Note on U of A steam tunnels

Urban exploration in Arkansas
greenbush
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Note on U of A steam tunnels

Post by greenbush »

Cool site WR. I got pointed here by a guy at work who has friends in Siloam Springs. I live in Calif. now.

Trivia item on the FayettNam campus tunnels:

I learned what Dungeons and Dragons was back in the day because of rumors on campus that players would sneak into those tunnels to play sessions at night.

Class of 86, represent!

(I partied a time or two in an old mine near Johnson, don't remember exactly where it is, but rumor on that was that witches held Sabbats there... good times...it wasn't so much underground as the base of a hill that was mined out with lots of support columns left to hold the hill up)
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: Note on U of A steam tunnels

Post by GlassCurtain »

greenbush wrote:(I partied a time or two in an old mine near Johnson, don't remember exactly where it is, but rumor on that was that witches held Sabbats there... good times...it wasn't so much underground as the base of a hill that was mined out with lots of support columns left to hold the hill up)
Hey bud welcome to the site. The mine you're referring to is the Zero Mountain mine that they called "The Cave". It's about 25,000sq/ft. I've been trying to keep it quiet until I had a chance to check it out thoroughly with White Rabbit but now's as good a time as any.

It's in Johnson, which is right next to Fayetteville. There is one entrance in the front which is fenced in and there were 3 entrances in the back but they collapsed them due to people (mainly the witch thing) partying there. But we did find a way in the back which is fairly hidden.

We only got to check it out a little but we definitely want to go back for a closer look. So if anyone wants to go I'd definitely be down with going with a group.
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: Note on U of A steam tunnels

Post by ambrosian_spelunker »

heck yeah, so when do you want to go?
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: RE: Note on U of A steam tunnels

Post by GlassCurtain »

ambrosian_spelunker wrote:heck yeah, so when do you want to go?
Hell yeah. I have weekends off. I live about 10mi's from the mine so name your day and I'm there. The place was so big that the darkness just engulfed our flashlights so I bought a 15million candle power spotlight just for this mine but I haven't had a chance to go back.

In all honestly we were in the mine for about 10 mins before we...how do I say it...I guess the most apt phrase would that be we got scared. Now let me follow this up with the fact that there have been several stories of devil worshipping and/or witchcrafting in this mine. So when we were in there with crappy flashlights and the worshipping stories in our head, the graffiti, the several melted candles, and the discarded clothes freaked us out. Also there was a rolled up tarp (we avoided that). :)

Anyway, we want to go back with more people so everyone sign up! This is unmarked territory on this site just waiting to be explored. WR I know you're in! ;)
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

SWEEETT!! I am totally in!!! Name the weekend and I am there! Sounds like we could definetly use the light! There are some other area caves near there as well, could make a whole weekend of this!! So what's up WR you game? Name the weekend, time and place to meet and I will be there with bells on!!!!

Aw now why get freaked out, there's nothing in the dark but darkness itself...LOL Well, we hope so anyways!! This is one freaky spelunking chic that's game for anything especially something scary full of mystery....
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: RE: Note on U of A steam tunnels

Post by GlassCurtain »

ambrosian_spelunker wrote:SWEEETT!! I am totally in!!! Name the weekend and I am there! Sounds like we could definetly use the light! There are some other area caves near there as well, could make a whole weekend of this!! So what's up WR you game? Name the weekend, time and place to meet and I will be there with bells on!!!!

Aw now why get freaked out, there's nothing in the dark but darkness itself...LOL Well, we hope so anyways!! This is one freaky spelunking chic that's game for anything especially something scary full of mystery....
Awesome!! I love your attitude! Yeah there are a few things to check out while you're up here. Namely Monte Ne hotel/ampitheatre ruins, wonderland cave and walmart headquarters.

So it looks like it's up to WR to name his weekend and we'll all go. Anyone else is definitely welcome too. Slow_Walker I know you're in! ;)
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

Dude, it does sound totally awesome but I am sure my work schedule will prevent me from getting to go.

It sucks being the newest employee so you get stuck working the shift and the days that nobody wants. What sucks even worse is that the guy who had my schedule before me was stuck for 3 years.

I'll never get to go do anything with you guys if I have to work this schedule that long. :cry: Although the good news is my first 90 days will be over with this week and then I can start using my vacation time. From your first day here you start receiving 7.8 hours of vacation for every 80 hours worked. But you can't use any until after you have been here 90 days.

And well, the point of that ramble :oops: is to say that I will be able to take a Saturday off and have an adventure soon. But I need 2 weeks notice. :oops:
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

greenbush wrote:Cool site WR. I got pointed here by a guy at work who has friends in Siloam Springs. I live in Calif. now.

Trivia item on the FayettNam campus tunnels:

I learned what Dungeons and Dragons was back in the day because of rumors on campus that players would sneak into those tunnels to play sessions at night.
Thanks :) I've heard that about a lot of tunnels. I keep hoping I'll find like some D&D graffiti in a tunnel or something (like, here's the dragon's cave, etc) but I never have.
GlassCurtain wrote:Anyway, we want to go back with more people so everyone sign up! This is unmarked territory on this site just waiting to be explored. WR I know you're in!
Yup, I'm in. We can do it almost any weekend, although the more notice the better since we'll know not to plan anything else for then.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

slow_walker wrote:From your first day here you start receiving 7.8 hours of vacation for every 80 hours worked.
What jerks! Can't they just round it to a full 8 hours? :) But I think we can work something out.
White Rabbit wrote:Yup, I'm in. We can do it almost any weekend, although the more notice the better since we'll know not to plan anything else for then.
Yeah good idea. I'm just going to throw a date out there and see how it works. How about April 29th and 30th? That will hopefully be enough time for walker to schedule with work.
Grue
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Grue »

I think that most schools with steam tunnels have that D&D rumor... I know we did at Northeast Missouri State. There are plenty of fun bits associated with the tunnels there, but perhaps that's for another forum at another time.

I and possibly my wife may be interested in joining on this excursion. We often drive by that area and live relatively close by. Its funny... I saw one of those 15Mcw lights at Sam's club for <$30 today and knew I needed one of those suckers.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

I'm sure it seems like I'm just avoiding going anywhere with you guys, but I promise that's not the case.
I emailed my boss today to request Sat. 29th off from work but was denied. And I can't call in, because I work alone, so there would be no one there and they would have to call-in someone from another shift to take my place at the last minute. I don't want to do that.
The one guy who works 3rd shift on the days I don't has already requested vacation for the 30th this month so he is not available to work for me on the 29th and I have to work for him on the 30th.

Sorry :cry:
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

White Rabbit wrote:Yeah good idea. I'm just going to throw a date out there and see how it works. How about April 29th and 30th?.
Hooley!! 8) Sounds like we have gravitated towards a general plan. So what says the crowd yeah or nay? Come on now don't get a girls spirits up and douse em' with water, bring on the fun!
GlassCurtain wrote: Awesome!! I love your attitude! Yeah there are a few things to check out while you're up here. Namely Monte Ne hotel/ampitheatre ruins, wonderland cave and walmart headquarters.

Booise da Jee! :wink: I was starting to think I was getting stale! Monte Ne, ahh now there's a challenge 25 caves within a 10 mile radius just waiting to be discovered!! I love a challenge! I located an underwater system there back in Feb., you want to play with the dark your gonna have to get wet with this one!

I will be scuba diving the ruins in two months! Wonderland Cave is definetly one I want to check out. So who's game and who's staying home with momma! Come on boys ya gonna let a girl out do ya! Put on your game face and dive in! :D

Slane lhiat!
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I'm pretty interested. I'm not sure how my schedule will work, but keep me in the loop, I just might be able to make one of the days.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
&#8213; Ken Ham
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

slow_walker wrote:I emailed my boss today to request Sat. 29th off from work but was denied.
Aw come on walker. So you work 3rd shift? darn it. This is a mine we have hit at night since the area is pretty active in the day. Will any other day work?
ambrosian_spelunker wrote:Sounds like we have gravitated towards a general plan. So what says the crowd yeah or nay? Come on now don't get a girls spirits up and douse em' with water, bring on the fun!
Awesome! I glad you're stoked about going. I can't wait!

The way I figure it we could prolly hit both wonderland cave and zero mountain in the same day. Since we have to hit zero mountain at night we can hit wonderland cave in the day.

ALSO OFFER TO ALL: My house is definitely open for anyone wanting to crash there. We have more than enough room.
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

GlassCurtain wrote: Awesome! I glad you're stoked about going. I can't wait!

The way I figure it we could prolly hit both wonderland cave and zero mountain in the same day. Since we have to hit zero mountain at night we can hit wonderland cave in the day.

ALSO OFFER TO ALL: My house is definitely open for anyone wanting to crash there. We have more than enough room.
Sweet may take you up on that offer. If anyone's ever down my way for what ever reason, heck even if it's to hit some clubs and party. My house is open I have a 3000 sq ft place PLENTY of room!!

So I say we do this!! I am itchin to get out there it's been three weeks since I hit the last system. Wow the discoveries too! GC pm me I'll give you details! Lets' go boys jump on this band wagon or get left in the dust!! Come on now Slow you can't leave me hanging we sheila's have to stick togther!