5 or 6 miles away. Also I heard a story that when they were building the bridge over the railroad tracks by Tyson's, everytime they would try to set the steel beams in the ground to anchor the pillars, the beams would fall through the hole they drilled. Supposedly they lowered a few guys in and there's a pretty good cave system. I've also heard that they followed the caves and ended up near Lamar and that they found some old guns and dynamite and barrels of black powder from the civil war days. They also found pist with bones in them and they think the confederates used the caves to go north and the union found out and dug the pits so when the confederates would run through there they couldn't see real well and fall in the pits and eventually die.
I didn't know there was a cave there. We used to do family outings there. I'm afraid that what your teacher told you sounds like an urban legend. Almost every cave that is well-known has an urban legend or two. Here are the known long caves in Missouri:

Crevice Cave, Perry County, 28.2 miles
Moore Cave, Perry County, 16.7 miles
Mystery Cave, Perry County, 15.8 miles
Rimstone River Cave, Perry County, 14.2 miles
Carroll Cave, Camden County, 11.3 miles
Powder Mill Creek Cave, Shannon County, 8.8 miles
Devils Icebox, Boone County, 6.6 miles
Piquet Cave, Pulaski County 4.9 miles
Cameron Cave, Marion County 4.6 miles
Meramec Caverns, Franklin County, 4.5 miles

If there had been a find of Union/Confederate civil war activity, it shouldn't be hard to research, and actually would have been pretty sensationalized.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Jolly cave in/near Monett.

Post by junkman306 »

True. All my teacher told me was that they used to party there and that they connect. He said he knew of the only other entrance, but never would tell me. Ok, so if you're coming from the east towards Jolly Mill, go past Jolly Mill. There's a road that t's in from the north and goes back to 60 hwy. Right before the T where the road curves to the right, in the ditch on the right there is a big steel plate with a door thats padlocked and it's been welded. Oh the cave is called Jolly Cave.
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

If I may interject here,
there is record of a large cave system with an entry in what is now the Monett City park. According to the accounts I read two people entered the cave which contained a lake. A lot of rock was mined around the entrance to the cave and was used in making the early streets of Monett. The account that I read also said that the cave entrance was closed in.
You can read the account here:http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri. ... 2/W83f.htm
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

You are correct. As I mentioned in my opening post, the entrance is next to what was the soccer fields and are now just a field as of recently. The entrance was concreted and covered by one of the large chat piles used by the city.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yup, there is a cave underneath Monett Park. I have a picture somewhere of a boy scout troop standing in front of the opening in the park. I think I read that that entrance has been sealed, though.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Yep it's sealed. There's supposed to be another one though, but I've searched everywhere and I can't find it.
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

wonder how thick the slab is there? must be pretty stout or the chat pile would have collapsed into it... still gets ones gears turning...
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

You know what, though. Someone did tell me one time that there was a steel door or something somewhere near the park (but not actually at it) that was a second entrance to the cave under the park. They didn't say anything about it being as far as Jolly, though. I think you were supposed to be able to see it from the road someplace.

That ring any bells?
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Good question. I wish we could talk them into opening it.
Oh by the way Monett has some cool tunnels. The easiest way is to go to front street and walk down into kelly creek and then up the tunnels.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Oh, and the sealed entrance in the park that I was talkign about, is that the same one you were talking about under the chat pile? Or is it a different one?
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

Flop me!
I've been to Monett a lot and never knew there were tunnels there! definately worth a look see next time I'm out there...
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Nope it's the same one. I know that for sure. My teacher remembers when they covered it and created the city chat piles to hide it. As far as a steel door that has to be a myth. I've never seen it and this is also the area that everybody sleds at so someone would've found it by now. Now the steel door at Jolly Mill is right by the road.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Somewhere between here"
Roy Howerton, a Monett pharmacist, claims that the cave was just a hole in the ground.
and here:
McKee claims he traveled to Pierce City before surfacing. McKee then returned by underground to Monett to tell about his amazing adventure.
is probably where the truth lies. Please consider the source of the story,
Editor’s Note: Daniel J. Shelton’s story was entered in the 1982 Historical Essay Contest.
The research is strictly hearsay gathered by an eighth grader.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Well, the steel door thing near the park I've actually heard from a few people. I got the impression it's just a steel plate or something, though. I don't know if it's near the park or a ways off or if it really even exists, but I've heard it enough to wonder.