Waterfalls

Urban exploration in Arkansas
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Waterfalls

Post by FiReDiVeR »

Does anybody know of any waterfalls in Arkansas or around the ozarks.
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Waterfalls

Post by bugo »

There is the well-known Cedar Falls in Petit Jean state park, also the Cossatot Falls area of the Cossatot River state park, and Little Missouri Falls. The last two aren't that high, but Cedar Falls is pretty tall. I'm sure there are more in the Ozarks that I'm not aware of.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

There's a small one down at the Lost Valley camping area near Ponca. It's at the end of the hiking trail. There's also one called Eden Falls inside Eden Falls Cave there.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

There's a huge one in hemden hollow in new county along the buffalo. It's a 13mi hike but it's well worth it. Actually there's also a way to get to it from the buffalo river where it's a few mile hike. There may be other ways in though.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
jetskiergrant
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Waterfalls

Post by jetskiergrant »

The one at Lost Valley is an easy jike to the cave and a short hike into the cave. You have to crawl a little in the cave and it ends at the falls. I believe Tim Ernst has a book out about AR waterfalls. I have have looked at it before. Very informative. It gives you directions and basic info on the falls.
jetskiergrant

I did not lie to you, the truth just changed.
jetskiergrant
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jetskiergrant »

The book is titled " Arkansas Waterfalls Guidebook"
jetskiergrant

I did not lie to you, the truth just changed.
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by bugo »

I just remembered another waterfall, it's near Queen Wilhelmina State Park northwest of Mena. It only flows when it is rainy, so I'm sure it's dry right now. The easiest way to get to it is to take US 59-270 west out of Acorn and go 9 miles to the town of Rich Mountain. Take a left onto AR 272 and follow it to its end. (AR 272 climbs right up the side of Rich Mountain, and is very steep and curvy. A neat although short drive.) At the end of 272 at AR 88, look to the south (straight ahead from the end of 272) and the falls are right next to the highway. Sometimes in the winter, they will freeze.
downhil
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by downhil »

oooh, i just thought of one back behind a house i lived in right before i left for texas....ill get back to ya.
downhil
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by downhil »

the best i can do for you is that its around -93.74761 long. and 36.32990 lat. on terra server. i lived at the house at -93.75882 long. and 36.33704 lat. my brother and i would go east into the valley and kind of south east to the general area. the waterfall is INCREDIBLE!!! it was about 30 feet high and you could walk behind it. it was a very large semicircular rock overhang that you could walk around behind the water. you could also climb to the top and look over the waterfall as well. i'm pretty sure the waterfall IS the intersection of the two creeks that are listed right near the first cords listed. you can see the topo on terraserver.
BRANDOFLUCK
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by BRANDOFLUCK »

There are lots of waterfalls at blanchard springs. Near the state park (blanchard springs caverns too). The springs have lots of tributaries when it rains that include water falls. Most of them you have to walk up or downstream to find though.
Boyd
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Boyd »

There are tons and tons of waterfalls in Arkansas, though very few of them are probably running right now due to the drought. However, spring time usually offers the best time to see the ozark waterfalls in all their glory. As someone else suggested, get the Tim Enst book, Arkansas Waterfalls. It can be purchase from the publisher here:
http://store.cloudland.net/merchant.ihtml?id=1&step=2

It's an absolutely excellent book that rates the hike into the waterfalls from easiest (no GPS required, marked trail) to hardest (complete bushwack, GPS absolutely necessary).
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by ambrosian_spelunker »

If you need a copy of Tim Ernst book let me know I can get you one free! I have all of them mapped out on an AR map plus the caves that I know of would be happy to share the info!
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

There's a decent one at Devil's Den State Park too, plus lots of good cavin'.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
kc0uxr
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by kc0uxr »

Waterfalls...yes VERY nice... The best one I have found is located east of MtnView, AR going towards Batesville... It's part of a creek that runs into White River.... research Guion Road...it is near that!
The other ones I know of are in my actual home town of Cozahome, AR (less than 50 people & post office closed down years ago) Which is off of Hwy 14 between Marshall, AR & Yelleville, AR. The waterfall is near a series of caves close to Buffallo river. I have pictures of these, however they were taken with 35mm.. I don't have a scanner to scan & post them....any volunteers on that? :D
Anyone interested in the info or directions to these caves & waterfalls PM me!
Grue
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Grue »

There's a pretty big one at Lake Sequoyah just South of Fayetteville, if I remember right. Ran across it while Geocaching.