Gourd Creek Cave

Urban exploration in Missouri
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Gourd Creek Cave

Post by StLouisGlobetrotter »

I successfully found a cave! I just got back from a six hour hike which included exploring large sections of Gourd Creek Cave and the surrounding area in Phelps County. It shows up on most topo maps that I could find (I'm still not good at reading topo maps) and the Caves of Missouri provides an awesome amount of information.

The entrance to the cave is massive, about 60 feet tall and probably twice that in width. It maintains that shape well into the entrance, and then once you start losing the sun it begins to narrow down to about 15x8ft with a small stream running through. There's one extremely beautiful formation of flowstone that we were careful to avoid, as well as several small pools that frogs live in. One of the coolest sections was a mud staircase that we climbed up about 35ft vertically. The ceiling was about 50 feet above our heads in that narrow passage and we could have climbed up to the top, but we were not geared for it and with our muddy shoes I called it off, too dangerous. We went as far back as we could walk without stooping, and then crawled about 100ft in some shallow water before realizing we would be reaching areas that were too narrow for us to fit comfortably through. Also our elbows hurt.

Caves of Missouri says that this crawling passage actually extends further and even comes to an area where the ceiling is raised and there is exposed sunlight, but we didn't get that far. We did, however, explore the area outside the cave and found the second back entrance. As the book says, it was blocked off and only permitted slight viewing, but it was still really awesome. Unfortunately, this second entrance was guarded by an uncomfortable amount of thorny bushes and what must have been a direct descendant of Shelob herself, so we didn't go in.

I'll be posting pictures below, PM me if you want the location (although it's quite easy to locate with a little bit of research and the right resources.)
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Gourd Creek Cave

This is the entrance to Gourd Creek Cave. About 60ft tall and over 100ft wide. The bluffs above are easily accessible.

StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

The best flowstone in the cave. Sadly there weren't many formations, but it didn't look like that was due to vandalism which is good.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/ ... e=588B41BF
(Image function doesn't seem to work for this one. Try just following the link.)

Cave froggo. These adorable little bastards were everywhere.

Of COURSE we had to leave a clay genitalia. Why else would you go to a cave? I apologize for my amateur sculpting ability.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/ ... e=58D2E01F
(Damn, same problem here. Just click the link for a NSFW[?] funny.)
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/ ... e=589D1BF6

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/1 ... 2937_o.jpg

Yup. Img functionality has officially borked itself for me. The first picture is a monument we made after finding daylight again, the second picture is the back entrance to the cave.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Awesome!

Yeah the image tags only works if the link ends with .jpg or .bmp, the last link you posted that ends with .jpg should work though.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
ThumYorky
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ThumYorky »

Did you come across any skanky locals? Every time I go there it's crawling with meth heads digging for treasure.
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Nah, it was just me and the two guys I went with. I don't believe we classify as "skanky" although I do have a fine ass if I do say so myself. Unfortunately there was some graffiti around the entrance and we saw evidence of a lot of campfires and litter. Actually the campfires themselves would have been fairly innocuous (the entrance would be a great place for a small fire) if not for the beer cans and baggies scattered about. I'm hoping to take another trip sometime in the next few weeks/months to address some of the litter.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Before you go back, I'd recommend reading about the archaeological history of Gourd Creek Cave.

Starts at the bottom of the page here

It will give you some perspective on just what you're seeing. This book also discusses Roubidoux cave and areas surrounding Rolla, Phelps and Pulaski counties. Talks about Miller cave where they pulled out truckloads of pottery, stone tools, arrowheads, and a few bodies that had been buried. Super interesting stuff within. Read!
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

StLouisGlobetrotter wrote:Image
I see your penis and I raise you one erection.

StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

That was my inspiration :oops: Yours is finely crafted. I think the vein is a nice touch (phrasing). I hate to admit it, but yours IS bigger than mine (um, phrasing). My fellow explorers were quite annoyed with the wet and so I had to half-cock the job (PHRASING). I think they were remembering a time be fore skin got wet (I'm not even going to pretend this isn't intentional at this point. Penis).