Upper branch of Jordan Creek

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Upper branch of Jordan Creek

Post by Willard »

The City is opeing back up the North Eastern branch of Jordan Creek. It's the section that runs between National Ave. and Fremont Ave. This branch goes through Silver Springs Park and Smith Park (Smith is bordered by Division St. and Fremont Ave. Check it out. It's a pretty big public works project... White Rabbit, this is the section of tunnel I told you about in an earlier post.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Upper branch of Jordan Creek

Post by White Rabbit »

By opening, you mean they're removing the covering over it?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Yes they are uncovering the creek, but it's only for the section between National and Fremont. I don't know if/when they will uncover the part of the creek that runs through downtown.

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Upper branch of Jordan Creek

Post by White Rabbit »

Willard wrote:Yes they are uncovering the creek, but it's only for the section between National and Fremont. I don't know if/when they will uncover the part of the creek that runs through downtown.
Makes sense. There's really nothing of importance on top of that section of tunnel.

I hope they leave a decent sized tunnel going under National, though.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Oh, hey. This is the tunnel I was talking about the other night that comes out near the National Guard armory. I didn't realize it was a branch of Jordan Creek, though. I didn't know what it was.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Sertile wrote:Oh, hey. This is the tunnel I was talking about the other night that comes out near the National Guard armory. I didn't realize it was a branch of Jordan Creek, though. I didn't know what it was.
Yeah, the tunnel with Hell's church, where it comes out on the east side, it splits in a Y, and one section goes to the tunnel under National. The other one leads to another set of tunnels. I'm not sure which arm of the Y is Jordan Creek, or if they both are, but Willard probably knows as usual :P
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I'm getting damned pissed at my computer now... I just tried to post a minute ago and for some reason, it decided to compleatly shut down my web browser... grrr... Last night I tried to post the same information and my computer decided it just didn't want to work at all... oh well...

Anyway, the norther branch at the concrete y that heads past Tendle Mills and up by Evangle (the part we are talking about in this thread) is the official Jordan Creek... the south branch of the y is just a small creek that was never named. It wasn't ever very big until the city modified it years ago for drainage.

Also, the Jordan Creek is concidered the official start point (where ever the Jordan Creek's "spring" is at) for the Wilson Creek. Back in the 1910's the Jordan Creek was still called Wilson Creek. Sometime around then some holy rollers in town decided to rename the upper branch the Jordan Creek after the Jordan Creek in the middle east where Jesus was baptised. Go figure... only in the buckle of the Bible Belt!

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Willard wrote:Back in the 1910's the Jordan Creek was still called Wilson Creek. Sometime around then some holy rollers in town decided to rename the upper branch the Jordan Creek after the Jordan Creek in the middle east where Jesus was baptised. Go figure... only in the buckle of the Bible Belt!
Yeah, I read that in a book once. It's hard to believe that filthy creek was ever clean enough to baptize someone in :P
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I doubt even 100 years ago it was clean... I'm not even sure it was very clean 125 years ago... there were a few mills along it's banks downtown and of course we know what companies do with their waist...

Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Just wanted to say me and WR went to check on the progress of the North Brance tunnel over by Silver Springs last night. They're really tearing that thing apart over there. I can't say I see how it's going to be a huge improvement though. I mean, we followed the thing above ground and it snakes through a lot of people's back yards. Would YOU want the Jordan Creek stinking up your back yard? I'd just as soon have it covered if it were me.

Anyway, at least I got to explore it once over the summer before they started in on it, not that there was much to see. I guess as long as they leave the main drag under Water St. alone, I'll be happy.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, they got a long way to go if their intention is to beautify that section of Jordan Creek. The parts they've torn up look like shit right now.

Personally, I'd rather have a big honkin' tunnel in my back yard.