Carthage Tunnels - not the underground - not the lake

Urban exploration in Missouri
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Carthage Tunnels - not the underground - not the lake

Post by cousin »

Under downtown Carthage, the square area, there is a tunnel system of sorts that connected most of the business's in that area to each other. The entrance to the tunnel was located in the basements of the buildings and. Today most of the entrances have been sealed over in one form or another, most of the being blocked or bricked.

I know several owners of buildings on the square and none of them are hot on the idea of letting someone explore the besement and potenially knocking a hole in their basement walls.

This tunnel is suppose to be tied to the Carthage Cave

I know of one or two buildings have only a wooden door over the entrance and I am in the process of trying to purchase one of the buildings, if the deal comes through I will be posting pictures of my findings

this post is tied into some of the posts in this thread

viewtopic.php?t=4096
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Re: Carthage Tunnels - not the underground - not the lake

Post by Kit »

hmm you dont have to buy the building to see the basement if its for sale just go look at it like you want to buy it... they will let you in the basement. :)
Kit wrote:I am old
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

RE: Carthage Tunnels - not the underground - not the lake

Post by cousin »

I have been in the specific building many times over the years. And I am actually looking at purchasing it to turn it into a home. The doorway in the basement is covered by some wood and has a couple conduit lines, they should be able to just be loosened and move the door to the side.
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

So do you think it really go's into part of the Infamous Carthage Cave?

That would be awsome!! I would love to explore that cave...I know the stupid things still there somewhere!!!
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Dude, if a big part of you wanting a house on the square is to gain entrance to the cave system, I'd want to KNOW that it did before I purchased it. We travel to Carthage every year and have for years now, just to look at the Christmas lights. I've traveled there for some other reasons too and have some familiarity with the town. No offense but, there are a lot of other places in town that I'd rather live than the square. For one thing, you've got that low-income hotel over there on the east side. Anyways, look before you leap-I always says... 8)
"That old hag hates my ass."
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

i would make sure before i bought it and started working my way into other buildings basements that they werent open to the main building and i wasnt going to go to jail for tresspass.
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

I have actually wanted to purchase this specific building for atleast 5 years, if not longer. I am not going to purchase it, just because it potentially has an entrance in the basement. My wife wants to buy it worse that what I do and she doesn't have a clue about the doorway. Have you driven by and looked at the low-income apartment building, you wouldn't have a clue.

REgardless I am the one looking at buying it and it's my money...

Does it tie into the Carthage Cave? I don't know
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

The bank where the workers in the 60's...I think...were doing work and accidently broke through into the "Carthage Cave" was located on the square if I recall correctly!!!
They heard rushing water and lowered a worker down into the opening in an attempt to find the bottom but it was too deep...I guess they didn't have the Nads to find a longer rope!! I guess they filled the hole and went about their business...I can't recall them ever saying anything further about the cave...
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Cousin, no offense intended. I was just tryin' to help out. By all means, it is your money. Good luck.
"That old hag hates my ass."
paulwilsonkc
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by paulwilsonkc »

You guys, I have files of info on the Carthage cave. There ARE no entrances on the square. None. There are none in the old Harrington's Radiator Shop where they dug and dug. All of the explorations to FIND the opening have failed because they are doing what most people do. They look for mysterious solutions to mysterious problems instead of researching FACTS. That was my approach and I have three documented openings, but always looking for more info before I tackle it full time. Also, there is no RUSHING water, there is however a lake. Thanks!
Looking for info on Carthage Cave

paulwilsonkc@gmail.com
913 486 7082
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

paulwilsonkc wrote: Also, there is no RUSHING water, there is however a lake. Thanks!
you know that to be true even when it rains long and hard?
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

Kit wrote:you know that to be true even when I take it long and hard?
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

hehehe
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »