abandon building?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

abandon building?

Post by bluecookies »

This could be a total nothing. For awhile now I've noticed one or two possible abandon buildings at the corner of Campbell and Catalpa st. It struck my attention because one building that sits behind the other is like 6 or 7 maybe stories high but the floors themselves are very very small and it has a noticable fire escape on the outside as well. Does anyone know what this building is or was? Who knows, it may not even be abandon for all I know.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: abandon building?

Post by Willard »

The building you're talking about is owned by the Fire Dept. They use it for training. Nothing special and I don't recomend exploring it.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Now I know what you're talking about! Yea, the view would be cool, but that's probably it. But since I love getting new vantage points, I'd like to go.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

The problem I mentioned before is it's owned by Spfd. Fire Dept. Not exactly a good thing to explore and get caught.. concidering it's in the middle of a residential area not to mention right next to Campbell... which I see cops down that road a lot... oh yeah and it's near Parkview... and does the words "Homeland Security" mean anything to anyone?

This is Springfield, not the country... and this place isn't exactly hidden to where noone will see you enter or climb up inside or anything (plus the outside fire escape is the only way up...)

Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

The words No Trespassing mean nothing to me, but Homeland Security does. I'd like to get up there, but I'll just settle for something less scrutinized.
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

my first thought was that it was an old fire house or something, but I didn't know if they were still using it or what. But like you said, prob not the best to explore
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Yeah, I know exactly where you're talking about, and I've considered it many times. I just never saw a practical way up it. Then again, I never really tried, either. You think they'd actually involve homeland security, or just tell you to get down? It is, after all, just a burnt-out hollow shell of a building. It's basically a facade with a fire escape bolted on to it.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I work with a volenteer fireman,(for the big town of St Clair) and I asked him about it he said if you went there when they were training and the captian was not a jerk and they wrent in the middle of something special they would probaly let you play with then
I dont know but it might be worth asking??
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

It's always good to ask when it comes to government...

Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Alright, I went and checked this place out today. If anyone wants to try they can easily get up it. See, the fire escape doesn't actually reach the ground, but there are stairs around the side that terminate about 10 feet off the ground, and there's a little gap between where the stairs end and the fire escape starts. It'd just be a simple matter of stepping across.

If anyone tries it, I want pictures from the top!
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

the best time to go is at night because it gets really dark over there. But if you want the pictures you have to do it during the day and there is WAY too much activity for me to do that during the day for sure.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Hey, remember this thread? I meant to post something sooner, but I came back with my friend Arch a few weeks ago, I think the night before we did the MFA building, and totally climbed it. It wasn't at all difficult, either, you just have to be able to climb up to where the fire escape starts. It's clear sailing from there.

There's a set of inside stairs in addition to the fire escape, but those don't really go anywhere. The actual building's completely empty, except for an old exercise bike, and not all that interesting. There's a ladder at the top of the fire escape that leads to the roof.

We went pretty late, around midnight, and Arch spotted me while I climbed. Like I said, it was pretty easy and I never felt like I was in any danger. Sorry, no pictures!
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/