Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
betrumka
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Post by betrumka »

In the foothills of the Ozarks about 40 minutes east of Tulsa take the Locust Grove/Tahlequah exit off of the Cherokee Turnpike. Turn south towards Tahlequah but only go a few humdred yards. Take your first right and then immediately left. Continue forward for about 2miles. If you go to the end of this dirt road you will find yourself in the former hub of Camp Scott.

Elsewhere on this website there is mention of Girl Scout murders. This did happen in Oklahoma in 1977. Camp Scott had been in existence since the 1930's I believe. The day that these mureders happened was the last day the camp was in business. The camp never reopened for obvious reasons.

3 very young girls from Tulsa were murdered in a case that is officially still unsolved. The police thought they had the right man, Gene Leroy Hart, but he was later acquited in a trial.

When you come into the camp area you will see the delpidated mess hall and shower area. There is also a former pavillion/meeting hall. All of these buildings are visible from your car at the end of this road.

The camp is now privately owned. The people who own it are friendly but not that friendly. If you go to look at the former camp go at your own risk. Even though you are only a few miles from a major Oklahoma Turnpike you will be quite aware of the fact that you are in the middle of nowhere. It also becomes apparent how a murder like this could be pulled off because of the remote location.

Claim ignorance if anyone asks what you are doing there. My experience is that they are very nice if you say that you are simply looking for a private campgrounds (that is located about a mile further down off the state highway you turned off of).

Wish I had some pictures to share but I have never snooped around all that much.

Here are a couple of sites to look at:

http://www.osbi.state.ok.us/History/Gir ... urders.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/girlscoutmurders/

http://www.geocities.com/welkerlots/hart.htm
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah, this is the one that started all the girl scout legends about places.

I've actually been to Locust Grove, but I was there for my job and didn't have time to snoop around. You're right, too. That area is is pretty remote, almost looks like the desert in places in that part of OK.

When I go to Tulsa next I'm planning on driving down there as well.
betrumka
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by betrumka »

If you've ever been to boy scout or girl scout camp you undoubtedly heard stories around the camp fire about such things. The whole Friday the 13th Series is based on a camp murder scenario.

I'm sure such stories were told before 1977 but this is the real deal. Three very young girls, pulled out of their tent, one by one, bludgened, killed, raped and then dragged away from their campsite by the killer.

Hollywood could not have come up with anything more gruesome.

Read "Someone Cry For the Children". Its written by two investigators who worked on the case from day one. It goes into the very harrowing details of the murders as well as the subsequent investigation, manhunt and trial.

Yes, this is an abandoned site in the Ozarks area but this place carries some very real baggage. It is a bit different than going through drainage tunnels.
atron
Jedi Infiltrator
Jedi Infiltrator

Post by atron »

Hey im a new member but, viewed the old site last year.
Anyways just thought I'd let you know I live right near this place about 10 miles away and my best friend lives abotu a mile away. We ventured there one night but were spotted about halfway into the camp and we drove off. I can get some more information on it, if youd like.
Also another interesting place that we used to go to in HS was the SALINE COURTHOUSE, its in SALINA, OK and is abandoned and supposedly haunted. I look forward to an outing soon!
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Post some pictures if you do, man! :)
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

I looked at the links from the first post on the topic and at the end was this paragraph:

"At the cave, local, county, and state lawmen searched for Gene LeRoy Hart. The lawmen searching in the wooded area had thousands of ticks crawling on them. When they got inside the cave, lawmen found no ticks. The lawmen's theory was that Hart had used Indian medicine to ward them off (W & W 85). On a cave wall, lawmen found a written message. It said that the person who killed the Girl Scouts had been living in the cave since the murders. The person who wrote the message called the lawmen fools."

Why do I find the mention of Indian medicine to ward off ticks funny? Doesn't seem to fit in this article. :?
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Post by White Rabbit »

ann_marie wrote:Why do I find the mention of Indian medicine to ward off ticks funny? Doesn't seem to fit in this article. :?
I think that Gene LeRoy Hart guy was a member of one of the tribes out there. Seems like I remember reading that, anyway.
atron
Jedi Infiltrator
Jedi Infiltrator

Post by atron »

Ya his trial was in Pryor last year, hes Cherokee, I believe.
betrumka
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Gene Leroy Hart

Post by betrumka »

Gene Hart was a Cherokee Indian from Locust Grove. He was an All State Football player in high school and was recruited by some Division I colleges. He had a pregnant girlfriend after high school and this kept him out of a college football career.

He was schooled in what is called the "old ways". He learned about survival in the wildreness. He also learned about magic or what he would call "medicine".

If you read the book that the other poster is quoting from they go into the depth to which thousands of Cherokees believe in "medicine". The book is called "Someone Cry for the Children". It is out of print but look at the price it goes for on eBay! I think I paid $40 for my copy.

Many of the investigators, who were also Indians of different tribes, believes or theorized that Hart was using "medicine" to keep himself hidden from the police.

One of the spookiest parts of the book is when one of the lead investigators, a very highly experienced and educated man, went to see a Cherokee medicine man.

After this visit the medicine man gave the police medicine to use. Within a few days they had captured Hart. Hart had been on the run for almost 1 year.

What is hard for me to believe is that this type of culture exists so close to Tulsa, major turnpikes and other decent size cities. To know that 40 minutes east of where I live there are Indians who speak better Cherokee than English and that there are some who regularly use Indian "medicine". That is fascinating to me.
betrumka
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by betrumka »

Gene Leroy Hart's trial was in 1978 or '79. He has been dead since shortly after the trial.
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

I found a copy of "Someone Cry for the Children", a paperback on Ebay. Started a bidding war so now I am just waiting for a minute before the auction ends and hopefully I will win it. I think it's at $8.50 right now. Thanks for the info!
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
betrumka
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by betrumka »

If you find a copy for that price then take it! It has been going for much more on ebay and on amazon.com

I just checked on amazon and they are going used for $40.

I see a cool paperback on there with the old cover. Is that the one you got? I used to have that copy back when the book first came out. I bought the hardback recently. I could almost swear that there were details missing in the hardback edition. Myabe it was reworked for a new edition.

Let me know if you get it! ..and then what you think of the story...
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

Well I didn't get the paperback for $8.50. I wasn't home when the auction ended. I bid for a few more and they went over 40 bucks. But I won one last night for $28.49. It appears that this book is in high demand so after I read it, I just I will sell it too just to make back what I paid.

I will read it as soon as I get it. One thing I did find out though is that Gene Hart was 100% indian. Anyway...we'll have more to talk about when I read it.

^*^ ann marie ^*^
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

So I got my hardback copy of the book yesterday in the mail. I started reading it last night before bed. I didn't realize the girls were in tents? I thought they were in barracks or something? That's how it was when I went camping in 4th grade, but that wasn't with girl scouts that was with my school. Anyway, I am looking forward to reading more tonight.

~Ann Marie~
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I didn't realize the girls were in tents? I thought they were in barracks or something?
In the older days of scouting Girl Scouts camped and did everything like the Boy Scouts still do. Sometime durring the past 20 years the Girl Scouts have gotten away from the rough and tough camping and such. When I was growing up I knew several girls that didn't wanted to join the Boy Scouts instead of the Girl Scouts because the Boy Scouts actually went camping and did things that were "more fun." Anyway, sorry about the rant...
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude