Missouri Morel Season

You can talk about anything here
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Missouri Morel Season

Post by paul06660 »

I am new to the hobby of hunting Missouri Morel Mushrooms.
Had done it last year, however we did not find very many.

What is the usual time the season starts? I know its early spring, but I think its too early right now.
Also I think that this should be a good season since all the recent rains.

What are the best kind of places to look for them?
I usually look around dead tree matter, or wherever else.
:P

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Missouri Morel Season

Post by BROUSER »

River bottoms, any where there is a lot of of leaf litter. After this next round of rain and next high temp should be great hunting.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Weird looking. How do they taste? Can you sell em'?

My only experience hunting fungi was many years ago. I often used to collect a certain variety that we used as an additive for making tea. Sometimes, after damp spring, early summer and early fall nights, during which the temperatures ranged between ~50 and 65 degrees F, a good many pounds could be collected and stuffed into bread bags.

We'd collect these from cow fields in Louisiana near rivers, lakes, or swamps.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

redox wrote:Weird looking. How do they taste? Can you sell em'?

My only experience hunting fungi was many years ago. I often used to collect a certain variety that we used as an additive for making tea. Sometimes, after damp spring, early summer and early fall nights, during which the temperatures ranged between ~50 and 65 degrees F, a good many pounds could be collected and stuffed into bread bags.

We'd collect these from cow fields in Louisiana near rivers, lakes, or swamps.
These wouldn't be "Magic Mushrooms" would they? :roll:

Anyways thanks Brouser.
I used to go up to Fellows Lake and hunt off the woods next to the dam. Found some, not much.
Hope this year is better.

Oh yeah, they taste great, especially with steak.
Curor
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Missouri Morel Season

Post by Curor »

Is there any kind of key identifying mark(s)? I always have wanted to pick my own mushrooms but never knew anyone that knew what types were good and which to avoid.
Everyone else who lets me ride on their dinosaur calls me Carlos.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Yes, you can sell Morels. Go price some dried ones at a specialty food store. Fresh ones sell for even more. Maybe even more than psylocibin. There are delicious. We always just bread them and deep fry them. They don't taste like chicken. If you find any, mark the spot in your memory. They will come back to the same place again, year after year unless the ground is disturbed. You have to find them about mid-morning or as quickly as they come up, because turkey and deer love them, too.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

I hate to talk about illegal substances much, but I have seen Magic ones go for $50 a 1/4 oz around here. Out west they are more common and you can get them for almost nothing.

Now Morels dried in a 6 oz package at Dillions will run you like $10. Now Fresh they are really expensive. Id say about $20 per pound or more. I would rather save them and eat them myself as they are a rare treat.

Man I cant wait till it gets warm next week, Ill go out every day If I can. I remember spots from last year that I need to check out. I want to get ones that are like a foot tall, and then dip them in batter!!
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Damn, I didn't realize people would pay that much for something (psylocibin) that grows in shit. Just goes to show you, people are too lazy to go get their own for free.
― Ken Ham
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

BROUSER wrote:Fresh ones sell for even more.
Where would one sell fresh ones?
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Farmer's Market, maybe. Resteraunts, too, I would say. There's a job market for you. Could hunt and sell morels, and ginseng, and various other natural herbs and medicinals.
Edit: Hell, I bet if you sold them off your tailgate at a roadside stand, you'd clear out of them in no time.
Edit: quick Google search http://www.wiebketrading.com/morel_mushrooms.html
― Ken Ham
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

BROUSER wrote:There's a job market for you. Could hunt and sell morels, and ginseng, and various other natural herbs and medicinals.
I've been leaning toward clandestine moonshine distillery operator myself.
Edit: Hell, I bet if you sold them off your tailgate at a roadside stand, you'd clear out of them in no time.
I might have to try that one, though. Take 'em to Branson and really sucker the tourists.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I've thought about moonshining since I saw something on it on the History channel. But I also know there were a couple of guys busted for it not too long ago in Douglas County, I think. It looks interesting. Could also make beer, and mead, and all kinds of wine, grow a little weed. Anything goes except meth lab. That's illegal and dangerous. And your customers would all be meth-heads. I can deal with drunks and potheads, but people on meth are nuts. Like that deal that happened in Marionville yesterday, where the guy shot the cop. I'm betting when they figure out what happened and why, meth will be involved.
― Ken Ham
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

People will buy anything in Branson as long as it correctly matches our Redneck Lifestyles.

Most Psiloscybin mushrooms are grown indoors to maximize productivity. I have looked for them in many cow fields at night during heavy fog. I havent ever found any around here. I have grown them before, but I wont talk about that for "your (my) protection"
I dont do it any more though, although I do know where to get spore syringes already prepared in a real labratory.

I have made bank doing this, but I also had to fend off cops too. That is not much fun. I rather just not do it anymore as I have never had a drug charge or had any felonies.

Its really not that hard to do, you just need the materials and a steryle environment.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

My sister in law has bought morel spores and attempted to grow them, but no luck. I've read about growing portobello mushrooms, and have seriously considered doing that. Next to morels, portobellos are my favorite fungus.
― Ken Ham
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

I do not condone ANY illegal activity.
However, If you really like to study mushrooms, here
is a good sight.

www.sporeworks.com

You can order differient kinds of species of fungi here.
It is not illegal to study Psiloscybes, however it IS illegal to grow them.