Big... Fucking... Tunnel... in Tulsa

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Big... Fucking... Tunnel... in Tulsa

Post by bugo »

Riverside Park is pretty long. Do you know what cross street the tunnel is close to? (41st, 51st, etc?)
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Holy shit I got a woody. What a cool thread.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Re: RE: Big... Fucking... Tunnel... in Tulsa

Post by gimpface »

bugo wrote:Riverside Park is pretty long. Do you know what cross street the tunnel is close to? (41st, 51st, etc?)
Nope. It's very close to a bridge of some sort, though. Maybe the converted RR bridge? I dunno, but it was not very hard to find at all.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

a pic
Attachments
fairly close to the entrance still
fairly close to the entrance still
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

More pics! Hooray!

(Edit: these are in reverse order for some reason, so start at the bottom and work your way up.)
Attachments
Curse that handsome devil!
Curse that handsome devil!
Pretty close to the entrance.
Pretty close to the entrance.
"Smoke crack and worship Satan!"- Words to live by.
"Smoke crack and worship Satan!"- Words to live by.
graffiti1.jpg
Boo!
Boo!
D'oh!
D'oh!
Probably twenty five to thirty feet up to the street... didn't try it (way too slippery)
Probably twenty five to thirty feet up to the street... didn't try it (way too slippery)
Taggers are afraid of the dark I guess.
Taggers are afraid of the dark I guess.
This is in a weird squarish area that is thirty to forty feet high.
This is in a weird squarish area that is thirty to forty feet high.
We doubled back to this tunnel after we ran into a horrible rotting egg smell a while after that last pic
We doubled back to this tunnel after we ran into a horrible rotting egg smell a while after that last pic
Where we exited
Where we exited
Where the hell are we?!
Where the hell are we?!
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Big... Fucking... Tunnel... in Tulsa

Post by ARLT1YJ »

Great trip Gimpface... thanks for posting your adventure. I liked your 'taggers are afraid of the dark comment.' I guess they don't have enough hands for flashlights, or enough sense to buy a headlamp.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Thanks. It was odd, there was a huge amount of graffiti near the entrance, and it just gradually died down until there was none. It was kind of a shock when I noticed.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

we just need to send our own fetti out there 8)
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

I live in tulsa and have been down this very large tunnel several times, it goes for a couple of miles. It splits off into 3 seperate tunnels in one large room. The main large tunnel goes under a cemetary at 11th and peroria (if you believe in the stuff, could be the reason you got the rotten egg smell, aka sulfur, some have said spirits can emit that smell...). From there it has an over flow drain going into it from centennial park at 6th and madison. There is a manhole there where you can access the entire tunnel system. If you head east from there, it just keeps getting smaller, that is when I turned back.... Back to the large room where they split off, if you choose the middle tunnel, it will take you to a manhole at 15th and boston in a parking lot. If you want to go further in tunnel, it will just keep gettin smaller to the point of crawling, never fun... And I dont know of a exit from the tunnel on the left... I turned after it got smaller after awhile. There are several different tunnel system like this in tulsa. One that I found recently is in northern downtown tulsa. I believe it may even go under the brady district. I'm still not sure. But its very old, round tunnels of all brick in some parts... I have many pictures, I will post them soon.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

This is the entrance to large tunnel in tulsa on the arkansas river
Attachments
This is the large tunnel in tulsa exiting on the arkansas river
This is the large tunnel in tulsa exiting on the arkansas river
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

A very large room in the tunnel. It splits off into two differnt tunnels on the left, and the right one continues on to the centennial park at 6th and madison.
Attachments
STP60098.JPG
braintech928
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by braintech928 »

i work for the city of tulsa about 2 years ago we did some work in those tunnels about a half mile in we had tractors dump trucks in that hell hole....an old friend of mine told me that those tunnels stretch to south tulsa and other parts of tulsa and where used for trash truck
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Re: RE: Big... Fucking... Tunnel... in Tulsa

Post by gimpface »

Fiend wrote:A very large room in the tunnel. It splits off into two differnt tunnels on the left, and the right one continues on to the centennial park at 6th and madison.
If I recall correctly, this is where we doubled back to after hitting the smell, which I'm far more worried about being hydrogen sulfide than evil spirits. I can deal with being possessed, but I really don't need my lungs full of sulfuric acid.

After we came back to that room, we went until the next fork and I think we took the right tunnel. It eventually became very, uncomfortably small, but we wound up popping out near an offramp. I really want to go back there sometime.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

Alright folks, below is a simple map that I made of this tunnel system. It’s very accurate for the most part, except where the three tunnels meet; I could be off as much as 75ft for the location of that large room, and some of the curves of the tunnels can be off (its impossible to get that accurate). I labeled them "Tunnel A, Tunnel B, & Tunnel C" for the lack of anything better. I'm unsure as to where tunnel C goes, but I know it goes in the general direction that I drew it in. Tunnel B, is the one that gimpface said he took, although I didnt go as far as him, I got out through a manhole on 15th street, which I marked with a blue dot. Tunnel A goes on past central park (aka centennial park) and it will eventually size down into two parallel tunnels that seem to go on forever, I haven’t explored them all the way. There are a few little tunnels and manholes here and there in that tunnel system that I did not show on the map, because that would require a little more field research on my part to locate. The 2nd and 3rd manhole for tunnel A are just there for reference. I wouldn’t attempt to get in the tunnel through those, because those manholes where about 50ft to 60ft above my head when I was in the tunnel, and no ladder to get to them. Which tells me that tunnel A can be as much as 60ft underground in someparts. This is a very interesting tunnel system to explore.
Attachments
Map.jpg
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Awesome map!