Drains in the Springfield Area

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Spectral
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Drains in the Springfield Area

Post by Spectral »

Hey all, I've had a chance to explore quite a few drains in Springfield, though I get the feeling there's not too many walkable (At the very least 4' tall) ones left to explore.
There might be some even in Nixa and Ozark, though I'm not too sure where to look. I'd really appreciate it if someone knows of any good ones in the area.

-Raven
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Here's the only ones I know of at the moment.

There's a big one behind Colton's steak house that catches my eye every time I drive by.

Also, there's a few new-looking drains around Best Buy that are only big enough to skateboard through. I wouldn't look at drains that small normally, but they might go somewhere interesting.

Anyone know of more?
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

I live in Ozark and I can tell you there's nothing like that down here. There use to be rumors that there was a tunnel system underneath the square running from the courthouse to the new police station, but they were totally false. However, we do have the haunted bridge and the haunted Riverside Inn. My friend and I actually had an experience on the bridge after visiting a couple times. But as far as drains go, there are none like that in Ozark. I lived in Nixa my whole life up until this year, and I'm almost positive there are none there either.
Spectral
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Spectral »

Damn, that's discouraging to hear ivecomeasiam. Though, that bridge and Riverside Inn sound interesting. What exactly happens on the bridge?

Also, I'll try checking out that drain behind Colton's tonight WR. If it's anything like the other one's I've seen out south, it should be promising. There's about 6 other decent sized ones out that way, and I'll be glad to show 'em once I get the site back up and running. One starts near Primrose and Fremont and actualy leads all the way to Battlefield (Road, heh).

Thanks for the info guys! I'll be sure to post if I can find anything interesting...
transnorm42
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

You've been to the ACID tunnel, right?

Post by transnorm42 »

I haven't been there in a couple years, but has been a work in progress for at least 10 or 12b years that I know of. It is an 8 foot tall storm drain that runs under I-44, just east of the hwy65 interchange. There are LOTS of spraypainted artpieces and grafitti throughout the whole thing.

The easyiest way to find it is to just walk down the hill from the American Inn toward 65... Usually not a good idea to park in the American Inn parking lot though, as their security may call the cops or have your car towed. Just park up the street a bit and walk there. :twisted:
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Hey, yeah. That's actually the infamous Acid Tunnel you're talking about, trans. That place is pretty cool. I've never seen so much graffiti in one place. It was beautiful, in a way. But yeah, the American Inn people keep a fairly good eye on it.
skrizach
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by skrizach »

So, I was reading in the paper that they are thinking of a project to "free Jordan Creek". It sounds to me like they are looking for a way to open up the creek, probably due to the newly vested interest in Center City. But I hear that within the next 6 months that they are going to start surveying, and subsequently doing construction on the Jordan Valley Tunnel System.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Skrizach, what's this Jordan Valley Tunnel System you're talking about?
Spectral
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Spectral »

I think he means that huge tunnel that runs by Water Street downtown. I wonder how they plan on "opening it up" exactly?

Oh yeah, I got near that drain by Colton's, but it was on the otherside of a fence that practically stretches from Fremont to Glenestone. It would be so damn easy to park on the highway and walk to it, but I'm a little leary of doing that. The fence actually stops near Glenestone, so maybe I'll just walk around it and go from there..

Also, I found what looks to be another large drain near Cox South. Unfortunately, it's down in a deep ravine, and there's a pretty good flow of water in it. Basically it's in a swamp, heh.

One last thing... I have an Acrobat file that shows all the sinkholes and streams in Springfield. I'm sure it could defintely be useful for finding some new drains and such. I would upload it to my host, but they have a crap upload limit of only 400kbs. I'd be glad to email it to anyone who wants to see it though.

-Raven
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Drains in the Springfield Area

Post by Willard »

I must say that you all take quite an interest in the old Jordan Creek tunnel. I will say that the city is concidering opening up the creek again, but I doubt they will. Mainly because it will cost more then the whole Jordan Vally park project will cost total. The main reason the tunnel was build is because during heavy rains that creek floods something fierce... The tunnel was built in stages to controle the flooding. The army corps of engineers will have to do some major work upstream (possibly around silver springs park or farther northeast up by Glenstone)in order to create a flood controle sysptem. I must say however that if they do rip it open they will destroy (and not replace) the old stone bridges at Campbell and Boonville.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Drains in the Springfield Area

Post by White Rabbit »

Willard wrote:The main reason the tunnel was build is because during heavy rains that creek floods something fierce...
Yup, I've been begging Raven for months to take a canoe trip through the tunnel with me next time it rains heavy.