Alabama, anyone?

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
Cade
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Alabama, anyone?

Post by Cade »

I will be moving to Northern Alabama in a year or so, and I would like to continue exploring there. Anyone have any info on Alabama urbex forums or cool places to explore?
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Alabama, anyone?

Post by SubLunar »

It looks like it is up to you to venture forth and procure the goods and to eventually share the scraps with us.

I have some stuff on my radar in that state. Yellow Creek is something to look into. Also the pumpkin, assuming it's still there. I have not seen either of those locations in person.

A little further south/east:

Birmingham was a very cool old city. I HIGHLY recommend a trip to Sloss Furnaces. It's a tourist site but you can get away with climbing around on shit if you're careful, although I'd recommend doing the climbing last because you wouldn't want to get kicked out of there before seeing the rest of the place. Sloss is fucking awesome even if you pay to get in. 10/10. There's a few other things in Birmingham to see as well.

Not sure if Republic Steel is still standing. I know they tore down a lot of the more awesome parts of it.

If you're in Northern Alabama then you're also not far from Memphis, another town with some good stuff in it.

Atlanta GA is also rad. You should have no shortage of road trips to put together down there.

Let us know what you find!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Here's my shots of Sloss. http://sublunarphotography.blogspot.com ... naces.html

It was raining its ass off that day, then it cleared up just as we were leaving. but it all worked out ok, that was an epic trip.
Cade
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Alabama, anyone?

Post by Cade »

Ok, the pumpkin, republic steel, and yellow creek are still good. I also found some other locations, but I'm not daring enough to hit the inner city ones without a larger group. Here's where I found most of my info. https://leftbirmingham.blogspot.com
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Mississippi Industrial College is pretty awesome. It's filthy and rotting into the ground. There's also a building with a fuck ton of mold and I guess no one wants to go in there. There's lots of cool stuff in that building though
aka "That Guy"
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Lots of coal and iron mines in northern Alabama. If you decide to mess around with underground coal, gas detectors, permissible equipment, and breathing apparatus are a must. You might be able to get away with surplused compressed-air bunker gear.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
Cade
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cade »

Yeah, still broke college student. Anything requiring chemical filters or above is out of my price range. :/