Buffalo River Caves

Urban exploration in Arkansas
exconghost
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Buffalo River Caves

Post by exconghost »

thanks for the welcome, anyway, the cave is located about 2 miles south of boxley, from the Hwy. 21/43 jct. at boxley, go south until you get to the buffalo river bridge, take the dirt road that turns right at the bridge, go up the hill about 1/2 mile, there is sort of a parking spot on the left, and a trail to the cave on the right, the cave has a big steel fence around it.
Lurking douchebag.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Buffalo River Caves

Post by White Rabbit »

BROUSER wrote:WR, others, I still think a camping excursion to Lost Valley is in order. I'm thinking with a little research, we could find a lot to keep us busy for whatever time we'd care to spend down there.
I'm definitely down for it. You'll have to coordinate it with Hiccup, though, because she's the one with the screwy schedule.
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by ambrosian_spelunker »

White Rabbit wrote:
BROUSER wrote:WR, others, I still think a camping excursion to Lost Valley is in order. I'm thinking with a little research, we could find a lot to keep us busy for whatever time we'd care to spend down there.
I'm definitely down for it. You'll have to coordinate it with Hiccup, though, because she's the one with the screwy schedule.
Hey I am definetly up for a trip!! Especially now that it's cooler. Okay update on maps I located some caves and other things to check out, I found out about through the mapping and research.

List:
Peter Cave
Bat House Bluff
Tie Slide
Rock House (The Barns)
White Springs
Swinging Bridge (on Bear Creek)
Round House (new Magic Springs, AR)
Bat Cave
Old Mill
Swinging Bridge (Arrington Creek)
Rock Bottom
Hemmed In Hollow (we all know this one)
Beauty Cave (known as Fitton)
Bone Hole (known as Conrad Fissure)
War House Cave
Hannah Rock
Chimney Rock (known as Balanced Rock)
Swinging Bridge (E. Fork Little Buffalo)
Diamond Cave
Skull Cave
Iceledo
John Eddings Cave
Chimney Hole (Natural Bridge)
Bat House Cave
Haunted Cave
Buffalo Point Cave
Blowing Cave
Stone Fences
Copperhead Sink
Saltpeter Cave
Wobbling Rock
Elephant Head
Peccary Cave
Indian Creek Canyon Cave (extent of cave if a cave is unknown)
Panther Creek Rock House
Red Cloud Mine
Shawnee Cave
Goat Trail Bluff Line
Welch Bluff (possible system)
Crossbar Cave
The Nar's

If anyone knows of these or has been let me know I would like to get some info.

Let's schedule a trip WR!
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??
travcojim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by travcojim »

the one up from the bridge exconghost is talking about is called Bat Cave. Its closed when the bats are using it, if you got about a mile past that there is a trail out to Hawks Bill Craig that has some great bluffs.
kc0uxr
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by kc0uxr »

ambrosian_spelunker to answer your previous question on where is Cozahome, AR..... it's off of Hwy 14 between Marshall & Yelleville.... the community is about 5 miles off of the highway.... only 2 miles of which are paved. There are many caves in this area, a few waterfalls, a couple old home places, & what the locals call McClanahan Holes....(which is actually a series of cavernous sinkholes) You can also find very old Churches, cemeteries, old farms, rock formationns.... I grew up in this area. Very interesting places there.
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

kc0uxr wrote:ambrosian_spelunker to answer your previous question on where is Cozahome, AR..... it's off of Hwy 14 between Marshall & Yelleville.... the community is about 5 miles off of the highway.... only 2 miles of which are paved. There are many caves in this area, a few waterfalls, a couple old home places, & what the locals call McClanahan Holes....(which is actually a series of cavernous sinkholes) You can also find very old Churches, cemeteries, old farms, rock formationns.... I grew up in this area. Very interesting places there.
I have a map of the area and located it but thank you. I now have extensive maps of the Bufflao River valley and surrounding area. Although if you know exact locations of some of the caves, sinkholes ect. Wouls love to get with you on them in order to add the area to the map. If your interested in the maps I have pm me and for direction to the ones you know of please pm me. Taking a trip the weekend of the 22-24 to do some caving on the Buffalo anyone interested??
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??
kc0uxr
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by kc0uxr »

I'm going to the area soon...I'll get some GPS coordinates if that will be helpful.
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Yes that would be very helpful I sure appreciate it thank you. I will be taking 9 days in November to do nothing but caving. I have several I will be thoroughly mapping and one in which I have located a second entrance and I will be exploring it. It's one that hasn't been accessed more than 135' back it's extensive just a large karst. I'd be more than happy to share any of my findings with you in exchange for what you have as well as maps. Just pm me we can arrange something.
RB123
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Buffalo River Caves

Post by RB123 »

ambrosian_spelunker wrote: There's a cave that has a concrete opening, ift appears as if at one time it was either gated or was used for other purposes. I have seen pictures of it but no luck on the location. It is supposed to be right on the Buffalo through the woods a bit. If anyone has any ideas would love to get that information.
Ambrosian is this the cave you are referring to?
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

well if he isnt i will ask what is the deal is it a door way to the under world??? what is on the other side andn how far back is this
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
RB123
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by RB123 »

The story behind all of the concrete and the door is this. The cave (which is also a spring) is slightly uphill from an old homestead. The owners poured the concrete and a small retaining bowl fitted with pipes (you have to look close at the bottom of the picture to see these) which ran down to the house providing it with running water. The door on it probably served two purposes both to keep critters out of the clean water (nobody wants to drink raccoon pee) and to keep the entrance cool enough so that it could be used to store food in. As far as how far back it goes I can't tell you for sure. I went back maybe a 1/4 of a mile or so and was tired so I turned back. Haven't been able to get back to it to find the end yet.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

so kinda like a underground spring house---we had a artisian well that some one had built a room around and they used it to keep there milk and eggs and stuff like that good and chilled kinda a real early ice box without the ice
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

My grandparents lived down around Hurley. They live on one place where they had the cave/spring set up to keep stuff cool. The last place they had had an open spring and they piped the water into the house.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RB123
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by RB123 »

I can't say I'm not for it. After all people pay good money at the store for bottled spring water so why not get it straight from the tap? :D
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

A lot of people would be real surprised if they actually saw what was in there Bottled Water"