Cosmic Cavern

Urban exploration in Arkansas
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Cosmic Cavern

Post by BROUSER »

So I took Monday off and stayed Sunday night down at Big Cedar. Monday we went to Cosmic Caverns because it was kind of nasty out. I liked it, for a commercial cave. There were 4 people in our little tour group, and the girl showing us around was pretty relaxed. Apparently it is a very extensive cavern, and they have wild cave tours. Has anyone done this? Also, we went to Dogwood Canyon and they pointed out where the old zinc mine was there by 86. Was wondering if anyone had checked that out.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

RE: Cosmic Cavern

Post by RaccoonCC »

Did they say how much the wild cave tours cost? They're pretty darn expensive down at talking rocks, i hope they would have a better deal.
I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Still pretty expensive. $50.00. But it sounded pretty cool.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

Yeah, i have a lakehouse near there, so i think i might go check that out, it sounds pretty cool.
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

I haven't been on the wild cave tour, but when I was there the cave was for sale. Not sure if it still is
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

So, we pool all of our money together and purchase our very own cave! that would kick ass!... I tried to do that before with theolotus and a few other friends, all we could afford was a $0.24 pac of gum. Hard to split 5 sticks with 8 people....
----------This space for rent----------
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

if I remember correct it was relatively cheap, but I think the owner was picky about who he sold it to from what I heard
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

Isn't there a lot of property with caves on them for sale in ash grove? i think i read about that on another thread.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Cosmic Cavern was for sale, but has been sold now to a guy from Florida. He is going to have to put in some serious money to update it for a show cave, needs some new walkways, and there are some portions they found that can be developed to extend the regular tour. I don't know how much of a return for outlay you could make on that. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere.
― Ken Ham
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Re: RE: Cosmic Cavern

Post by bluecookies »

BROUSER wrote:It's kind of in the middle of nowhere.
thats for sure, but I guess you can't be too picky about that sorta stuff. Unless anyone knows how to move a cave
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Re: RE: Cosmic Cavern

Post by whipping_post »

bluecookies wrote:
BROUSER wrote:It's kind of in the middle of nowhere.
thats for sure, but I guess you can't be too picky about that sorta stuff. Unless anyone knows how to move a cave
We can always ask Willard. ;)

As for a show cave, I can't see how that would be profitable. You can close it off and make a bat sanctuary, allow a few people in to view and do small, long cave tours, and try to keep the cavern as clean as possible, but otherwise the encroachment will eventually destroy some of the best parts of the cave.

Unless one of you more experienced cavers know more than I do, and you probably do! :)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

Hey, brouser, did you mean 50 bucks for a group or 50 bucks per person?
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

50.00 per person. And Cosmic Cavern was mostly a closed system until it was mined for calcite, a lot of good formations lost that way. Not much, if any, wild life. Mistakes were made at this cave. When it first opened as a show cave, the rumor went around that there was a large bat colony. The then-owner dispelled that rumour by burning tires in the cave to get rid of any bats.
― Ken Ham
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

thats rediculous, burning tires?
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I didn't really get a time frame when it was done, but it would have been quite some time ago. But you know how cave ecosystems are, that kind of damage would be damn near irrepairable. They still stock the underground lake with trout, but those were some of the unhappiest trout i think i have ever seen. No natural food, they feed them cat food.
― Ken Ham