St. Margaret's Hospital...strange

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

St. Margaret's Hospital...strange

Post by Scout »

We were up in Kansas City the other day, doing some business in an area that I seldom go to any more but that I spent a lot of time in when I was growing up. I lived briefly in KCK before moving to Overland Park where we lived for quite a few years. My Dad worked just across the Kansas river from this area though and crossed the bridge a lot to eat and get car parts, etc. At any rate, we were over there and I went to get on I-70 to get the he// out when I spied this old hospital way up on the hill above us. I decided to check it out. Turns out it is on Strawberry Hill. I thought it was St. Joseph's as it says, but it is old St. Margaret's, one of the oldest hospitals in Kansas City and at one time, the largest west of the Mississippi.

Here is the front.

East wing.

East side.

Back. You can see part of the old building, before it was redone with the tan colored brick. The old red brick building was huge too. What struck me was the lack of parking in front. More later on this...

Smokestack of the incinerator. You gotta wonder how many arms were burned up here...

And finally, a pic of the cross on the east wing. This turned out in an amazing manner, I thought.

"That old hag hates my ass."
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: St. Margaret

Post by ropingk »

great pics
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Okay, thought I'd go ahead and load the pics and then comment more.

I researched the building because though I lived in the KC area quite awhile growing up and had heard of lots of the hospitals and visited a few, I didn't remember this one. It is mentioned in an online history of Kansas City, Kansas, along with Bethany. It was built in 1887 and originally looked much different. The original was a more gothic-looking structure. I don't know whether the actual style was Gothic or Victorian, but it looked pretty severe. In back there was originally a garden, fountain, and a bunch of other stuff-quite attractive. Now there are houses built right up to the property and you can barely negotiate the turns in the alley to get behind it. I shudder to think what a semi would have to do to unload. I don't know what year it was redone, but I saw a pic of it with the tan brick which looked to be mid-fifties, so I'm thinking it was redone in the forties or fifties, to the basic configuration in these pics.

I would have loved to have entered. It looks to be in pretty good shape and I believe it was used until just here lately. I'm guessing it has stood empty at most, ten years. Probably less. There was a cop following me around though and I had attracted attention of the natives...

So I asked my Dad about the big hospital on the hill up from 7th Street. Here's the strangeness. He remembered it well. My Mom had actually spent the night there once. He didn't relate what for, but I have an idea.

A piece of Kansas City history that is forgotten and that will be torn down, as soon as somebody can figure out how to profit from it, or somebody's BIL needs a contract. Sad.

It is on the Asbestos-polluted site list, btw.
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

Wow, I looked it up on the UER DB and no one has ever put in a location for it. It currently has two easy ways into, we were in 2 weeks ago. If you are ever back, and need someone to explore with, let one of us KC people know. We've been in there a few times.
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Hey KC, could you post what it was like inside? Were there still beds in there? Desks? Was stuff intact or all in pretty bad shape?
Esoteric
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: St. Margaret's Hospital...strange

Post by Esoteric »

From what I remember (we had to make a hasty exit), it was gutted and looked like a warzone inside
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: RE: St. Margaret's Hospital...strange

Post by Scout »

Esoteric wrote:From what I remember (we had to make a hasty exit), it was gutted and looked like a warzone inside
Shixt! Thanks for the info. Too bad it's bad news.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

be a good place to wage a paint ball war
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Esoteric
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: St. Margaret's Hospital...strange

Post by Esoteric »

here is peterbillionaire's gallery from kcurbex - btw the place should be seen, it's huge

http://www.kcurbex.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=86
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

evilbob
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by evilbob »

all others don't care if they see you climbing into this place except for the white people in the area. they will call the cops on ya, but Hispanic church goers will watch you climb in and no phone calls. (I recommend infiltration away from the houses and close to the side which has a church across the street.)

this is the place that i coined the term "Hide! it's white people"
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

It's been renovated into apartments.
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER