Cosmic Cavern

Urban exploration in Arkansas
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

RE: Cosmic Cavern

Post by RaccoonCC »

Thats so sad! i hope whoever bought it takes better care of it.
I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Cosmic Cavern

Post by White Rabbit »

I've been there. In fact, I got hired there to be a cave guide once, but I didn't end up taking it because I got a really great job a week before I was supposed to start.

The cave's got a lake that's so extensive, that when the divers explored it, they couldn't keep going because they hit a current so strong that it ripped the mask off one of the divers.
RaccoonCC wrote:Thats so sad! i hope whoever bought it takes better care of it.
Well, all that was done well before the current owner. The guy that owns it now (or did own it until recently if it got sold) is pretty responsible about the cave.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

Good! That's why I was afraid that the ecosystem had already been disrupted enough. I never thought I'd be one of those kinds of people that cared about the environment, but I've turned that way.

Too much encroachment is almost impossible to erase, but given time even mother nature can fix what we screw up.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by FiReDiVeR »

How far do you have to go into the cave to get to the lake? How long ago were the divers in there? Does the water on the surface of the lake touch the ceiling of the cave, beacuse if not I am a diver and if it isnt to far in there I would like to see if we could get a group in there again. But i would only go if the water doesn't touch the ceiling where any one could dive.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

The lake is pretty much right there on the main tour, I wouldn't call it a lake. Pond maybe. But it is deep. It is nowhere near the ceiling, especially now. Way low. Divers in '93 went down and found another room down there, and at one point the lake was lower than it is now because there were formations in that room.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

I went there the spring before last (so maybe a year and a half ago) and our guide mentioned that then, in a few weeks they were having more divers come in. As far as I know they still haven't found the bottom yet. And yes, I think a pond is a more accurate description
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah. The "lake" is like pond-width, but lake-deep.

And you never know. If you call them up and are willing to sign a bunch of waivers, they might let you dive down there.
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by FiReDiVeR »

could they not just use a depth finder to find out the depth because if so i can get a portable one but then you have to talk to the owner for permission. does anyone know the owner?
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Re: RE: Cosmic Cavern

Post by bluecookies »

FiReDiVeR wrote:could they not just use a depth finder to find out the depth because if so i can get a portable one but then you have to talk to the owner for permission. does anyone know the owner?
I don't know the owner, and I've never dove into water in a cave, but I would think that under water could be just as complex of a system with passageways and other tunnels as above surface. Especially with the lack of light would make it incredibly difficult. But like I said, I really wouldn't be the one to ask.
bluefox75
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bluefox75 »

When I was a kid growing up in Berryville, we went to Cosmic Caverns a lot. It always seemed so desolate and depressing. Almost what I would think of in a ghost town. Of course, the outside of the cave was really trashed, with an old house, old rundown barn and goats if I recall.

Incidentally, when I was little, the old house was owned by an old woman who made the best character cakes. She made all the cakes for my birthdays and I remember every single one.
showmestateofmind
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Cosmic Cavern

Post by showmestateofmind »

Necro this thread. Went to Cosmic this past week. $15 pp, kids free. Found out A LOT of juicy tea and information. One of the former employees and tour guides got pissed off by the owners, broke into the cave and let his dog loose in the cave messing up foot prints that were over 100 years old. He then broke off this massive stalagmite about 4" of it. The owner of the cave, also a local sheriff, went to his house to get the stalagmite and arrest him. What in the hillbilly lmfao.

Wanted to do the deep tour, but the cave was super flooded. The back part of the cave wasn't accessed until dynamite explosion in the 1990's, so the back half of the cave is super pristine. It's actually amazing, you get to see a tour cave vs a virginal cave. It has some once in a life time formations from all humidity trapped in there. There's a 9" tall soda straw. They excavate twice a year to access to rooms. There was an army crawl tunnel but a girl scout got stuck last year and they shut it off lmfao. Kids be eatin' these days.

Also they stopped attempts to measure the bottom of the lake. A cave diver accessed a room too small for his tank, threw the tank down and swam after it to measure the cave futher. He survived, but they decided to never measure the lake again for liability reasons lmfao