Enright Middle School

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Vindicatedx2x
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Enright Middle School

Post by Vindicatedx2x »

Yeah, it's completely gone I believe... my friends and I were looking to find it last week. It's either gone or rehabbed.. can't remember which, but I know it's inexplorable
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Re: Enright Middle School

Post by Chris »

Rehabbed.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Chris wrote:Rehabbed.
I knew there was a good reason I hadn't done it yet.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

so this place is for sure not do-able? where is/was it?
Puggg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster
Location: Warrenton, Virginia, formerly Phoenix, Arizona, native St. Louis, Missouri

Post by Puggg »

C/O 1991, attended Jan '88 to June '91, half of 5th grade through all of 8th.

Boy, this brings back memories.

Pic 1 I think is one of the two 4th floor gyms, the smaller one.

Pic 4, the request to visit the Principal, is at the rightmost main entrance. The door in the background led to the lunch room.

5, 6 and duplicated 6 are not memories. By the time I was going, the locker room and showers had fallen out of repair and weren't used. We never really were exerted that much in gym anyway, but I remember one time early in the 6th we were, and band was after gym. Michael Collins, the band teacher, one of the very best teachers I've ever had, proclaimed to all of us 11-year olds that it was "Deodorant Time," and even wrote those words on the blackboard. To add to it, every gym teacher made sure to tell us to use deodorant because of the non-functioning showers.

Staircases: A few months before I started at Enright CJA, a third grader (?) fell down across the empty stairwell spaces, fell down three or four floors of space, and was killed for it. When I started, CJA was 2nd through 8th. When I started 7th grade, they added KG and 1st, which didn't turn out well with 8th graders and KGers on the same grounds. But it didn't last long -- 1/2 way through (for me) 7th, KG through 5th was moved to Kennard on the South Side. That left a glorious year and a half with no little kids to run into :)

All throughout the year I was in 8th, Ms Purdy, the admins and teachers were all gossping about the program moving to McKinley, perhaps as early as the next school year (which would have been 91-92). Most of my classmates were bummed out, b/c McK had a pool. I was bummed b/c McK was close to my house, and would have been an easy walking commute. As it turns out, the move didn't happen until 1994.
Puggg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster
Location: Warrenton, Virginia, formerly Phoenix, Arizona, native St. Louis, Missouri

Post by Puggg »

Adding some more -- The 4th floor gym was most likely to be used for gym class. You will notice slim wooden doors on either side of the b/ball hoop, those were kinda changing closets, girls used the left one, boys the right, your regular clothes were stored there while you were doing gym class. There never any showers on or near the 4th floor gyms. Most gym classes were single gender, but some were co-ed. Woe unto the classrooms on the 3rd floor right underneath the gym when there was gym class, band practice, or choir practice. Graduations and other formal ceremonies, and assemblies, were also held there.

The smaller 4th floor gym was rarely used for gym class, just for indoor basketball when one couldn't go outside.

The locker room and showers were close to the 1st floor gym, that was on the far west side of the complex. The gym itself was recessed, and it seemed sorta dungeony. In the days when the showers you used, you walked up the stairs, a short distance then used the first door on the left to get into the locker room. During my days at CJA, some gym classes were held in that gym, and the locker room was used for changing, even though the lockers themselves weren't used, b/c they were so old and rusty and lockless even then, about as bad as the pics in this thread -- you left your regular clothes in bags around the walls.

I don't know if you were able to spelunk through the parts I'm about to describe, but if you see the third of Tunjative's pictures, you'll see what seems to be a one-level annex along the parking lot, corresponding roughtly w/the 1st floor of the main building. What you see was the hall on the way to the industrial arts shop. Going in the other direction, i.e. walking from right to left along that hall, eventually got you to the room where the band had most of its practices.
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kokonutfreaks »

Is this place still standing? I can't seem to find it on Google Maps.
Chubz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Enright Middle School

Post by Chubz »

kokonutfreaks wrote:Is this place still standing? I can't seem to find it on Google Maps.
You probably found it by now, but for anyone else I believe this is now the "Soho Lofts" on Clemens Ave. I was searching for it myself and was able to find some more old photos on this blog: http://irrationalecstasy.blogspot.com/2 ... iddle.html
ultimate lurker