Big... Fucking... Tunnel... in Tulsa

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Big... Fucking... Tunnel... in Tulsa

Post by gimpface »

I was in Tulsa today with my wife's family. Found two tunnels that need to be explored, one of which is incredibly fucking big. Both can be found at riverside park. The big one is near the non-railroad bridge and it's entrance is about the size of the larger parts of the Jordan Creek tunnel (took some pix, will post when developed). I so wanted to explore it, but unfortunately I was stuck with sisters-in-law and on a timeline. Plus I wasn't driving, so all my UE goodies that I keep in my "Adventurin' Box" were nowhere to be had.

The other tunnel was smaller (about 6'diameter) and more decrepit. I couldn't figure out a way into it that didn't involve me falling into the stinky-ass Arkansas river, but it looked pretty promising.

I'm really thinkingabout making the three-and-a-half hour drive back down there to check these out. Also, Tulsa seems to be rife with abondonments, although there seems to be a pretty realistic threat of being ganked if one were to check them out...
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Big... Fucking... Tunnel... in Tulsa

Post by White Rabbit »

Did you drive around Tulsa much? I had to for a job once, and I saw more gigantic drains than I've ever seen anywhere else. I've been planning forever to go back to Tulsa and explore some stuff for the site, but I just keep putting it off.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

No. That's the freaky thing, I barely even looked and just found stuff left and right. There should totally be a UO road trip to Tulsa and just see what we can find. Bring a crowbar or two for getting manholes open and just go nuts.
mechfreak57
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by mechfreak57 »

anything very close to the TU campus? thats where i usually am if im in tulsa.
The objective of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other sorry bastard die for his.
-Gen. Patton
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

those tunnels are supposedly very expansive

i'm planning on getting out there as soon as the weather warms up a tad
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by FiReDiVeR »

I lived in Tulsa for about 5 years and there are countless tunnels all around the city. The reason there are so many tunnels (well over 1000) is beacuase Tulsa has the most advanced drainage system in the world. They actually had architects come from countries all around the world including: Japan, China, France, and of course good ol USA. I know all this because we had to take a Tulsa history class which was actually fun because we went on lots of field trips. We went to an old jail that was vacant, the old old performing arts building, we got to go down to the Arkansas River and see the old railroad bridge, and we also got to tour the "Tulsa Underground" tunnels which were awesome. These tunnels which are downtown were built for the "old money"(the oil drilling companys owners) so that they could travel from building to building without having to be around society which like today had murders, thieves, and kidnappers. The tunnels used only by the wealthy were and still are carpeted, lighted, and have paintings hanging on the walls, it feels like you are walking down a hallway at the White House because they are so nice, clean, and decorated. The tunnels are so neat because you can just go from building to building without ever going outside. Now back to the water tunnels some of them are miles long and some just go underneath 1 street. Some are so tall you can't reach the ceiling others you have to hunch over. My friends(from there) and I went through many of the tunnels but I'd say not even 5% of them. Tulsa would be a good field trip as it always was when I lived there.
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

FiReDiVeR wrote:The tunnels used only by the wealthy were and still are carpeted, lighted, and have paintings hanging on the walls, it feels like you are walking down a hallway at the White House because they are so nice, clean, and decorated.
that is fucking awesome
Tulsa would be a good field trip . . .
agreed!
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Big... Fucking... Tunnel... in Tulsa

Post by piplnr65656 »

I spent a week in tulsa about 4 years ago because of this class on crane safety i had to take. Noname and I were out driving around and we found a big abandoned mine, somekind of steelmill and a big abandoned dragline south of tulsa. There is also the big(maby 10 story) abandoned castle looking hotel on the north side of the freeway while driving threw town. I am up for a field trip one weekend. If I have my truck with me I would even drive and that will seat 6 comfortably.
HMndnproud
Big Chief Little Shit
Big Chief Little Shit

Post by HMndnproud »

That castle looking hotel is the Camelot. I think it has a thread somewhere on here. I understand it is heavily watched, but I don't know that for certain.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

WE MUST GO!
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Found some pics I took...
Attachments
The legde with the creepy face is about shoulder height.
The legde with the creepy face is about shoulder height.
tulsatunnel1.jpg (24.65 KiB) Viewed 17632 times
Only one way to find out how deep she goes..
Only one way to find out how deep she goes..
tulsatunnel2.jpg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 17632 times
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by FiReDiVeR »

So are we planning a field trip? I know my way around there pretty well eventhough I haven't been there in about 3 years, I am up for it sometime.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

That's an awsome looking tunnle... It looks like I could have been built in the 1920's or 1930's.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

hey...

field trip...

i say the beginning of june...

who's up?
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Thejadedfox and I might be willing to make a trip down to Evil-Bastard-City with you guys, yeah. Let us know when at least three weeks ahead, though, 'cause she'll need to get off work for it.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."