Way to Many Buildings in St. Louis Disappearing..

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Way to Many Buildings in St. Louis Disappearing..

Post by kokonutfreaks »

We all know Armour was demolished, The Murphy Building, along with Crestwood Plaza.

I've gotten word that the old Lever Soap Factory has explosives placed all around the building in plan to demolish it. A friend of mine just went there Wednesday and was caught by police. I don't recommend going, as you will most likely be caught.

The old Ramada Inn in Bridgeton near the airport is now completely fenced with no entry. Last time I was there, I saw 4 huge dumpster out back. Something tells me they're starting to demolish it.

I went to the old Tower Village Nursing home, north of Hyde Park about 2 weeks ago and saw a sign in front about an auction for the building being held November 18th and 19th. That either means the building will be re-purposed and boarded up, or demolished.

I've also got word that the old YMCA, south grand might be demolished and replaced with a five story apartment complex.

The Majestic Theater now has a new developer and is now boarded up. The building behind the Majestic is also planned to be demolished.

I just think that St. Louis is going a little extreme.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Way to Many Buildings in St. Louis Disappearing..

Post by mindwaave »

Just means you gotta get out there more and stay observant!
Preservation over plunder.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Way to Many Buildings in St. Louis Disappearing..

Post by Nicotti »

Old places disappear, new one's come, tis the way of the abandonment world.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Way to Many Buildings in St. Louis Disappearing..

Post by SubLunar »

That's not even all of em! Lots of high profile quality stuff is getting redeveloped right now, too. A couple of the redevelopments currently going on were some of the best spots we ever had. Between those and Armour's demolition, it's really damn depressing..

STL is kinda small as far as cities go anyway. You can only spend so much time going around the same areas before you need to get out. I've been getting out a lot lately.