spanish caves

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

spanish caves

Post by piplnr65656 »

Have you guys checked out the spanish caves just north of reeds springs junction. It is a big cave system with a car way back in it. North east of the cave is a large sinkhole that we send a guy down 300 feet on a winch line and he still could not see the bottom.
There are also some big caves at the end of blunks road in galena over the river about a mile upstream of the launch ramp. There are also some large caves with a bunch of indian stuff in them at the horse creek public access area. If you are standing at the launch ramp facing the river and look up to your left about 150 feet up the cliff is the cave entrance. If you repell off of the cliff face it is about 30 feet down. It is very hard to get to it but it is well worth it.
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

RE: spanish caves

Post by RaccoonCC »

Sounds really cool. I was out there tonight on my way back from Hoonetown, i wish i wouldve known! oh well.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time in that cave. I haven't been in the sink hole one, though, because I only learned about it recently. Where exactly is it in relation to the main one?
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

If you are heading down 160 and you turn left on bass holow road then right on old 160 then a quick left on reno springs road. You then turn on fox road and go threw a few 90' degree corners until you get to where there is a house on the left and to the right of the road is a downward slope. The sinkhole is straight down the hill in the hollow. The mailbox will say elder on it and there was a old multi colored school bus in there driveway that says "fun bus" on it. As the crow flies it is about a mile or so to the north east of the spanish caves. Have you been in the caves in the last few years?Last time I was in there (1997?) a large section had collapsed.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: spanish caves

Post by White Rabbit »

piplnr65656 wrote:If you are heading down 160 and you turn left on bass holow road then right on old 160 then a quick left on reno springs road. You then turn on fox road and go threw a few 90' degree corners until you get to where there is a house on the left and to the right of the road is a downward slope. The sinkhole is straight down the hill in the hollow. The mailbox will say elder on it and there was a old multi colored school bus in there driveway that says "fun bus" on it. As the crow flies it is about a mile or so to the north east of the spanish caves. Have you been in the caves in the last few years?Last time I was in there (1997?) a large section had collapsed.
Yeah, but it's been about a year since I've been there.

And yeah, that explains why I never saw that other cave. I never ventured too far away from the main cave or the road that leads down to it.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

I went to high school in galena so I know the area very well.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

piplnr65656 wrote:I went to high school in galena so I know the area very well.
We were neighbors growing up then ;)
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

White Rabbit wrote:
piplnr65656 wrote:I went to high school in galena so I know the area very well.
We were neighbors growing up then ;)

I graduated from galena in 1998
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: spanish caves

Post by White Rabbit »

I missed some of this the first time I read this thread.
piplnr65656 wrote:There are also some big caves at the end of blunks road in galena over the river about a mile upstream of the launch ramp.
I haven't been in the caves, but I've been around them where those bluffs and stuff are. When I was a little kid, I found a Darth Vader school box there (I think that's what it was anyway).
There are also some large caves with a bunch of indian stuff in them at the horse creek public access area. If you are standing at the launch ramp facing the river and look up to your left about 150 feet up the cliff is the cave entrance. If you repell off of the cliff face it is about 30 feet down. It is very hard to get to it but it is well worth it.
Yeah, I've been in that one a bunch of times, too. You don't have to go down from the top to get to it, though. If you park down at Horse Creek, walk down the river, and climb up the bluff a little ways, there's a cave opening there you can reach. It goes around inside the cliff and you come out standing in that big opening on the cliff face where you always see the buzzards and stuff.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Was it shaped like Vader's head? If so, it was probably one of those old cases they made to hold Star Wars action figures. There was one shaped like 3PO, too. I found an old Millenium Falcon playset once, halfway buried outside an old house that had been abandoned since the 80's.

Anyway, this place sounds badass. I've heard WR talk about it before, but I didn't realize how extensive it was. Either one of you guys want to give me a tour sometime? :D
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Sertile wrote:Was it shaped like Vader's head?
Yup, it was. I was like maybe six or seven at the time, so I didn't really know what it was.
Anyway, this place sounds badass. I've heard WR talk about it before, but I didn't realize how extensive it was. Either one of you guys want to give me a tour sometime? :D
Yup, I do, actually. PM'ing you.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

So, having been to Old Spanish Cave I feel the need to revive this thread, if only to ask the simple question:

Car? What car?
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

Confusion.

there was a car outside of the cave....???
I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by piplnr65656 »

Sertile wrote:So, having been to Old Spanish Cave I feel the need to revive this thread, if only to ask the simple question:

Car? What car?
There was a car inside the cave. I was talking to my brother-in-law and he told me there is a very deep hole just inside the entrance aways. He said they sacraficed a flashlight down it one time and the light just faded away and you can never hear a rock hit the bottom of it. I have not been in the cave since i was 17 or so but I have heard that a large section of it had collapsed. I think this is in the area with the large pool. We are going to go check out a few big caves in that area while we are home for christmas. At the spanish cave can you still get in by climbing over the top of the gate and between the gate and the rock face? Also can you still drive down that little road down to it in a 4X4?
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

.....yah...memories can be slightly distorted...
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.