Caves around Bolivar

Urban exploration in Missouri
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Caves around Bolivar

Post by construct_this »

Has anyone ever explored any caves around Bolivar? Between my friends and I, we know of quite a few. None of them are super spectacular, but they are a good way to kill an afternoon. Most of the ones we know of are fairly mainstream around the locals but I do know of a few that are hidden and some that I have just heard about(but have directions to).
mjames
Prodigal Son Returns
Prodigal Son Returns

Re: Caves around Bolivar

Post by mjames »

My girlfriend grew up in that area, she mentioned a few. I'll get some info from her tonight and post any specific things of interest
Back in Black!
LuketheDuke11
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Caves around Bolivar

Post by LuketheDuke11 »

I know of one off of Buffalo Rd near the T intersection. It's on some private land on the hill that overlooks the downtown area of the city. Looks more like a den than anything else and it has some makeshift fencing covering some of it. I don't know how deep it goes nor have I ever been inside.
Nemophilist
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Nemophilist »

There's Enon Church Cave, but the entrance is pretty small. I've always had to go in alone because nobody else can fit.

www.undergroundozarks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4582
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

Yeah, I know where thats at. There is actually a few more within a few miles of that one. The Wishart and Morrisville areas seem to have more than Bolivar.
Nemophilist
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Nemophilist »

Oh really?
Now I'm interested. Enon is the only one I know of anywhere near Bolivar.
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

Well McDermit cave is up at Pomme De Terre lake... Its very easy access, most people around Bolivar know of it as cavehole. Near Enon there is probably 3 or maybe 4 that I know of, but they are on private property, except one in a ditch that goes under the gravel road. I have heard stories of a cave at the 123 bridge over Stockton Lake. I know there is more, I just can't think of them.
Raspius
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Raspius »

Would anyone be interested in taking a trip to scope out all the caves in that area sometime this week?
DeathByMoth
BANNED
BANNED

Post by DeathByMoth »

Don't listen to her! It's a rape trap!
- Y U NO LIKE RANDY?!?!
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by The Count »

If you were closer I'd hit it wit you for sure.
Randy T.
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Randy T. »

I live in Bolivar. I've been to the back of the Enon cemetery cave. My brother wanted to go because he heard someone found a skull in there. Fucking creep. There is a nice creek in there, don't remember too much about it. I recently heard about a cave between Halfway and Bolivar, heard it was pretty messed up, too. I have not been able to track it down, though. I used to live in Halfway. I have also heard about a cave on Burns bluff, that could be the same one. Does cave hole go very far? I have not been there with a flashlight.
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

I have also heard of the cave at Burns, and the stories about the Spanish gold... and all sorts of stuff but I do not think Burns has a cave anywhere accessible. If you have a canoe you can put in at Burns and float an often see small caves, but I have never ventured into any of them. There is also the old city dump just down the river from Burns that is very interesting. I have never heard of any caves between Bolivar and Halfway that I can remember. Unless it would be in the area of AA Highway. In that case there is some stuff I know of. I had heard there was one in the bluff at Lynn Creek bridge (three whistles bridge as SBU students call it), but I have never been able to find it. As for Cavehole... well it goes back about 1000 feet(my guess anyways.) Its tight and sometimes you have to squat, but its too awkward to crawl.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Tangent: People must think that the Spanish were some wily, rich mother fuckers to be leaving gold in every other cave they came upon, that so much treasure is hiding away in all these caves... all over the place... that no one's ever found... any of them.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

Most stories claim that the Spanish had the gold and would hide it in efforts to protect themselves and their gold against the natives... However, I would imagine if there was Spanish gold in any cave then it would've since been found or washed away.