Tunnels in Downtown Tulsa

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Tunnels in Downtown Tulsa

Post by Fiend »

I have come accross this string of text on various websites (actually fewer by the day, someone is removing this text). It talks about the "center of the universe", which is in downtown, and I have been there. Its on a bridge just north of the BOK tower. But I'm not interested in that, its what it says after that. So I'm hoping someone could shed some light on where these old tunnels are. I'm guessing by how its worded that it is very close to the center of the universe. Here is the what I have pulled from a few websites.

"Another unique local downtown landmark is the "Center of the Universe", which is located on the arched pedestrian bridge, next to the old Tulsa Union Depot (the future home of the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame). To experience the acoustic phenomenon of the Center of the Universe, all one needs to do is to stand in the middle of the circle on the arch of the bridge and speak. This part of downtown is always fairly empty of people, especially at night, and is a good place for urban exploration. At the bottom of the steps, next to the train tracks, is a sewer grate which, as legend has it, leads eventually to Tulsa's defunct system of underground tunnels, which supposedly stretch throughout downtown."

There are steps on that bridge that go down to a parking lot. There is a drainage grate down there, but you cant open it. But about 20' away, next to the fence, is a storm sewer manhole. It is next to the train tracks. I have yet to open it because it is in a fairly open area and people tend to walk around over there. Although downtown can be pretty much dead in the evenings on the weekend. I suspect this manhole could be the way in.... I dont know. I know there are tunnels west of there, I have been in them. You can get into them from a manhole under the I-244 overpass, and I believe they go east... They are very old, fairly good size, and go for a ways. These could connect to the "defunct tunnels", but I dont know cuz I havent explored them all the way. Anybody know of these "defunct tunnels"?
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: Tunnels in Downtown Tulsa

Post by cousin »

do some searching on here, there are several threads about Tulsa's tunnels.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Tunnels in Downtown Tulsa

Post by Fiend »

I've looked around on this site, and really only found info on tunnels I already knew about... So, I may go downtown this weekend and pop open a few manholes in that area, and see what I can find. Maybe saturday evening...
braintech928
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by braintech928 »

there are a few tunnels downtown cant remeber all of them on of them tho runs from the hotel (hoilday inn i think)to the convention center for all those famous people to use
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

I've been in those tunnels you speak of, although its been at least a decade. They are open to the general public and you can even get tours of them (at least you use to). They are lighted underground passage ways that go under the streets to parking garages and other buildings. They were built for businessmen and other people to get back and forth from building to building with no worries, that’s basically the history in a nutshell. Not too exciting if you ask me, especially since they aren’t exactly secret or hidden, people use them on a daily basis, but they are interesting to explore. The tunnels I have been looking for are storm sewer tunnels. They will be larger, much more vast, and definitely not lighted and carpeted. I have been in large storm sewer tunnels just north and south of downtown. But I have yet to find tunnels that go under central downtown, and I know they have to be there. The water going down those drains has to go somewhere...
Attachments
62498547_74f8cf52e9.jpg
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: Tunnels in Downtown Tulsa

Post by Scout »

Damm I wish I'd got on here this weekend. I was in Tulsa all weekend. Stinkin' Oklahoma forum gets no traffic for like three months then...
"That old hag hates my ass."