Carthage - Morrow Mill

Post by cousin »

An old silo East of Carthage

ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: Carthage - Morrow Mill

Post by ropingk »

Did you manage to get inside the silos??? well maybe not in them but a shot of the inside????
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Very cool.

Where do you go from the ladder you were climbing, though?
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

ropingk wrote:Did you manage to get inside the silos??? well maybe not in them but a shot of the inside????
we didn't get inside of them, but it can easily be done
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

White Rabbit wrote:Very cool.

Where do you go from the ladder you were climbing, though?
to the building on top/where i am standing facing the camera. there is about a 5-6 foot gap from the top of the ladder to the floor, it's kinda interesting, considering i am VERY scared of heights
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Bet there's some good rapids through the stream there during flood season.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

The cave that used to lay under carthage...still does..just probably filled with silt now...anyway
Back in the 40's or 50's...they put die and either tennis or pingpong balls in an opening behind a gas station...I think it was at 10th and Garrison...
Some of them surfaced in the area of Morrow Mill...they think that the cave runs or used to run under it in that area.
How far is Morrow Mill from downtown Carthage...Never could figure out where Morrow Mill was...Just read the story in an old paper.
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

RE: Carthage - Morrow Mill

Post by cousin »

The file has the old gas station, the court house and morrow mill marked. There are tons of rumors about "the Carthage Cave" There are tunnels under parts of the square and extending an undeterminded distance, I would say 99% of the entrances have been blocked and you can only access them from basements of buildings.

http://www.cdezzz.com/UE/Morrow%20Mill.kmz
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

What buildings? I've been in some of those basements.
"That old hag hates my ass."
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

Pretty much all of the buildings on the square and the ones that are within 2 blocks have an entrance. Most of them have been covered in some sorts or another, I know of a couple buildings that they just have a wooden door and very little in front of them to keep you out. I know several building owners on the square and none of them are real hot about the idea of letting someone in the basement to do some exploring. I am in the process of trying buy a building that has an entrance and if I can put the deal together I will be exploring it soon.

Another neat thing about the Carthage downtown area, is the road level use to be between 2-6 feet lower than the current level. When building owners and the city have been excavating close to those buildings their have been some interesting discoveries as far as old store fronts and what not. Alot of the building also, you to have a basement entrance on the front of the building.
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

Im curious about the basement accesses.
Are you refering to business's around the carthage square having accesses to the "Carthage Cave".
If your serious about this...and please don't take this wrong...is this an urban legend or do have anything to support this...again i'm definatly not trying to offend anyone...the only reason I ask is that when I was in high school I spent some ill gotten time cutting school and hanging out in the joplin library. I put together a pretty good size file of information in the carthage cave and I never heard that particular claim regarding businesses around the square having entrances.
I rememeber them doing searches for the entrance to the cave at least twice...once in the 60's and once in the 80's or early 90's...I just would figure someone would have come out during one of those time's and let someone know about their opening in the basement.
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

In defense of basement entrances....I remember one of the articles in my carthage cave file was an account of a time in the 60's or 70's...I'd have to look to be sure...they were doing work on one of the banks on or around the square when workers broke into a cavern...the account from the workers stated that they attempted to lower a worker into the hole but it was too deep...however the worker did hear the sound of rushing water.
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

The original entrance WAS actually suppose to be located behind the gas station at 10th and Garrison!
They had numerious accounts of this location...however the cave...at least at this location, was used to devert storm water out of the streets and keep them from flooding as bad. This is why the cave...at least this part of it eventually filled up with silt.
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

If you want to PM me about this thats cool...let me know
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Good job monkeymann. Damn good info and interesting story. :D
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?