Carefree Industrial Park - Independence, MO

Urban exploration in Missouri
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Carefree Industrial Park - Independence, MO

Post by testube »

We were up in KC last weekend, and I picked up something I bought via eBay while I was there. I was given directions to the "Carefree Industrial Park" beforehand, having no idea that this is one of those incredible underground business park facilities!

There was a security gate/guard that checked for our name on a list. Then he told us what tunnel to drive into, and (once inside) what massive numbered "column" we were to stop at. It was crazy - there were semi-trucks driving in/out the whole time. Inside, everything had been given a coating of white paint, and the air smelled like exhaust. We were told not to park/idle at any time, although several large trucks were doing just that, sitting there with their hazards blinking. I can't imagine working down there.

Some of the business access bays inside the tunnel looked really rough, with old corrugated tin doors. Others were high tech, glass-fronted showrooms. One opening daylighted to a canyon with a muddy road leading into it. May have been part of an old quarry. Many businesses just had doors installed in concrete block walls with overhead security cameras.

Anyways, some of you have probably been in this place before, so it may not be a big deal. But it was a really cool surprise for me, since I was just expecting an old warehouse on the outskirts of KC. Unfortunately, I didn't even think to snap photos until we were on our way out of there. I guess the security checkpoint and shock of driving underground behind a trail of semi-trucks threw me off. I'll follow-up soon with the few pics that I managed to take from the car.
Last edited by testube on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: Carefree Industrial Park - Independence, MO

Post by testube »

As promised, here are the four pics we were able to take. I took my time loading up my merchandise before exiting so that there wouldn't be semi-trucks blocking the view the whole time, like they were on our way in. Sorry these pics aren't too great. Wish I had more time to wander around a bit before we left...

colony
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by colony »

That's pretty sweet, and an even more awesome way to reuse old quarries and mines. Absolutely awesome.
Skullbowl
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Carefree Industrial Park - Independence, MO

Post by Skullbowl »

Nice job getting these pictures!
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

my question is, what the hell did you buy?
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

cousin wrote:my question is, what the hell did you buy?
plutonium!
:shock:

j/k

Actually, we bought a new entry door for our house - got a great deal on it. ;)
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Government lab-grown alien babies, most likely.
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: RE: Carefree Industrial Park - Independence, MO

Post by testube »

SubLunar wrote:Government lab-grown alien babies, most likely.
LOL

s.sisco
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by s.sisco »

Pretty cool wish you had more pics.
Btw I'm a douche. That is all...
JC
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JC »

There are several underground storage facilities around KC. There's an undergound cold storage in Bonner Springs, KS. One off of Lee's Summit Rd in Independence/Lee's Summit (this one had gov't files at one time, also home a Hannah's handy-works, some kind of craft store). There are a couple off 291 in Independence, Geo-space center is the big one. Care-free and another one are also there. There's a couple off 435 and Truman Rd. Subtropolis off 435 and 210. One off of Winchester rd in KCMO. That's just the one's that I know of.

I used to work for Allied Van Lines and we had a contract to deliver Xerox photo copiers. We would go into some strange places to deliver and a lot of them were caves.

Lots of different business using the "caves" for storage. The constant temp and humidity levels are needed for some products. Microfiche, orchids, cardboard box companies, government and police evidence, and several that use ammonia for cold storages.

I was told once that the caves were started in the cold war was fall out shelters, food storage, etc. Supposedly there are ancient blast doors outside some of these facilities. Once the cold war ended that needed another use for the caves and started using them as storage places.
s.sisco
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by s.sisco »

Yea we have an underground fallout shelter now being used for cold storage in Fayetteville pretty awesome if you sneak in.
Btw I'm a douche. That is all...